Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 5:57:22 PM EST
I currently have an early Elcan but would like info from the learned members of this forum on their ideal combat optic and why.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:08:57 AM EST
Magnified or not?

For Magnified I think we all pretty much agree on the TA-31 for it's size, toughness, bullet drop compensator, and BAC reticule.

For non magnified its a toss-up between the Aimpoint (the Lumpy crowd) and the EOTech 552 (the SMGLee crowd). Both are excellent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:37:29 PM EST
Thanks for the input Forest. I was thinking magnified but I have heard good things about the EO Tech from an old buddy that just got back from Iraq with the 82nd. Guess I will have to see if I can try one on the range someday.

I actually had the option of getting an ACOG instead of the Elcan but was told that the Elcan was the preferred sight of choice when the Army did their early testing of optics in the 90s.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:45:31 PM EST
Elcan's have great glass (lots of light gathering). However unless you have a 4th generation mount there are issues. The ACOGs with BAC have a lit reticule under most conditions and it allows it to be used similar to a 'red dot' optice when doing CQB. Something neither the ELCAN nor the TA01 ACOGs can do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:41:55 PM EST
Thanks again Forest.

What issues were there with the mounts?

Guess I'll have to try the EO Tech & an ACOG with BAC. Any reticle recommendations?

Steve

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:30:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:08:21 PM EST
I have a 4th gen Elcan, and a 3x24 compact acog. I like both

O yea, have an Eotech too. <--- awesome for CQB
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:02:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By black6:
Guess I'll have to try the EO Tech & an ACOG with BAC. Any reticle recommendations?

For the TA-31 the donut is the most popular.

For the EOTech I like the ring/dot combo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:53:09 AM EST
Echoing Forest.

and

The ELCAN is not a great GP scope for it is hard to pick up in close quickly (unless it is low light).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:35:09 PM EST
I just got a Bushnell 552 (not the same as the EOTech 552, less depth of water proofing, does not have the external protector, and no night vision setting) and found the best prices on some on line camera shops. I got mine from www.digitalfoto.com. Ordered late Monday afternoon and received in the mail on Thursday AM. All for $259.51 with shipping. It looks fairly rugged and is supposed to be the same as last year's EOTech (I heard it was the model 500).
It looks great for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:43:42 PM EST
Thanks again for the input .

What can y'all tell me about EO Tech's going Tango Uniform? Losing zero and not tracking well. Don't know if it's a rumor or not due to the excellent feedback I've heard on them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:53:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:54:18 PM EST
I haven't heard many bad things about the ACOGs, other than the price. And I haven't heard many bad things about the Elcans from people who actually have one. I have a 4th-gen mount .223 Elcan on my Armalite, and I think it's the cat's ass. I am not a huge fan of the TA-01 Acog, but the TA-31 bears some looking into (if you can stomach the price!)

My friend put a Leupold 1.5-5 Illuminated on his AR, and he like that. Batterylife is sorta short, but the price is right.

Also, I haven't heard too many bad things about IOR products, even if the price is starting to creep up on those.

I like the low-magnification stuff; Pure-red dot isn't for me. I tried shooting 500meters with a Eotech and a Aimpoint, and I did much better when I switched to good ol' irons.

In other words, I have no clear recommendation. (Though I favor Elcan)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:13:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 6:10:40 PM EST by black6]
Thanks for the info all. After your feedback and scrolling through the forums. I am leaning towards an Aimpoint.

Lumpy I like your setup with the LaRue mount. Does your LMT BUIS cowitness with your Aimpoint?

Does anyone want to buy a used Elcan?

Steve

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:19:08 PM EST
my Leupold CQT is built like a tank and made for the AR, Have you tried one yet?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:40:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/7/2004 7:41:35 PM EST by new-arguy]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:03:43 PM EST
Lumpy I like your setup with the LaRue mount. Does your LMT BUIS cowitness with your Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:09:05 PM EST
I'm personally trying to make a similar decision. I'm going back and forth between an Aimpoint and a compact ACOG (probably a 2x20 with red triangle). I like that the ACOG has some maginification and can be used for CQB as well. I would like a TA31 but the compact is several hundred cheaper. On the other hand the Aimpoint allows you to use your BUIS with the optic mounted. There's something to be said for not having to remove the optic if it shits the bed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:17:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:50:42 PM EST
the 2 a's

aimpoint comp m2
acog ta31

imho
get both.........

meat
Top Top