Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/30/2011 5:38:56 AM EDT
Found one of these colt sporters 20inch at the local gun range for 995 used what do you guys think of the price? Looks in good condition I've been wanting a 20inch ar but thhe only problem is the fixed carry handle. How hard is it to change upper recivers you think?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:45:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Evile:
Found one of these colt sporters 20inch at the local gun range for 995 used what do you guys think of the price? Looks in good condition I've been wanting a 20inch ar but thhe only problem is the fixed carry handle. How hard is it to change upper recivers you think?

You could have a new one for $1050
http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/colt-match-target-hbar-rifle-mt6601-remington-semi-auto-black-stock-black-finish-p-23412.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:46:37 AM EDT
Changing upper receivers is easy to do. You'll need some basic AR tools. Check out the "Build it yourself" section. You'll need to check and see if the pivot pin on that Colt is the large hole or small hole. If it's large hole you'll have a hard time finding a flat top upper that will mate up correctly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:47:28 AM EDT
900 would sound like a sweeter price ––- Here's aa new one delivered to your FFL for not much more (check any pawn shop - mine does FFL transfers for 20 bucks ) One shows a detachable carry handle on a 20", but it looks like ots in post ban configuration ––- but again, i would call and ask first as their ads say they are using stock file photos for the catalog. They may have exactly what you need

Buds Guns Colt page
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:50:51 AM EDT
Does the Sporter have an older large (.315") pivot hole or a standard (.250)? If it's a large one then a Colt flat top .315 is expensive (saw someone asking over $300 recently). Daniel Defense makes a large hole flat top for under $200.00 If it's a standard size, then a $100 non M4 cut receiver is all you need in the way of parts. There are conversion pins too but a large hole lower to a small hole upper will require a screwdriver to takedown the receivers. The upper installation is a 20 minute job with the right tools.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:52:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By streetstar:
900 would sound like a sweeter price ––- Here's aa new one delivered to your FFL for not much more (check any pawn shop - mine does FFL transfers for 20 bucks ) One shows a detachable carry handle on a 20", but it looks like ots in post ban configuration ––- but again, i would call and ask first as their ads say they are using stock file photos for the catalog. They may have exactly what you need

Buds Guns Colt page

Dammit, even better than mine.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:53:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CPD363:
Does the Sporter have an older large (.315") pivot hole or a standard (.250)? If it's a large one then a Colt flat top .315 is expensive (saw someone asking over $300 recently). Daniel Defense makes a large hole flat top for under $200.00 If it's a standard size, then a $100 non M4 cut receiver is all you need in the way of parts. There are conversion pins too but a large hole lower to a small hole upper will require a screwdriver to takedown the receivers. The upper installation is a 20 minute job with the right tools.

Is there any easy way to tell the take down pin size?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:09:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Evile:
Originally Posted By CPD363:

Is there any easy way to tell the take down pin size?

If the pivot pin hole is larger than the takedown pin hole (it will be a noticeable difference by sight), then you have a large hole rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:19:45 AM EDT
If the sporter has the fence around the mag catch and the steel block it also has larger FCG sizes of .170 if its an older A1 or SP1 type lower the front hole may be the larger hole but the FCG will be normal .154 size.In any event thats a lot for a used sporter when you can get new from Colt for $200 more or get a BCM for that same price.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 7:27:16 AM EDT by MSPRet]
Another thing to consider is MOST (99+%) of 20" barreled AR's have no feed ramps. If you are going to change it out to an newer A4 configuration with 20" barrel and a flattop reciever you will have to buy a flattop reciver with NO M4 cuts. They are available but if you want to buy one through the EE (like I am trying to do) they are difficult to find. I need another now and have been watching for a few weeks with nothing coming up for sale. If your unsure of what I am speaking about check the build it yourself thread for posts about compatibility of barrels and recievers with and without M4 cuts. Good luck....<><....:)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:28:21 AM EDT
Changing out an upper is the hardest job on an AR-15 and requires several special tools. You're more likely to ruin it than anything else. It isn't worth the hassle. If you really want an A4-type rifle, you're going to need a flat top with gov-profile barrel to start with. Starting with the complete wrong thing is just a money pit that's doomed to failure. The only way that rifle is a win is if it's EXACTLY what you want. Even then the price is high.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:32:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 7:34:04 AM EDT by 86HMMWV]
Originally Posted By 1saxman:
Changing out an upper is the hardest job on an AR-15 and requires several special tools. You're more likely to ruin it than anything else.

I disagree.

ETA: It requires three "special" tools at most if you include a torque wrench, which some builders don't use.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:46:07 AM EDT
Buy new. You will have the warrenty and peice of mind just knowing what the gun has been through.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:28:14 AM EDT
thats to much for used. imo
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:37:48 AM EDT
Professional ford technician here. I have lot and lots of tools
Top Top