Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 7:02:31 AM EDT
I just bought a colt sp1 carbine and I noticed on the bolt carrier that it has the serrations for a forward assist.But it does not have a forward assist.Is this the way they were shipped from colt new? Or did previous owner change the carrier out!!!                           Thanks in advance I do appreciate it!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#1]
As Colt ran out of the smooth side (non-serrated) bolt carriers they did not see fit to continue producing them as the serrated carrier worked with the FA and non-FA uppers. There was no sense in producing both types.

The serrated carriers were then substituted on the SP1 assembly line. I don't think that there's an exact date or ser. no. available to denote this change. You can check for the stamped letter C on your carrier. This will at least tell you if it's a Colt carrier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought my SP1 new in 1979...The bolt carrier is notched for FA. Serial # is below 100,000

Rick
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top