Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 11:50:55 AM EDT
I got tired of looking at the blocks in my 2 Colt prebans, and when I couldn't install RRA 2-stage triggers because of them, they had to go. I have done this twice now, and if you are very careful, you won't scratch your lower, at least not on the outside. The drill it/Marvel mystery oil/hydraulic method has been proven to be bunk by a few that have tried it, besides, whenever you push the blind pins out it creates an ugly raised lip on the aluminum at the edge of the hole. My method leaves the pin in and preserves the stock exterior look of the lower. PS these lowers only had one blind pin thru the side; I have seen some with two and even three blind pins thru the side of the lower - this won't work on those - you'll have to mill those out. Here's how I did it:

Strip the lower internals and find some duct tape. Using a Dremel with a new cut-off disc (buy the little jar full of them - you're going to need a lot of them), I first CAREFULLY make a thin cut thru the block close to the edge of the lower, and then a second one down thru the raised portion of the block - you need clearance here for the Dremel shaft to make the 1st cut as deep as you can. I used a bit of Kroil as a cutting agent and went slowly - I still broke a lot of wheels.

1st cut is started on right, 2nd cut thru the raised portion almost done.

Make a sideways cut to remove the piece of upper block.

Cut the thin slice as deep as you can, use some tape on the lower so the Dremel shaft doesn't mar the finish. You want to cut thru and well below the blind pin. I then cracked off the thin piece by bending it back and forth. Once this is done, grab the block with a big pair of channel lock pliers and wiggle it until the inside blind pin (a roll pin) breaks and the block can be wiggled forward and out. All done.

Anothe view.

Pin is still in, looks stock.

Good luck. HTH
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Ya got mad skilzz bro! It looks great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Now what do you do with that big ugly hole in the side of your receiver?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I believe the picture is kind of deceiving.  The pin is still in there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What hole? RIF! Added a pic for clarity
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice work...as a fan of Colts, that is a huge improvement.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What hole? RIF! Added a pic for clarity

Looks good but does the cut pin tend to fall out or is it secure?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Finally, I see a justifiable use of a Dremel on an AR, on a Colt lower of all things.  Good job on that.

Where would Colt be without the Dremel!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That pin is in very very tight and is never gonna fall out. If you pull it, it raises the metal at the edge of the hole badly. I had one removed by KKF years ago and it looked bad. It's best to leave the stub of the pin in IMO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Good job! The sear block is one of my (many) complaints with Colt. I find it interesting that the LE only Colt's are blocked. Guess this just keeps cops from committing NFA felonies.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice work!  I have done two so far.  I might finally do my last two.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]
other than just being remnant of a bygone era, & ugly, what advantages is there in removing the block ?? i only have one shooter with the block, the other shooters (9 of them) are unblocked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a  Dremel tool to remove the block from one of my blue label Colts about 4 years ago. Here's how mine turned out:

This lower was subsequently built into an M4gery and has been bumpfired through countless rounds. The remainder of the pin hasn't budged a bit.

Other than visually, the sear blocks have never bothered me or affected the function of my ARs. I removed this one because I bought an R6830 lower receiver relatively cheap while the ban was still on and so I experimented on it a little. My other R6830 is going to be left stock, sear block and all.

It should also be noted that Colt used two different styles of pinned in blocks. The early style had 3 pins (2 on the left side, 1 on the right) and would probably be quite dificult to remove. I doubt I would bother with one. The latter style just had 1 pin through the left receiver wall and a small rollpin through the floor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Great pictures, I may give this a try next time around.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice work guys
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Very nice wok guys

Anyone doing stir frying?
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It should also be noted that Colt used two different styles of pinned in blocks. The early style had 3 pins (2 on the left side, 1 on the right) and would probably be quite dificult to remove. I doubt I would bother with one. The latter style just had 1 pin through the left receiver wall and a small rollpin through the floor.

Boomer,

I've never seen one with two pins on one side and one on the other, if you're not counting the vertical roll pin.

The two types I have seen and have in my possession are one with only one small pin in the right side, and one with two larger pins, one in each side. Both types have the vertical roll pins.

Anyone have a picture of the variation with two pins in one side?

Lonny
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Any chance on fixin the pics at the beginning?  I was just directed here for a similar problem but can't really see the "fix".

Thanks!

Jeff Z
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Boomer,

I've never seen one with two pins on one side and one on the other, if you're not counting the vertical roll pin.

The two types I have seen and have in my possession are one with only one small pin in the right side, and one with two larger pins, one in each side. Both types have the vertical roll pins.

Lonny

Hi Lonny

I posted an incorrect statement ..Sorry i was thinking about something else.
Eagle20
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Doesn'tthat take away from resale value? Just curious before I do it?
Peter
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boomer,

Lonny

Here is my early R6601 with 2 pins retaining the sear block on the left hand side of the lower receiver. One above the selector and one just below it:

I believe the upper pin extends all the way through the sear block and right hand side of the lower receiver. In later blue label guns the lower pin was done away with completely and the upper pin simply extended from the right hand side into the sear block itself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Boomer I'm saving your pic for reference.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 6:35:11 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boomer,

Lonny

Here is my early R6601 with 2 pins retaining the sear block on the left hand side of the lower receiver. One above the selector and one just below it:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/SD70MAC/ColtR6601.jpg

I believe the upper pin extends all the way through the sear block and right hand side of the lower receiver. In later blue label guns the lower pin was done away with completely and the upper pin simply extended from the right hand side into the sear block itself.

Thanks, Boomer. I've never seen that one before. MIGHT be rare. Maybe it ought to be left alone.

By the way, I was NOT doubting you, just anxious to add to my meager knowledge.

Lonny
Link Posted: 2/1/2005 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for this thread.

I safely removed sear blocks from a Sporter Lightweight and a Govt. Carbine.

Link Posted: 2/16/2005 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank you RamblinWreck. Life is now good
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I took my 3 pin (double blind pin and single roll pin) block out last night. I had to grind it out with a drill and an abrasive disk. I went down the center of the block, away from the receiver walls, until I reached the hollow between the two blind pins. I then used a punch to get the pins moving laterally. Once I got one pin out, I pounded the other one straight out using the hole from the first pin. You do have to grind close to the receiver walls in order to loosen the pins enough to remove them as they are press fit extremely tight. I was left with two pins that can be dremeled and JBwelded into the hole should I choose. I may just leave the holes open as sign of my disdain for Colt's appeasement.

Link Posted: 3/25/2005 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#29]
BTT
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#30]
tag
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#32]
I encountered  pins that have a tapered end. That makes  them look HUGE from the out side.It also makes them look like they are one pin going straight through.  But they are NOT pressed into the lower, just the block. The hard part was trying to pull out the roll pin and keep the wheel away from stuff I didnt want marked up!
Great thread!
Took a hour from start to put away
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Very nice, I will have to try that
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Once paid $125 to have one of those two pin blocks removed.  Just got a one pin lower receiver last week, and thanks to RamblinWreck's insperational thread had a go at it with a dremel.  Followed the instructions to a tee, save two changes.  Rather then using those little cutting disks that come apart, used one of those large reinforced disks.  The cutting disk did not bust, and did not have to cut a chunk out of the top part to gain clearance.  So was able to remove the block in one piece, with one cut, and one cutting wheel.  Also, did not have luck with pulling the block out with channel lock pliers.  Before starting the dremeling had already stripped the lower so I simply knocked it out with a punch and hammer thru the receiver extention ring.  The roll pin did not crack in half, but was bent.  Hit the roll pin with a punch and it snapped off right at the base of the receiver, nice and clean.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag................
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#36]
BTT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have pics of a receiver with the two large pins, I think that's what I have?
On this type of pin, can the block still be removed as described in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Colt will now redo your preban sear blocked Colt lowers in the current Colt black for $200.  There is a catch though.  You are SOL if the sear block has been removed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Colt will now redo your preban sear blocked Colt lowers in the current Colt black for $200.  There is a catch though.  You are SOL if the sear block has been removed.

What do you mean by "redo"???

Refinish? Remanufacture? Replace?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
He is talking about the Colt's Custom shop refinish service.  Being in a ban state that could be an important thing to know if you want an old receiver to match a new upper.  Guess you could remove the block after the refinish, or better yet paint it black with Norrell's.

Interesting note here, sounds like Colt's can remove and install these blocks, how else could they anodize the lower?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That pin is in very very tight and is never gonna fall out. If you pull it, it raises the metal at the edge of the hole badly. I had one removed by KKF years ago and it looked bad. It's best to leave the stub of the pin in IMO.

I did mine (2 pin version) and both pins fell out. Now I have a hole on the left and right side of the selector.  Oh well, the block needed to come out. It was interfering with the function of my 9mm upper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top