Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/1/2012 10:45:35 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been asked before but need to act quick on this. I am considering buying an older AR from a guy online.

He has only shot it once and was the original owner.

He does not know if you can shoot 5.56 or just .223

The receiver is stamped .223 I tried looking this gun, up but can't seem to find anything on it. I would also like to know what twist is on the barrel.

He does not have the book for it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Just found out it is marked 5.56 NATO on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What is "mid-ban?"  

Does it have a flash suppressor?  Or a smooth barrel in front of the front sight post?

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
probably thinking "ban era" without any evil features.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
You can shoot both

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#5]
And should be a 1-7 twist.
But it definitely isn't retro!  

Just noticed it was your second post.  Welcome to the board!  You've stumbled into the friendliest corner of the web, but we focus primarily on Vietnam-era ARs here.
Hang around, though, and we'll have you straightened out in no time!
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The A2 Forum is <Thataway!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sorry if this has been asked before but need to act quick on this. I am considering buying an older AR from a guy online.

He has only shot it once and was the original owner.

He does not know if you can shoot 5.56 or just .223

The receiver is stamped .223 I tried looking this gun, up but can't seem to find anything on it. I would also like to know what twist is on the barrel.

He does not have the book for it.

Thanks

If an H Bar ,or most all Colt AR barrels for that matter,the twist rate should  be stamped on barrel, but the particular rifle you inquired about shoud be 1:7 tiwist
You can safely interchange  .223 and 5.56 which is the NATO caliber deigntion...Be advised though that there are minute differeces between a .223 ans 5.56,
I believe primarily ,if I remember correctly, in the Meplat of the case,but in the real world, the 2 caliber designations are interchangeable..This point by the way
Is constantly debated.. .223 is much more common to find commercially than 5.56 anyway,so buy .223 whenever possible
Military designated Colt AR 's (M 16 and M4's as examples) are marked ,5.56 as sporting AR's  .223
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top