Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/17/2003 4:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2003 4:05:43 PM EDT by GODBLESSTHEUSA]
I have a large hole Colt Sporter (slab side) with the screw take down pin. I have seen that push pin adapter that has a spring loaded ball in it and was considering getting it to replace the screw pin, but I was leery about both its performance and the potential wear that the spring loaded ball may cause to the lower itself (I have to protect my lower since I live in NY where the federal sunset has been trumped by an eternal infringement - but that hasn't stopped my letter campaign).

Anyway, who has one and what is your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:34:00 PM EDT
Check this out. [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/nes-06.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:34:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BallisticTip: Check this out. [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/nes-06.asp[/url]
View Quote
That's not what he's asking about[:D]. And besides, the adapter that Bushmaster, and almost everytone else, sells is a POS. The only adapter worth anything is sold by CDNN; but back to the question. I've seen the push pin adapters also, but decided to pass on them. The one I saw mounted on a rifle stuck out so far on the left side that it looked wierd, and my own fear is that the steel detent ball wsould, over time, round off the edge of the hole in the reciever. That may be an unfounded fear, but I've lived w/the two headed screw monster on my SP1 for over 30 years, so I'm almost used to it[:D]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 7:56:01 AM EDT
Here is the one you are after. [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/oak-01.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:36:43 PM EDT
shamayim understands precisely my question and my concern, has anyone actually used the pin with the spring loaded ball and is our concern justified? ps I appreciate the Busmaster links, but I am aware of the pins I'm simply asking about their effectiveness and wear on the lower.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:01:30 PM EDT
I have one on a pre ban colt. I have had it on the rifle for a couple of years, and have not noticed any wear marks from it. It does stick out a little on the left side, but I like the convenience of being able to just push the pin through and taking the upper off of the lower. Understand, though, that it pushes all the way through, it doesnt stop like the "regular" push pins do. All in all, it is fine for what I use it for: range work, competing and hunting. Maybe in combat I would want something more secure. Seemed like 10 bucks was a little high for no more than it is, but I paid it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 12:29:41 PM EDT
I have one, but switched back to the 2 screws. Wear on the receiver wasn't an issue, but if the SHTF I'm afraid the ball would eventually pop out of the pin and I'd be up the creek.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:07:34 PM EDT
I've used one for awhile with no problems. I haven't noticed any wear from the ball and it is still very tight.
Top Top