Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 6:10:43 AM EDT
Perhaps one of you can help me.  I feel pretty dumb right about now.  I bought 2 CDNN "universal" takedown pins for my Colt large hole lower.  I need to mount one of the "small hole" uppers.  I have a much older offset takedown pin (brand unknown) on the gun now, and it fits perfectly.  Since I got another new upper recently, I can't get the universal CDNN pins to work.  I just want to be able to use the new pins on my two colt lowers which are identical "sporter" models made in 1993.

What gives here?  The lower and upper bind each other at about 80% closure, and then there is no further travel possible, preventing the gun from being closed.  The upper is a brand new, Alcoa Forged (Stag, I think) and it fits perfectly with the old offset pin with no rattle, so it must be "in spec."  Therefore, It is definitely not the upper or the lower.

Someone help, before I send the pins back.  I already emailed CDNN to see if they could help, too.

Thanks in advance,

HTR
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Try installing the adaptor with the upper already on the lower (closed) with the rear take down pin engaged.  This will help the pin to line up correctly.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try installing the adaptor with the upper already on the lower (closed) with the rear take down pin engaged.  This will help the pin to line up correctly.

Sounds like an idea worth trying.

Thay way, if the pin dimensions are out of spec. you'll be able to tell, for sure, that's what's going on. I suppose it is possiblr that they got an off spec batch.

Used the CDNN adapter for years, on my SP1, until I just said the hell w/it and converted the thing to a small hole front pin. (Yes, it can be done)
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like an idea worth trying.

Thay way, if the pin dimensions are out of spec. you'll be able to tell, for sure, that's what's going on. I suppose it is possible that they got an off spec batch.

Used the CDNN adapter for years, on my SP1, until I just said the hell w/it and converted the thing to a small hole front pin. (Yes, it can be done)

Tell me more....I would love to do that, and forever eliminate this ridiculous "small hole, Large hole" proprietary Colt sized stuff.   Is it a welded in sleeve??

I loved Colt for so long, but when they put non-standardized pins and "sear block" in their guns after they decided that civilians owning their guns is sketchy, I am thinking of switching over to LMT or Double Star lowers from now on.

Proprietary stuff like this really kinda' pisses me off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had this guy do one for me and I will never regret it.

users.zoominternet.net/~picplace/pivotpinbushings.htm

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at the link, but I never could find the pricing or other info.  How much did it cost?  Turnaround time?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
It was $150 without refinishing and took around 2 weeks to get back.  The only reason I did it was because my SP1 is a SBR.  If it wasn't, I rather buy a new lower.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks much for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top