BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/21/2013 10:27:19 AM EDT
So everyone seems to prefer Colt over many brands and prices are decreasing.  Most touting Colts reputation...
WW is former (original Bushmaster) post non-compete clause.

Why... If Colt is mil-spec, closest you can get to the real things and etc... Do they offer a 1 year warranty?
WW offers a Lifetime warranty that is transferable.

In any other world. The best stands behind their product no questions (lifetime warranty).

I'm considering a Colt LE6920 vs WW-15 SRC. $999 v $739.

Looking for opinions based on the product and warranty.  No one ever seems to mention that.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought Colt had a lifetime warranty.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Not according to their website
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Most gun companies have a "one year warranty" for legal reasons, but will still honor it forever.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most gun companies have a "one year warranty" for legal reasons, but will still honor it forever.
View Quote

Can you back up this claim?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that's going to be in print anywhere. But many who have a warranty that "expires" will take care of their customers as they don't want to hurt their public image as far as customer service is concerned. For example, I know of a few people from over on XDTalk that bought Springfield XD's second hand, then have had something happen down the road, and was able to redeem the warranty on it even though they weren't the original purchaser as the warranty states you must be. Of course YMMV, but that has just been my experience.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Not for Colt, but Ruger and Glock have explicitly stated that their no, or one year warranty is due to legal liability.

I've heard this about other such manufactures, but have no personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If you buy a Colt over a WW, all you are getting is a bigger price tag and a bigger name. Other than that there is not much difference.  The Colt will cost more but will hold its value better.  

A shooter will appreciate the WW, a collector will prefer the Colt

For the record, I own both an original BM and Colt, but prefer what PSA is offering right now
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I was having this same issue last year and decided to go with the Windham MPC. Mainly because of the lifetime warranty. A little cheaper in price but that was not the deciding factor for me.

Not a fan boy of any manufacturer but have absolutely no regrets with my decision. You will not go wrong with either choice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
DoorKicker and Fox. Thank you for the feedback!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really care about the warranty because you void it according to most companies when you install something like a free float rail or do any other modifications.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Windham has become my go to for solid parts to complete builds this year. I think they are this sites best kept secret. They sent me a bolt for $55 after I emailed them I had a build that I couldn't complete with out a bolt. This was when everybody else was stating not to contact them about out of stock products. Windham went the extra mile and got back to me within an hour or so of contacting them. When I had tech questions about what material the bolt was made of; the production manager contacted me via e-mail within even less time, promised me the bolt within a week, and got it to me. Make of that what you will... I take it as a company that cares about it's customers and strives to go beyond the usual call of professionalism...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't really care about the warranty because you void it according to most companies when you install something like a free float rail or do any other modifications.
View Quote

Or run reloads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The facts are this for a $270 difference ill take individual parts testing HP/MPI on BCG and barrel and a rifle made by the holder of the TDP and a rifle made on the same line as what the military gets.Windham still batch tests barrels and does not HP test the barrel the claim HP/MPI on the BCG and a carpenter 158 Bolt and the still use a commercial receiver extension.Id also buy BCM,LMT,Daniel Defense and PSA before a windham.Thats me though Im not saying Windhams bad just inferior to the rifles mentioned with such a low difference in price id go Colt.I just prefer proper tested individual parts....before somebody brings up PSA they have 2 grades you can get HP/MP tested barrels and Bolts or just MPI like windham although im not sure if PSA does that individual or batch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]
OP: I had the same question some time ago.  I was considering the Colt LE 6920 and the WW-15 "MPC" R16M4A4T.
I wound up purchasing the WW and have never regretted it.  WW has a lifetime warranty and puts it in writing!  After 3 months
and 600 rounds, I have found the quality and accuracy to be "first class".  

PS: If you do not know the story of WW, read up on it.  It is truly and American success story, based on what has
historically made America strong, the hard work of the American worker.

Here is my WW

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/8728393535_7d4bb703d7_b.jpg
IMG_4344001001 by Frank Fasulo (appsyscons), on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Colt's they are the best you can not get any better!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#16]
What a difference a year makes for WW
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Colt and a Bushmaster, my next one with be a Windham. It may have a lower resale value but I don't intend to sell it. From what I've seen, the accuracy and reliability is no different from the others. The whole point is to reliably launch a projectile downrange accurately, and apparently they do that. For $700- count me in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
The LE6920 is a fine carbine, Colt as far as I've seen don't need a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I would never make a purchasing decision based upon the length of the warranty.

DPMS could offer me a lifetime and a half warranty and I'm still not buying one.

Noveske could offer me a 5-day warranty and I would still buy one with confidence.

Buy based upon the history and reputation of the mfg. and you will be all set.  I think some of these companies offer lifetime warranties because there is a good likelihood that you are going to need it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Kia Motors has some of the best warranties in the business, and we all know their vehicles are known for unmatched quality.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Get the WW and spend the money saved on ammo, mags, optics, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
If you get the colt you won't be left wondering if you should have.(and you should have)

For the record, I don't own a single complete colt anymore. I build based in my needs. I have colt barrels, lowers and bolts, in various builds but nothing complete. But if you are starting out into ARs, why not sim for the best and just start with a colt?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Windham Weaponry makes a fine rifle, but I'm not sure how WW, Colt and Bushmaster are coming up as the three choices all the time. There are so maany other manufacturers out there, you can't consider one without considering them all.

Here's something to consider: on my hometown trade group, there has been a guy trying to sell a WW weaponry for several months. He lowered the price about 14 times, and ended up giving it away. In that time there were at least 3 Colts that I recall cross the board, and usually went in a few days when the price was right.

If you've had experience with many ARs, we all know that 99% of them will easily meet the needs of an average gun owner. If you plan on taking it to the range as a toy and have your serious self defense and SHTF needs covered by another rifle, a $700 WW that hasn't been HPT or MPI is a win. If you're buying a rifle for serious use, or at least the promise that it will hold up to serious use, $150 is a very small price to pay for that piece of mind. I don't think Bushmasters and WW rifles that civilians shoot would hold up in the Middle East. Colt does OK over there, and it's always going to be a Colt AR-15 - as good as money in the bank.

Colt is at that sweet spot where you'll always get $1,000 or more for it used. With higher priced rifles we've been spoiled with a national market, being able to tap into more potential customer selling online. When gun trading was a local affair, selling the higher end brands like high dollar Browning or Kimber used was a much harder thing to pull off. I know guys that have liquidated some of their retirement savings to buy Colt rifles because they hold their value so well and they're so easy to sell. I couldn't imagine someone buying a crate of Windham Weaponry ARs as an investment. I can't imagine an Army anywhere in the world adopting WW as their supplier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Someone has always been doing it better than Colt. Prior to the 94 Ban and well into it Bushmaster was, maybe Windam is doing it now too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't think Bushmasters and WW rifles that civilians shoot would hold up in the Middle East.
View Quote

Bushmaster has been used by numerous contractors, 60 militaries and was the standard issue rifle during the 2008 Russian/Georgian war...FWIW.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#26]
People will always pay for brand names- just look at the shoes and cosmetics your wife buys.
Aside from the premium $ for a brand name, I have seen no proof that WW is inferior to a Colt. Someone says they don't think one would hold up as a combat weapon- why? What experience with the brand leads to that conclusion? Speculation. I can't prove they are as good, but who can prove they aren't? The people I know who own them have had zero issues, just the same as with Colt.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems anytime someone posts in the Windham forum here, someone from Windham is pretty quick to answer.

I've got a WW SRC and have had no issues with it yet. I also believe that if I do, they will take care of it without any b.s.

So colt has a TDP, so what. Many companies hold "tdp's" for shit that is built for the military, many components of which are built by subcontractors at the lowest prices they can get them built at.

II'll also throw in the fact that colt has the UAW putting building these rifles where as Windham doesn't.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of people in this thread have no clue what they're talking about, as evidenced by the stupidity running rampant in this thread. If you want a rifle to shoot cans in the dirt, the Windham will probably suit you fine - just like Bushmaster. For anything serious, I'm glad my agency issues Colts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
WIndham doesn't even use a torque wrench to tighten their barrel nuts. What else are they not doing?

Between the two, I'd get a Colt. There are other good brands out there too like BCM, DD, KAC, LMT, Noveske, etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP: I had the same question some time ago.  I was considering the Colt LE 6920 and the WW-15 "MPC" R16M4A4T.
I wound up purchasing the WW and have never regretted it.  WW has a lifetime warranty and puts it in writing!  After 3 months
and 600 rounds, I have found the quality and accuracy to be "first class".  

PS: If you do not know the story of WW, read up on it.  It is truly and American success story, based on what has
historically made America strong, the hard work of the American worker.

Here is my WW

[email=http://www.flickr.com/photos/43835830@N06/8728393535/]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7295/8728393535_7d4bb703d7_b.jpg[/email]
IMG_4344001001 by Frank Fasulo (appsyscons), on Flickr
View Quote

NICE....I just got one just like it last week. Great rifles.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot of people in this thread have no clue what they're talking about, as evidenced by the stupidity running rampant in this thread. If you want a rifle to shoot cans in the dirt, the Windham will probably suit you fine - just like Bushmaster. For anything serious, I'm glad my agency issues Colts.
View Quote

LOL!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
WIndham doesn't even use a torque wrench to tighten their barrel nuts. What else are they not doing?

Between the two, I'd get a Colt. There are other good brands out there too like BCM, DD, KAC, LMT, Noveske, etc.
View Quote

And what exactly is the torque spec on that barrel nut per the TDP?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!!!

Based on what?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you buy a Colt over a WW, all you are getting is a bigger price tag and a bigger name. Other than that there is not much difference.
View Quote

Sorry Sir but this statement is incorrect. Their is a big difference between Colt and WW. Colt makes their parts according to the TDP which they own. Colt's civilian parts and carbines are made to the same specs as the military M4s. The only difference being the barrel is 16 inches for civilians and the FCG doesn't have burst or auto parts. WW doesn't make their parts or carbines to the TDP. It's a big difference. One is a firearm built for the harsh conditions of war the other is a hobby gun. Parts are not parts and WW is not just as good as Colt. That's the cold hard facts and alot of folks get butt hurt by it but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sorry Sir but this statement is incorrect. Their is a big difference between Colt and WW. Colt makes their parts according to the TDP which they own. Colt's civilian parts and carbines are made to the same specs as the military M4s. The only difference being the barrel is 16 inches for civilians and the FCG doesn't have burst or auto parts. WW doesn't make their parts or carbines to the TDP. It's a big difference. One is a firearm built for the harsh conditions of war the other is a hobby gun. Parts are not parts and WW is are not just as good as Colt. That's the cold hard facts and alot of folks get butt hurt by it but it's the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you buy a Colt over a WW, all you are getting is a bigger price tag and a bigger name. Other than that there is not much difference.

Sorry Sir but this statement is incorrect. Their is a big difference between Colt and WW. Colt makes their parts according to the TDP which they own. Colt's civilian parts and carbines are made to the same specs as the military M4s. The only difference being the barrel is 16 inches for civilians and the FCG doesn't have burst or auto parts. WW doesn't make their parts or carbines to the TDP. It's a big difference. One is a firearm built for the harsh conditions of war the other is a hobby gun. Parts are not parts and WW is are not just as good as Colt. That's the cold hard facts and alot of folks get butt hurt by it but it's the truth.

And you've been to war with a Windham to be able to make that statement as if it were fact?

You know for fact that colt makes ALL their own parts?

I'm sure there are many thousand of people in this country that own ar's not made by colt that have not any issues with them.

Last I checked, it wasn't a requirement to own an ar to be a member here.

The cold hard fact is that just because there is a TDP does not mean there aren't MDCN's, ECO's and waivers granted by the government on parts that are being used on colt rifles that don't quite meet specs.

And let's not forget a fact that A LOT of people here choose to ignore, and that is the UAW labor involved in building these rifles. As if that section of the union actually gives more of a shit......

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Windham MPC and a Colt LE6920. Got both within a week of each other. Both are great ARs, but as far as bang for the buck goes, the Windham wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love my Colt. Plus my Windham has a Cerro forged lower. Colt is a great "name", like Nike or Sony, but the real difference in quality is almost not there. If you want a true test get one of the Bushmasters made by the Remington Group (aka Freedom Group) and then you will see why people look for used Bushmasters made in Windham Maine. Colt lost some of my respect when they put the Colt name on the LE6900 (which is not a true colt, but a cheap AR made by other  non-Colt companies). Of my non-built ARs, the Rock River and the Windham are the best. Colt also has some odd ideas about price. Example is the LE6920 vs. the LE6920 SOCOM. The SOCOM has a slightly better but stock and an ok quad-rail but costs $300 more in some cases over the standard 6920. It seems odd that $120 worth of extra furniture is adding $300 (or more ) to the price and these days Magpul MOE stuff is not very impressive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Honest questions.

Does the WW have an H buffer, machined receiver extension, M4 feed ramps, F front sight base, proper barrel steel, staked castle nut, HPT/MPI bolt and barrel, shot peening, o-ring, black extractor insert and spring, dual-shielded handguards, auto carrier, etc.

These are features that are worth the price difference for many of us.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a Windham MPC and a Colt LE6920. Got both within a week of each other. Both are great ARs, but as far as bang for the buck goes, the Windham wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love my Colt. Plus my Windham has a Cerro forged lower. Colt is a great "name", like Nike or Sony, but the real difference in quality is almost not there. If you want a true test get one of the Bushmasters made by the Remington Group (aka Freedom Group) and then you will see why people look for used Bushmasters made in Windham Maine. Colt lost some of my respect when they put the Colt name on the LE6900 (which is not a true colt, but a cheap AR made by other  non-Colt companies). Of my non-built ARs, the Rock River and the Windham are the best. Colt also has some odd ideas about price. Example is the LE6920 vs. the LE6920 SOCOM. The SOCOM has a slightly better but stock and an ok quad-rail but costs $300 more in some cases over the standard 6920. It seems odd that $120 worth of extra furniture is adding $300 (or more ) to the price and these days Magpul MOE stuff is not very impressive.
View Quote

the real difference in quality is almost not there. Awwww but almost only counts in horseshoes
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Honest questions.

Does the WW have an H buffer, machined receiver extension, M4 feed ramps, F front sight base, proper barrel steel, staked castle nut, HPT/MPI bolt and barrel, shot peening, o-ring, black extractor insert and spring, dual-shielded handguards, auto carrier, etc.

These are features that are worth the price difference for many of us.
View Quote

You can ask them here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/489_Windham_Weaponry.html
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I could, but since there seemed to be a lot of WW fans in the thread, I thought they could enlighten me. It truly was an honest question.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#41]
It seems that they have incorporated many of these features, but there are several that they have not.

The old Bushmaster was notorious for not incorporating these developments, and ultimately it cost them significant market share.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And you've been to war with a Windham to be able to make that statement as if it were fact?

I'm sure there are many thousand of people in this country that own ar's not made by colt that have not any issues with them.

The cold hard fact is that just because there is a TDP does not mean there aren't MDCN's, ECO's and waivers granted by the government on parts that are being used on colt rifles that don't quite meet specs.

And let's not forget a fact that A LOT of people here choose to ignore, and that is the UAW labor involved in building these rifles. As if that section of the union actually gives more of a shit......

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll only answer your non smart assed question. Yes Colt makes their own parts as does other companies. In the past they sourced out parts but those parts were still made to the TDP and if they were out of spec they were rejected so don't try to be a wise ass, this isn't GD and you're not as knowledgeable as you think you are. It should be a requirement to own an AR to be a member here. That's the problem, there is a bunch of post count whores here who have never owned an AR and spread BS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#43]
LMFAO, Colt defends our nation, that's good enough for me.
My brother bets his ass on his in the sandbox in the middle east.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude just cause they defend are nation doesnt mean shit!!  I remember being in Fallujah and watching my buddy get smoked as he tried to field strip his M4 so it would function.  Get whatever you can afford and shoot the shit out of it!!  Have fun brother!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#45]
F^*K Colt its a over priced fan boy rifle! Here you go Colt Kool Aide drinkers now go cry all night!

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
The simple/quick answer to your question is - both are solid. I have carried several of the rifles mentioned, as a SWAT officer for 20 years, and never had a problem with any.  I own a store, for 10 years since retirement, and sell Colt, Windham, Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, Sig, Smith & Wesson... and probably a few more to all the police agencies (local, state and federal) who shop at our store.  Neither I, nor my customers have had a single problem with any of them.  So, for what it's worth the best advice from the last two pages is - Buy the one you want/ can afford and shoot it as much as you want.  Paying hundreds or a thousand more for a small manufacturer, with a big name, may make some feel better but they aren't getting a better rifle than the two you're considering.  If it matters - Colt will give you more resale in the future if you are inclined to sell.  Buy it, clean it, break it in properly and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm sure ya did.

Quoted:

Dude just cause they defend are nation doesnt mean shit!!  I remember being in Fallujah and watching my buddy get smoked as he tried to field strip his M4 so it would function.  Get whatever you can afford and shoot the shit out of it!!  Have fun brother!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#48]
At least your not afraid to show how you take care of your equipment. What happened, did it hurt your shoulder?

Quoted:
F^*K Colt its a over priced fan boy rifle! Here you go Colt Kool Aide drinkers now go cry all night!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x368/_ak_74_/shovel_ak/42.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been issued Colts in the military and shot plenty of cases of ammo through them.

I bought a Windham MPC and have been very happy with it. It's a solid and accurate rifle at a fair price.

I would trust either brand to do what I need it to. I leaned toward Windham due to the lower price tag and transferable lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I own both rifles, and honestly they both run exactly the same. I love Windam's quality, especially for the money. The only problem I have with mine was finding a comercial stock, but that was more of a supply/demand issue more than anything. My Windam has ran everything from cheap steel cased TulAmo to  higher grain green tipped 5.56 without a hitch. I really would recommend saving money on paying for a name and use the extra cash to beef up your rifle with mags, ammo and a nice optic. Now, that said, you can't go wrong with a Colt. It's really going to be a matter of where you personally want to place your dollar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top