Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/1/2011 8:37:55 PM EDT
I have a Colt Sporter with a small block in the receiver that runs through a channel in the carrier. I would like to put some modern parts on this rifle including a new bolt and carrier. how would I remove the block?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:04:24 PM EDT
contact this gut he removed my block nice and clean.....m60joe.com
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 3:28:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2011 3:29:08 AM EDT by REARSPROCKET]
You don't have to remove it, Young Manufacturing makes a few different styles of BCGs with the bottom slot machined for clearance of the Colt trigger block. If you remove the block you will have two large holes in your lower. I have an HBar with the trigger block and a Young NM BCG in it that works very nice. Just another option to think about, you would have to call them about the BCG because it wasn't listed on their site.
http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/store.php?pg1-cid38.html
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:56:32 AM EDT
ADCO will remove it for you for a very reasonable price. I had my receiver back in 3 or 4 days, I believe they charged me $50.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 4:58:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By searchin4shacks:
ADCO will remove it for you for a very reasonable price. I had my receiver back in 3 or 4 days, I believe they charged me $50.

This
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 5:35:55 AM EDT
It's a tricky job for DIY. The stupid block was designed to be difficult to remove to prevent MG conversions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 9:56:35 AM EDT
It depends if you cared about "resale value" or not. I have a 1992 Colt receiver with the block on it and I just ground it off with a bench grinder. I did use water to cool the work piece after every 10 seconds of grinding. I didn't want the heat from the grinding process to heat up the aluminum and ended up over aging it. All you need to do is to shave off about 1/16" of the metal. DO NOT do this if re-sale occurs in your mind, even at the slightest. IMHO, if someone offered me a Colt lower with the block shaved off, I'd consider it as an improvement.

I bet you can get a Dremmel with the stone grinder on it and get to work - won't take you more than 15 minutes, and that with intermittent water cooling in between grinding.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:34:58 AM EDT
Top Top