Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2008 4:12:38 PM EDT
I'm about to enter a deal to purchase a Colt "big-hole" flat-top upper to match my Sporter lower and was wondering with Colt rifles they (the flat tops) shipped on.  I'm also wondering about their rarity - anyone know how long the were made to the civilian specs before colt changed to the milspec hole sized for the current models?

Thanks,

-Calvin
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think Colt ever made a flat top big hole upper.
there is a after market company that makes flat top big hole uppers though. I think it is danial defence, I am not 100% sure.

But I am sure that Colt did not make them. Somebody will be along to confirm or correct me
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to find out for sure - before I sink more into an upper then the $185 Daniel Defense version :) (they make the aftermarket upper)  The individual selling it seems like an honest guy so before I starting thinking anything is off-kilter - can someone confirm or deny the existance of flat-top Colt (as in, Colt made) uppers?  I was just curious about the type of gun it came off, but now I'm wondering...

Thanks,

-Calvin
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt did make some large hole flattop uppers. I think they came on green label 6700 models.

There will be a few clues to tell you if it is a Colt. There will be NO sear relief in the upper (similar to the SP1 uppers) and there is usually Colt proofs marks above the ejection port.

They are rare as hen's teeth. However, the market for them is slowly dwindling since the end of the ban, because most guys who now want a flattop, just buy a new lower and get any flattop.

The reason they used to command REAL BIG bucks ($400/each) was during the ban when the largest number of pre-bans were large hole SP1's. If the ban state SP1 guys wanted a flattop they had to get a rare Colt, or use an adapter pin.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Confirming the post above.  They came on the early 6700s.  Had two of them.  Sold the lowers, kept the uppers.

The above info on identification is correct.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, I found a picture of the the relief cut - so am I to assume that the Daniel Defense uppers have the cuts then?  I just want to verify I'm buying a real Colt as there *is* a price difference ;)

Also, regarding the proof marks - what should the look like?  I've got a Colt OEM A2 upper and don't recall noting proof marks on it...

thanks,

-Calvin

www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/searrelief_ar15_m16.jpghttp://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/searrelief_ar15_m16.jpg
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are pics of the actual upper in question - with a not included after market carry handle added.  Again, thanks for any input.  Started this thread just to get a warm fuzzy about paying a premium price for a OEM Colt upper, now want to verify it actually is one to avoid confusion.

Thanks.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/cledford/image003.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/cledford/image002.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p32/cledford/image001.jpg
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a Colt forging to me, but it's hard to be sure from a photo. The color also looks about right.  I'm pretty sure that DD doesn't apply the Sandstrom 9A like Colt used to.   Did you confirm that there is no sear relief cut?

If you look on the right side of the receiver between the ejection port and the delta ring, you should see a pair of faint stampings, each about 1/8" in size.  One will be square, the other will appear triangular.  Only Colt receivers have these marks.  They will often be hard to spot unless you look for them.  If they're not present, that does not prove it's not Colt.  One of my Colt receivers does not have the markings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top