Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 3:19:45 AM EDT
I am looking to purchase my first AR15/M16 style rifle (so forgive my ignorance). I've narrowed my choices to Colt's Match Target HBAR w/compensator or Armalite's M15A2 (not carbine). Both seem to be quality rifles. I'd appreciate any opinions/info on these particular rifles. I understand that the Colt's barrel is not chrome-line. Is this true and how much of a disadvantage is this? I think I read sowhere that Armalite has a long back-order so it may take months to get one of their new rifles, is this true? Also, do both take pre-ban magazines? I plan on using the rifle for non-competition target shooting and plinking. Thanx.
Nero
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
First things first, Welcome! [beer]

You can't go wrong with either one but I would lean towards the Armalite because of the chrome-lined barrel.  I like chrome-lined because it makes cleaning easier and requires no break-in (I'm lazy).  

There are plenty of dealers on the EE that have the Armalite model you are interested in so there is no need to wait for it.

Finally, yes both will take preban magazines.

Good luck and welcome to the [s]disease[/s] club [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
My ArmaLite is flawless.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
nero, let me add my welcome to the above !!

My M15A4 carbine has also been flawless.

I might recommend that you at least consider the M15A4 rifle as the flattop will give you many more scope/mount options.  To me, the chrome lined barrel is almost a must so's I can shoot cheap, dirty, cruddy out-of-spec mil-surp ammunition !!

For best pricing I would give Dave at Quantico Arms a try.  Excellent ArmaLite knowledge, always a big inventory and fine pricing.  quanticoarms.com

Just remembered - Dave bought out the ArmaLite display at the ShotShow so he should have some great pricing on some 'fondled-but-not-fired' merchandise. !!

5sub
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I like both    but my choice is the M15A2, only because I own one, rifle comes straight out of the box ready and have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM!!
you won't be disappointed
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with either, I guess that's because I have both [:D].  Colt and Armalite are both kinda pricey compared to others, but hey, you get what you pay for, right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Colt and Armalite are both kinda pricey compared to others, but hey, you get what you pay for, right?

View Quote

Yep, you do usually get what you pay for !!

When one considers that the AR-15 industry is fairly mature - all of them, ArmaLite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS , Rock River, etc., - have just about wrung all of the economies of scale that's to be had the little pricing difference that's remaining can be traced to quality.  Quality of manufacturing and quality of components.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I currently have 2 Colt ARs and have owned 1 Armalite.  Both are great rifles but would choose a Bushmaster over either of them if I were buying a new post ban.  I think BM will give you the best value for the money.  But buy what you want and have fun.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the Colt. I have had no problems with this brand.
PAT
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Nero,
Welcome aboard!
Either brand or RRA, Bushmaster, etc, would be good choices.  I see the most important choice you need to make is which configuration you want rather than the name on the side of it.

Barrel length can be 16" or 20".  The shorter length is handier, but the 20" provides a longer effective range.

Flat-top or fixed sights is an even bigger decision (as suggestd by 5subslr5)  If you ever plan to use optics like a conventional riflescope or Aimpoint or EOTech, (or whatever) then the flat-top is probably the way to go.  You can get a removable "carry handle" that has the same A2 sights as the regular fixed sight AR-15.

If this seems too confusing then do what most of us have done, get one of each!

On chrome lined barrels, it makes no difference to me personally, I have great results both ways.

Read up here at AR-15.com and ask questions!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My colt will eat any brand of ammo without a single malfunction to date (2000 rounds).  My friends' AR's occasionally fail to extract because of stuck cases (DPMS & Armalite AR10)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My colt will eat any brand of ammo without a single malfunction to date (2000 rounds).  My friends' AR's occasionally fail to extract because of stuck cases (DPMS & Armalite AR10)
View Quote

My ArmaLite M15A4 has fired 318,986,432,001 rounds of mil-surp without a single malfunction.  Really.  (Well not really.)

My friends Colt occasionally fails to extract because it is filthy and that's  because he doesn't believe that guns should be cleaned.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
RE: Chrome lined barrel - Advantage or Disadvantage?

Depends on your preference and usage:

CON: Chrome lining slightly decreases accuracy (very slightly) but enough so that national match barrels are rarely if ever are chromed lined.

PRO: Chrome lining can help prevent corrosion and wear, this is one reason why the US military chrome lines its barrels.

You get to be the judge of what is best for you....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top