Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2006 2:30:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 12:05:00 AM EDT by gorvibub]
Colt was shipping my new LE6920 and LE6520 back to me from the factory and sent them to the wrong address. to make things worse UPS left them at the front door with out the required signiture so i have no way to prove if someone in the house took them (they swear they never saw the packages) or if it was stolen off their front porch before they saw the packages and brought them in. Colt the ATF and the local police have been notified.

between Colts screw up and UPS screw up i will be reimbursed and will get new rifles but i dont know how long it will take. it also makes me vary mad to think MY rifles are out in the streets with god knows who doing god knows what. it is funny that with all the media hoopla about "assult rifles" that the police did not care at all about the guns and told me to contact UPS to file a claim. it was only after over hearing my protests that a swat officer took my report (this was one of the good guys) and said he would personally look into it. his father ownes one of the larger local gun stores and he said he would tell them to keep an eye out for them. he said he would also contact the local pawn shops. i am still really pissed off and just needed to vent, thanks for listening.

P.S.
to all that hate to have to sign for packages that require a signiture ( i hate this too) this is a good example of where a signiture would of been alot of help if UPS had actually done their job.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:38:01 AM EDT
First off, I am shocked that rifles can be left on a doorstep without signature - whether someone requests it that way or not

secondly- I am also surprised that UPS with all their tracking techniques, cannot ID the place they were last

But that is whats happened and - It sure Sux!

Curious why you needed to send 2 - AR15's back to Colt........
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:49:19 AM EDT
Do not ever ship ANYTHING with UPS. Demand that people shipping stuff to you do same.

This goes triple for gun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:52:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 2:53:37 AM EDT by COLT6721A3]
Depending how they were packaged the UPS driver would have no idea what was inside the boxes ... and with the majority of residential households being empty during the day the majority of packages wouldn't get delivered if a signature was always required ...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:03:20 AM EDT
UPS can screw up just like anyother carrier.

There big screw up was droping off a package w/o a singunature when one was reguired. That little box brown box they carry will tell them sig required when the label is scanned.

I had simular dealing w/ USPS and a rifle they lost in shipment. Funny how they found it after I request the insurace on the packaged and brang up ATF. One week lost, say ATF item found in 4 hours.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:18:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 3:19:16 AM EDT by Speedy]
UPS sucks!!!!! I swear they've screwed up at least 90% of my package shipments in one way or another and their customer service reps treat you like dirt. Unfortunately, and I may be wrong on this, but I think they are the only package carrier that will still ship firearms...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:27:11 AM EDT
I had a DPMS complete lower stolen by UPS, in the Chicago hub. They said that the package got ripped and it must have fallen out. Like nobody would notice an A2 lower laying on the floor. The local police refused to look into it as stolen unless UPS chose to report it stolen. Of course, UPS said that no crime was committed, it just got lost, so they would not report it. I promptly called the BATF and they were very interested in why UPS would not report it stolen. BATF took the serial number and put it in the stolen database.

The worst part was that UPS made me jump through serious hoops just to get my insurance money. Their tracking number showed it dissappeared in their facility from Day 1, yet I found myself having to prove that they lost/stole it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:29:08 AM EDT
UPS will do a D.R., Driver Release, and leave an item at a front door, IF they consider the area "good". In other words, if you live in a safe neighborhood, they will do a D.R. They are SUPPOSED to leave a note on the door to notify you that they left the item. I am not a fan of UPS, but if the the shipper sent the item as a Declared Value D.V item, the driver would KNOW the value of the item. Allot of shippers do not like to shot something as D.V. an extra step in the shipping process. But, it flags the item for UPS' attention and it is SUPPOSED to get special treatment. The signature is good, as long as it is legible!
Sorry to hear about your loss, but what shocks me even more is your local PD didn't seem to care. Shoot, I could see if some doggy vitamins got swiped, but this is a semi-auto rifle for pete's sake!!!! Glad the SWAT Officer got involved, I would send a nice "atta-boy" to the Chief of the Dept thanking the SWAT Officer for his time and consideration. May help you out in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:42:37 AM EDT
That is a serious screw-up. Just last night I had to sign for my upper receiver. In my area, you either get a good UPS driver or a bad one, it's not consistent. Last week I had ordered a mag extension and a forend for my Remington 870. UPS left the package leaning against the CLOSED garage door and they didn't bother to go to the front door and at least ring the door bell as some of the other drivers do. So what happens when my wife gets in her car and backs out of the garage not knowing a package is sitting there? She hears a CRUNCH! and immediately stops to see what happened. By sheer luck she only smashed the corner of the box and neither item was damaged.

Like I said, around here you either get the driver who takes the time to come to the door and ring the doorbell, or the driver who is in a damn hurry and just lays the package anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:07:21 AM EDT
I just moved, so I hope my new UPS guy is a good one, like my previous UPS guy. No problems due to him - although last time I got an upper sent to me, there was a 1" round puncture through the side of the package, like it got hit by a pipe or something.

The FedEx guy however was a bit nutty. He liked to drive halfway up the driveway and hurl the packages towards the garage, onto the front walk, onto the porch (must have ate his wheaties that day), and sometimes even just into the front yard.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:12:19 AM EDT
Ummm, I would bet the UPS driver now has two Colt ARs.

They know what they are and they have the best chances to 'lift' it.

Yes Boss, I left it on the wrong guys porch, oh and I forgot to get a signature for them. I am sorry, but what the fuck can you do I am union?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:48:56 AM EDT
The stripped lowers are probably already in a river someplace. :(

We have a great UPS driver where I live, so I don't hesitate to use their service. I still use USPS where possible. Priority Mail has been good to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:12:08 AM EDT
I live in a house that is over 100 years old and UPS still can't find it. I live in the Boston area, not rural, surrounded by houses and apartment buildings. I see the UPS man pass my house everyday but they can't freaking deliver a package. FedEx can find it, DHL can find it, and I chat with my mailman every once in a while.
At my last place, UPS could find it, and left my Compass Lake rifle leaning against my mailbox!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:54:07 AM EDT
I live in a good neighborhood, but still there have been things stolen off of people's property. The reason I will not use UPS is because they left my brother's Gibson SG sitting on my front porch. It was in a huge Gibson box and had probably been sitting on my porch for a few hours by the time that I got home from school. Anyone driving by could have just got themselves a new guitar for free!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:59:04 AM EDT
damn, those are yours?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
Welp the UPS Santa just dropped off a sealed wood crate of M855 at my door, five mikes ago. I am surprised it was still wrapped in the Lake City emblazoned wood, the "US" wire tags and all, but it got here.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:04 AM EDT
A well known gunsmith in Mississippi quit using UPS because guns were being stolen at their Memphis facility. The cops, FBI, and ATF all got involved. I haven't spoken with him in a while, so I don't know the final outcome.

Personally speaking, when I was traveling for my job in the late '90s, just about every time some equipment or documents were sent to me via UPS, they got lost 80 percent of the time. Nothing ever happened when the same material was sent via Fedex.

I have my own personal Fedex account now and have NEVER had a problem with them shipping anything, guns included.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:21:07 AM EDT
That sucks.

Max
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:37:16 AM EDT
The butler did it = the UPS driver. My gut tells me he has the rifles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:51:47 AM EDT
We have a gate that stays locked, and our drive is about 50 yards long. I've come home several times to UPS packages thrown halfway up the drive with the packaging looking like hammered dog shit.
I had a custom stock put on a rilfe once when I was in college. I told the smiff that I wanted the rifle shipped back but held at the distribution center for pick up, and he relayed it to UPS. Came home one day and there was a large wooden crate leaning against my apartment door. Yup, my Rem 700 was in the crate
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:28:29 AM EDT
UPS always leaves stuff on my doorstep in plain sight. Or they put it under the doormat that is usually soaking wet, thus ruining the box.

Fedex put a door tax on saying a package was placed in my grill on the back deck, and that I had a signature release on file. Hum, I remember filling out a signature release when I was like 18 living at my parents house. Not now in my own house.

For any big money items I have shipped to my work address.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 12:45:48 PM EDT by Gamma762]
Don't discount that it might have been stolen in transit and not after delivery. Make SURE that the shipper runs a "trace" on the package so that UPS will look over the tracking info carefully. My business loses about one package a month out of UPS of a product that is identifiable by the shipper info and distinctive look of the package that they ship. They all show "delivered" in the tracking info, but at odd times (not when our delievery runs) and signed for by some random name.

If the package was identifiable as coming from Colt, it's entirely possible that it was stolen before it ever reached the doorstep.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 3:11:18 PM EDT by gorvibub]

Originally Posted By redfisher:
First off, I am shocked that rifles can be left on a doorstep without signature - whether someone requests it that way or not

secondly- I am also surprised that UPS with all their tracking techniques, cannot ID the place they were last

But that is whats happened and - It sure Sux!

Curious why you needed to send 2 - AR15's back to Colt........

rifles can not legally be left at the front door without a signiture so UPS screwed up when they did not get one. UPS does know where it was last, at the house they deliverd it to (or so they say). yes this does suck but i will get new rifles from Colt but i still want my stolen rifles off the street.

there was nothing seriously wrong with the rifles just some finnish wear from shipping and a loose handguard on the 6920. also the feed ramps on my 6520 were not anodized. they took care of all this at no cost to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:11:57 PM EDT
Those rifles were never left on your doorstop. They are currently in the hands of a UPS employee.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:21:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
UPS can screw up just like anyother carrier.

There big screw up was droping off a package w/o a singunature when one was reguired. That little box brown box they carry will tell them sig required when the label is scanned.

I had simular dealing w/ USPS and a rifle they lost in shipment. Funny how they found it after I request the insurace on the packaged and brang up ATF. One week lost, say ATF item found in 4 hours.

yes UPS knew it needed a signiture for the package but the driver decided to not look and do his job or decided it was not worth his time so now i get to deal with it. the ATF has been contacted and i hope they are able to get these rifles off the street. at this point all the local gun and pawn shops have been notified. i have also placed a post in the NV hometown forum in hopes someone will come across my guns and report them to the police. i will also be at the local gun shows to see if anyone is trying to make a private sale. again i want these guns off the street!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
I have had a couple of minor problems with UPS, but I've always received my packages... Sorry to hear what happened...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chainshaw:
I had a DPMS complete lower stolen by UPS, in the Chicago hub. They said that the package got ripped and it must have fallen out. Like nobody would notice an A2 lower laying on the floor. The local police refused to look into it as stolen unless UPS chose to report it stolen. Of course, UPS said that no crime was committed, it just got lost, so they would not report it. I promptly called the BATF and they were very interested in why UPS would not report it stolen. BATF took the serial number and put it in the stolen database.

The worst part was that UPS made me jump through serious hoops just to get my insurance money. Their tracking number showed it dissappeared in their facility from Day 1, yet I found myself having to prove that they lost/stole it.

at this point it is Colt's responsablity to file a claim with UPS so i hope it goes smoother for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:29:19 PM EDT
My UPS guys always make a notation in their little electronic notepads after they drop anything off
regardless of a sig being needed or not.

They have to know where and when it was dropped off...

Had a UPS super once tell me that many guns are stolen right in the UPS hubs themselves and that
they had gang problems among their many affirmative action employees...

UPS would never admit this in a million years ..at least in public- imo

my .02
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:34:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 91stsps:
UPS will do a D.R., Driver Release, and leave an item at a front door, IF they consider the area "good". In other words, if you live in a safe neighborhood, they will do a D.R. They are SUPPOSED to leave a note on the door to notify you that they left the item. I am not a fan of UPS, but if the the shipper sent the item as a Declared Value D.V item, the driver would KNOW the value of the item. Allot of shippers do not like to shot something as D.V. an extra step in the shipping process. But, it flags the item for UPS' attention and it is SUPPOSED to get special treatment. The signature is good, as long as it is legible!
Sorry to hear about your loss, but what shocks me even more is your local PD didn't seem to care. Shoot, I could see if some doggy vitamins got swiped, but this is a semi-auto rifle for pete's sake!!!! Glad the SWAT Officer got involved, I would send a nice "atta-boy" to the Chief of the Dept thanking the SWAT Officer for his time and consideration. May help you out in the long run.

ya local PD did not care at all even when i said i would report the PD to the mayor and governor for not takeing my report . i have contacted the swat officer's supervisor and let him know how much i appreciated his help. the swat guy was greate and very smart as it is very possible that it will be his ass on the line if these gus ever get used in a crime. who do you think they will call if these are used during a crime, swat maybe?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:36:41 PM EDT
ups has always been good to me...but we know the driver and he knows where to leave stuff hidden if we're not there to sign....however having said that i ordered an authentic bears jersey for my g/f for xmas......both the outside soft package and internal soft package were shredded and you could see the jersey plain as day....oh was i pissed.....as for fed ex.....fed ex around my area sux ass....i own a classic mustang which i am continually modifying and i swear everytime some part is fed ex'd it either gets lost....sent to the wrong place or when i pay for the overnight shipping it comes in three days...yes i live in the country...no my house is not hard to find......so ups gets my vote....but i'm so sorry to hear about ur rifles...at least you're getting reimbursed but we definately need these rifles off the streets or out of the hands of the thief!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:38:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By edwin247:
Ummm, I would bet the UPS driver now has two Colt ARs.

They know what they are and they have the best chances to 'lift' it.

Yes Boss, I left it on the wrong guys porch, oh and I forgot to get a signature for them. I am sorry, but what the fuck can you do I am union?

this is one possibilities i did not list above but i have thought of this and i am looking into it. you may have it exactly right.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:38:46 PM EDT
That's a horrific story. I think I'll help boycott UPS. I really do hate those guys.
Nothing but FedEx, USPS, and DHL for me anymore. No more of that UPS bull.

Tag for outcome.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
damn, those are yours?

yes an i want them back!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:40:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gamma762:
Don't discount that it might have been stolen in transit and not after delivery. Make SURE that the shipper runs a "trace" on the package so that UPS will look over the tracking info carefully. My business loses about one package a month out of UPS of a product that is identifiable by the shipper info and distinctive look of the package that they ship. They all show "delivered" in the tracking info, but at odd times (not when our delievery runs) and signed for by some random name.

If the package was identifiable as coming from Colt, it's entirely possible that it was stolen before it ever reached the doorstep.

looking into this as a possibility.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:10:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:41:30 PM EDT
I'm very sorry to hear this.

I hope it all works out for you but I imagine waiting is going to be very difficult.

I really hope you get YOUR possessions back or at least substantial compensation to replace them.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 5:02:51 PM EDT by ogcujo]
Look to the house it was sent to.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:08 PM EDT
I had a .45 auto that needed to go back to Colt, but I called them first and they told me how to label the package. I think they wanted it labeled with CIFD Hartford, CT - like no one at UPS knows what this is right?

Well it never got to COLT and I am certain that some UPS employee stole the pistol.
I got my insurance money eventually, but like you I was so pissed thinking that my pistol was in the hands of some criminal.

Good Luck.
I hope it all works out for you and I hope the rat bastards get caught and given the old Benito Mussolini treatment. (Oops is this too harsh?)

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:36:23 AM EDT
I have had many items shipped via UPS to my office and when delivery was promised and I see two or three trucks leave....I would check on the UPS site. Many times I would see DELIVERED and SIGNED by the status.
So I would call and ask...how the hell is it delivered and signed when I am sitting right here and have not seen a driver all day.

It appears many times they will say delivered and signed to meet their schedule criteria for timely deliverys....and then leave them in their truck until next day and deliver them...but they get evaluated on getting packages out on time. Strange thing is nobody at UPS seemed to care that their drivers were pencil whipping the tracking information and stuff I was promised that morning did not show up until after lunch the following day...

Long live FedEx and USPS.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:34:46 AM EDT
UPS left 1000 rounds of 5.56 on my doorstep last week...
Not a fan of them at all
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:51:42 AM EDT
I work for UPS in management and see this kind of bullshit every day.

I've seen our security/loss prevention guy come down and go after drivers who have DR'd 30k+ dollar avionics that said in plain sight "SIGNATURE REQUIRED, DO NOT DRIVER RELEASE."

Driver had some splaining to do.

However I once asked him, "you know, I'm a gun owner with some rather unique irreplaceable things, how can I ship them safely if I have to have them serviced?"

He couldn't really assure me package safety.

Consider that things like high declared value packages are supposed to be controlled to a UPS "high value" system. These packages get put in big red/white bags so that they are visible to the idiot employees. When employees see these they are supposed to take them directly to the manager supervising the unloading of the trailers. Then the supervisor is supposed to do a direct hand off to either another manager or the driver that will deliver the package, hopefully so that the driver will understand the importance of that package.

Few months back, Fulton was shipping 100 receivers into California going to one of the dealers here who was first to start helping get large numbers off off list lowers into the state. The shop owner told me as much, friend of mine, and I figured they would be declared value lowers. You do the math at 100+ dollars a pop. I went looking for the lowers and sure enough, they were loaded on the truck, never came in the red/white high value bag like it was supposed to but it was tied to the system electronically.

I've seen the UPS system fail several times and it drives me nuts. I'm looking to move on, have applied for a new job some place else and hoping to get the hell out of the dysfunctional company.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH UPS. MUCH OF THE MANAGEMENT IS BECOMING DYSFUNCTIONAL. First rate assholes in management pushing for production numbers and only playing lip service to concepts such as customer service. Only when somebody truely screws up do they act on it.

I just saw my 2nd boss in 5 years get fired for time card editing, recent one got fired with 2 years remaining until retirement(dumb shit probably figures it wasn't worth the risk now I bet).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:01:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By uglygun:

THAT IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH UPS. MUCH OF THE MANAGEMENT IS BECOMING DYSFUNCTIONAL. First rate assholes in management pushing for production numbers and only playing lip service to concepts such as customer service. Only when somebody truely screws up do they act on it.

What exactly can management do? Can they fire someone or does the union have too much power?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:17 PM EDT
Sorry for your mess.

Shit, FedEx left a 6520 at the front door of my friend's gunshop... We were out at lunch. Big long box, giant red GUNS sign, we were suprised it was still there when we got back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:03:45 PM EDT
I just had my complete upper lost or stolen in UPS hands last week. They picked it up but it never got logged in. I hate those mother fuckers so much and no it was not my idea to have the upper shipped back to me be UPS

Slug-O
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
If it is something important, have UPS hold it at the customer care center for pick-up. Never fails.

Better yet, use Fedex.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:11:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gorvibub:
Colt was shipping my new LE6920 and LE6520 back to me from the factory and sent them to the wrong address. to make things worse UPS left them at the front door with out the required signiture so i have no way to prove if someone in the house took them (they swear they never saw the packages) or if it was stolen off their front porch before they saw the packages and brought them in. Colt the ATF and the local police have been notified.

between Colts screw up and UPS screw up i will be reimbursed and will get new rifles but i dont know how long it will take. it also makes me vary mad to think MY rifles are out in the streets with god knows who doing god knows what. it is funny that with all the media hoopla about "assult rifles" that the police did not care at all about the guns and told me to contact UPS to file a claim. it was only after over hearing my protests that a swat officer took my report (this was one of the good guys) and said he would personally look into it. his father ownes one of the larger local gun stores and he said he would tell them to keep an eye out for them. he said he would also contact the local pawn shops. i am still really pissed off and just needed to vent, thanks for listening.

P.S.
to all that hate to have to sign for packages that require a signiture ( i hate this too) this is a good example of where a signiture would of been alot of help if UPS had actually done their job.

Sorry to hear about your loss...but one thing i definetly applaud you on is your attitude!! I really pisses me off to no end when you read all these threads about "what to go with for my trunk gun, something I really don't mind if it were to get stolen". Hello people, its not about being out $400, its about WHO has my shit, and WHAT are they going to do with it...With all the BS gun legislation, statements like those display a huge amount of irresponsibility. Thank You for your responsible approach to utilizing your right and enjoying this sport.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 1:30:28 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Had a UPS super once tell me that many guns are stolen right in the UPS hubs themselves and that
they had gang problems among their many affirmative action employees...

That too me sums up UPS, USPS, and FEDEX I've seen here locally... (Houston TX).

It's the kind of people that these jobs attract. It's kind of inescapable (sadly).

They (UPS) does the same thing, I'll have a box of ammo that needs to be signed off on and they dump it in front of my apt. door. I've had some more valuable items like optics and they did the same thing, luckily they weren't stolen... I can only imagine if they were.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:41:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:36:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ian187:

Originally Posted By uglygun:

What exactly can management do? Can they fire someone or does the union have too much power?

In some cases, they encourage this DR behavior so that the driver can effect a delivery by placing them under sometimes unrealistic performance demands.

One of my biggest problems with the management is the way they effect morale in the company, it's almost always negative and rarely positive. Morale takes a crash and suddenly employees don't give two shits about damaged packages anymore or other service oriented issues.

The union can be part of the problem in getting rid of problem drivers sometimes, I feel they are a neccesary evil for UPS because if there were no union drivers would be coming/going so fast that nobody would ever be around long enough to learn a route. The company would have to have 2 times as many drivers to deliver the same packages if that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:36:06 PM EDT
Update?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:55:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
Do not ever ship ANYTHING with UPS. Demand that people shipping stuff to you do same.

This goes triple for gun stuff.

I cannot agree more...

I was browned upon yet again last week, cannot get any satisfaction from corporate, and I simply refuse to do business with them in the future.

BOYCOTT UPS!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top