Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:54 AM EDT
I'm building a new gun for work and will be registering it as a SBR.  Plan to put a 10.5"LMT upper on it for entries.  My dilemma is that while I currently can use whatever brand lower I want, I will eventually get off the Tac team and then will fall under standard Department policy.  The policy only allows Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite and DPMS ARs.  Want I'm trying to find out (from all you "in the know") is which one of the 4 listed will best match the finish of the LMT upper.  I will also be getting a 16" upper down the road.  I have heard the Bushmaster lowers that start with "L" were manufactured by LMT, but haven't been able to find one for sale anywhere....

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Note:  Title edited to more accurately reflect what I'm trying to find out.  

Stay Safe
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Reconsider the 10 and a half incher upper.   The 11 1/2 commando style upper is MUCH more reliable and easier to get the damn thing to run.    You only gain an inch but it works much better,  and full auto 10 1/2 uppers are just about impossible to achieve duty level dependability IMO.   Did ya ever wonder why Uncle Sam uses 11 1/2???

As long as all your pin holes are in spec,  the lower doesnt matter much.   And I have seen all major brands with trigger pin hole isssues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Reconsider the 10 and a half incher upper

You're right.  Now that I think about it, the Colt Commandos we use are 11.5" uppers.  It won't be full-auto, but that is probably a better length.  I was hoping that someone had an LMT upper on one of the lowers I mentioned and could clue me in about fit (like you said; pin holes, etc.)  The finish matching isn't ultra critical, but it'd be better to have it be close.  Down the road, I don't want our range Nazis to gimme' crap about having a different branded upper on an approved lower.  And before anyones asks....yes, they've been known to do wierd crap like that.

I'm sorta' new to this AR stuff.  Primary weapon on callouts is a custom 700 for Sierra use.  But on warrants, seems like I'm put on entry when we don't use long cover so I thought the shorter upper would be good.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Reconsider the 10 and a half incher upper.   The 11 1/2 commando style upper is MUCH more reliable and easier to get the damn thing to run.    You only gain an inch but it works much better,  and full auto 10 1/2 uppers are just about impossible to achieve duty level dependability IMO.   Did ya ever wonder why Uncle Sam uses 11 1/2???

As long as all your pin holes are in spec,  the lower doesnt matter much.   And I have seen all major brands with trigger pin hole isssues.

Uncle Sam uses 11.5" uppers?  Which branch and what units?  Someone forgot to tell the State Dept., Dynacorp, Blackwater and all the other  High Risk Protection firms currently using LMT 10.5" uppers.

MSTN, Global Tactical, CMMG & ADCO have sent dozens for guys deployed in Iraq and A-Stan and by all accounts they are proving to be 100% reliable.

If you have other information/experience please share it with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should add that I'm not looking for some kinda' pristine finished safe queen.  I just need to know which one of the four listed has the closest finish and correct pin size/placement for the LMT upper.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess I should add that I'm not looking for some kinda' pristine finished safe queen.  I just need to know which one of the four listed has the closest finish and correct pin size/placement for the LMT upper.

I have an LMT on a ArmaLite lower and the upper is not as "matte black" as the lower. Trouble is LMT SOAKS their uppers in oil and when you dry them out they look closer to a Colt "grey" IMHO. By the way there is NO fit problem with the ArmaLite; nice and tight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#6]

I have an LMT on a ArmaLite lower and the upper is not as "matte black" as the lower. Trouble is LMT SOAKS their uppers in oil and when you dry them out they look closer to a Colt "grey" IMHO. By the way there is NO fit problem with the ArmaLite; nice and tight

M199 maybe I shouldn't worry about the finish.  I have to have the lower engraved anyways.  I guess I could just send the finished lower and LMT upper to be coated in the same finish.  I wish they were'nt so anal about the policy.  I mean, the LOWER is really the firearm anyways isn't it (according to the ATF I believe.)

Thanks for the input!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a contact doing laser etching in WI if you need it LEO marked.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
either buy a LMT lower or you can buy a Lauer/LMT lower from Denny's Guns, thats what I have on my LMT upper, looks and work great. Or you can buy a DSA Arms lower which is also made by LMT.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]

either buy a LMT lower or you can buy a Lauer/LMT lower

Thats the problem.  As posted above, our policy only allows Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster and DPMS.......I could get the LMT lower and use it now, but when I get off the team sometime in the future, I fall under the Department policy for Duty weapons.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Most L marked Bushmaster lowers are preban.  I have one but would want $500 because its a preban to sell it and could get it from someone else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Most L marked Bushmaster lowers are preban.  I have one but would want $500 because its a preban to sell it and could get it from someone else.

Good lord, I have an L-prefixed Bushmaster lower that I received last month. Are you implying that it is a 10 year old lower? Who do I contact at Bushmaster to have my lower dated?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top