Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 6:32:28 PM EDT
I picked up 3 mags today. 1 had the regular Colt stamp on the floorplate, the other two had this:

S (in a square) M16/M16A1 Cal. 5.56mm
UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

I'm assuming this was just a subcontractor, but I'm not sure. All 3 also have the dull grey follower.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:03 AM EDT
Yup, they made all of Colt's 20 rounders, at least in the early years. Your Colt marked mag should have their logo on the front wall.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:
Your Colt marked mag should have their logo on the front wall.

After I read this, I had to check mine and sure enough, there's a 'UI' logo there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:17:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dispatch55126:
I picked up 3 mags today. 1 had the regular Colt stamp on the floorplate, the other two had this:

UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

I'm assuming this was just a subcontractor, but I'm not sure. All 3 also have the dull grey follower.

Not a subcontractor to Colt, but a prime Gov't contractor in their own right.

BTW, AFAIK, Colt has always used a subcontractor for magazines, rather than make them in house.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:18:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2008 6:24:51 AM EDT by shamayim]

Originally Posted By edlmann:

Originally Posted By dispatch55126:

UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

Not a subcontractor to Colt, but a prime Gov't contractor in their own right.

BTW, AFAIK, Colt has always used a subcontractor for magazines, rather than make them in house.

Yes they were a Colt subcontractor; and yes they later were a primary contractor to the Govt.

The ones thet sold to Colt have the Colt baseplate; and the one's they sold the govt. have a base plate marked "Universal Idustries Div., Simmonds Prec. Prod. Inc, West Haven, Conn. USA

The Colt marked piece I have has the early shiny follower; and the baseplate is marked AR15, not M16 or AR15/M16 The Universal units have the later dull finish, and the baseplate is marked M16/M16A1
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
This might be internet myth but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some (all?) of the govt contracts in the Vietnam era had some type of requirement for small or minority contractors to do a % of the work.
Colt supposedly handeled this by setting up outside subcontractors to produce the mags.
Any one else remember this with a possible link to the real story?
Top Top