Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 6:32:28 PM EDT
I picked up 3 mags today.  1 had the regular Colt stamp on the floorplate, the other two had this:

S (in a square) M16/M16A1 Cal. 5.56mm
UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

I'm assuming this was just a subcontractor, but I'm not sure.  All 3 also have the dull grey follower.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, they made all of Colt's 20 rounders, at least in the early years.  Your Colt marked mag should have their logo on the front wall.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your Colt marked mag should have their logo on the front wall.

After I read this, I had to check mine and sure enough, there's a 'UI' logo there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I picked up 3 mags today.  1 had the regular Colt stamp on the floorplate, the other two had this:

UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

I'm assuming this was just a subcontractor, but I'm not sure.  All 3 also have the dull grey follower.

Not a subcontractor to Colt, but a prime Gov't contractor in their own right.

BTW, AFAIK, Colt has always used a subcontractor for magazines, rather than make them in house.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UNIVERSAL INDS. DIV
SIMMONDS PREC. PROD. INC
WEST HAVEN, CONN USA

Not a subcontractor to Colt, but a prime Gov't contractor in their own right.

BTW, AFAIK, Colt has always used a subcontractor for magazines, rather than make them in house.

Yes they were a Colt subcontractor; and yes they later were a primary contractor to the Govt.

The ones thet sold to Colt have the Colt baseplate; and the one's they sold the govt. have a base plate marked "Universal Idustries Div.,  Simmonds Prec. Prod. Inc, West Haven, Conn. USA

The Colt marked piece I have has the early shiny follower; and the baseplate is marked AR15, not M16 or AR15/M16  The Universal units have the later dull finish, and the baseplate is marked M16/M16A1
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
       This might be internet myth but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some (all?) of the govt contracts in the Vietnam era had some type of requirement for small or minority contractors to do a % of the work.
       Colt supposedly handeled this by setting up outside subcontractors to produce the mags.
       Any one else remember this with a possible link to the real story?
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top