Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 12:25:09 PM EDT
I'm a newbie to the AR world, and have been offered what seems like a good deal on a Colt Sp1. I have done as much research on these as possible (including reading Duff/Kuleck), but have one question:

In the interest of collectibility, is there a way to tell if the furniture (i.e. buttstock, handguards, etc) is original to this rifle (vs Numrich or other replacement brand)? It seems like the wear on the metal doesn't quite match the wear on the plastic. Did Colt mark these furniture pieces in any way?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has the triangle front handguards and the buttstock doesn't have a trap door, then the pieces are certainly Colt. If the butt stock has a trap door but only the door is checkered, and the rest is smooth, and the stock is 9 7/8" long from the rear of the reciever to the back, it is probably Colt.

Having said that, it's entirely possible that the stocks can be Colt, and still be replacements. Bunches of milsurp Colt M16A1 pieces are on the market these days, and if the original stock pieces were all banged up, the seller might well have spent  $30 or so to get a set and replace the originals. But WTH, if they're the original type, and Colt pieces, why worry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top