Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2003 10:33:54 AM EDT
Was in a pawn shop a couple of hours ago, and saw a Colt SP2 carbine for sale.  It looked exactly like the SP1 carbine I've had since 1977, except for having a forward assist and the flash suppressor was an A2 closed bottom model.

About 99% finish on it; the only sign of use was some rub mrks on the stock tube.  Barrel marked C 5.56 NATO 1/7. Even tho it wasn't marked for a chrome bore, the rear end of the barrel sure looked plated, but can't speak for the bore itself.

Guy wanted an even $1000.  Good price? OK Price? Or what?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems real reasonable to me, especially if it's original. IMHO, If you have the x-tra cash grab it.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Seems real reasonable to me, especially if it's original. IMHO, If you have the x-tra cash grab it.

Rick
View Quote

That's the darned problem---cash.  Just bought a house, moved 100 miles to a new job, and I'm trying to scramble the bucks for a new lower to put on the Colt upper I have been putting together. Haven't got the cash, and the wife will brain me with the thing if I put it on a credit card.

Well, the store is in an out of the way place, so I guess I'll have to hope he sits on it for a couple of months. Oh yeah, it also comes w/10 20 round mags.

All the rest of the rifles are deer type pieces; Marlins, Winchesters and such; so maybe I'll get lucky, and he'll still have it around the first of the year.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you think the AWB will sunset?

If yes, keep your money.

If no, buy it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well if its got the 1/7 barrel, its for sure chrome lined since its a military barrel. Is it the 14.5" (non M-4 of course)? Or the civilian version 16" 1/7 ?

Either way its worth a Grand easily. An original Colt Aluminum telestock and that 1/7 barrel are worth $500 for the pair, so you're half way there..... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rick
View Quote

That's the darned problem---cash.  Just bought a house, moved 100 miles to a new job, and I'm trying to scramble the bucks for a new lower to put on the Colt upper I have been putting together. Haven't got the cash, and the wife will brain me with the thing if I put it on a credit card.

Well, the store is in an out of the way place, so I guess I'll have to hope he sits on it for a couple of months. Oh yeah, it also comes w/10 20 round mags.

All the rest of the rifles are deer type pieces; Marlins, Winchesters and such; so maybe I'll get lucky, and he'll still have it around the first of the year.
View Quote

A Colt SP2 carbine with 10 -  20rd mags for a $1000?  An SP2 carbine, if original, goes for about $1400-$1500 in 99% condition.  I would put it on my CC and gladly let my wife brain me with it at that price.  Snooze and you lose.[:D]

Quoted:

.....Either way its worth a Grand easily. An original Colt Aluminum telestock and that 1/7 barrel are worth $500 for the pair, so you're half way there..... [:D]
View Quote

IIRC, only the SP1 carbines came with the aluminum stock.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
10 USGI 20 round mags at $20 each = $200.  You are buying the rifle for $800 if the entire package is $1000!  Seriously, if you are in north GA and dont want to get it, IM me and tell me where it is.

Edit:  I am assuming these are USGI 20's?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:14:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IIRC, only the SP1 carbines came with the aluminum stock.
View Quote

You know, I wondered about that. Have almost zero expertise about the later preban Colts.  The stock assy looked original, and in the same just about new shape that the rest of the piece was in, but the staking notches on the ring were just a hair off the stakes on the plate.  Still, even if someone had changed the stock over they woiuldn't have had to pull the tube.

Thing is, knowing Colt, if they came accross a pile of the old model stocks in the warehouse, after starting production of the SP2, wouldn't have bothered them at all to slap 'em on that days production run[:D]

Serial number on the piece is SP340xxx
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#8]
The first 100 or so Colt AR15A2 carbines had the Vinyl Acetate(Rubber) coated stock. The first 50 or so had Sp1 non fwd assist uppers.

It's a steal at $1000.  If you parted it out it's worth an easy $1600+
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top