Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:49:04 AM EDT
My in law's were in town this weekend, and my father in law brought his 80's vintage Colt with a A1 upper and the Colt 2-position collapsible stock.  Absolutely beautiful piece of equipment.

He, and his sons, have put thousands of rounds through it over the years.  The only time it has ever had a hiccup was when, years ago, he made the mistake of trying some crappy aftermarket 30 round mags.

He bought it NIB in the early 80's (for about $400)and has been the only owner.  To this day he enjoys it as his deer lease "roam around and blast hogs and varmints" rifle.

Well, come to find out, it hasn't been cleaned or even the upper and lower separated since it was purchased.

He brought it in town so I could give it the once over and show him how to clean it...

We tore it apart and I saw a few interesting things...

1.) Colt does (or it least did 20+ years ago) make REALLY NICE STUFF...

2.) I love how colt stakes castle nuts, very clean and very strong.

3.) The amount of BLACK SCHMUTZ on the BC and around the FCG in the lower was staggering.  Took a whole can + of brake cleaner and a stiff nylon brush to get them clean.

4.) There was no corrosion, nothing I'd call excessive wear, and the edges on the hammer and trigger were sharp and looked as though they were brand new.

5.) I was surprised how readily the barrel and chamber cleaned up.  Don't get me wrong it took a LOT of patches, and brushing, and Sweet's 7.62, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected... nothing like some of the milsurps I've cleaned before.

We went through some basic maintenace stuff, I suggested he get a bore snake, and told him "just bring it to me every year and I'll be more than happy to tune it up for ya"

Just thought I'd share.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
wow amazing!

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
5.) I was surprised how readily the barrel and chamber cleaned up.  Don't get me wrong it took a LOT of patches, and brushing, and Sweet's 7.62, but it really wasn't as bad as I expected... nothing like some of the milsurps I've cleaned before.

were those barrels/chambers chrome lined back then? i'm assuming no if you needed Sweet's...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

were those barrels/chambers chrome lined back then? i'm assuming no if you needed Sweet's...

Barrel and chamber was chrome.  Probably could've gotten away without using the Sweet's...

- AG
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my buddy's father has a SP1 that is nib, I keep trying to get it out of him so it can be put to good use.  

What kinda ammo has he run through the years?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
definitely... i like that Wipe Out foaming bore cleanser... with the accelerator stuff...

i think QUIB did a write up on the CLP foaming stuff in the maintenance forum... this would have been an AWESOME test for that... or just regular CLP in general...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of my buddy's father has a SP1 that is nib, I keep trying to get it out of him so it can be put to good use.  

Mostly XM193 and Q3131(a)...  Also a lot of remington and winchester 55gr SP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly XM193 and Q3131(a)...  Also a lot of remington and winchester 55gr SP.

The full power stuff probably helps keep her running, but I'm still impressed with how much gunk can build up on the bolt.  

Usually I see issues with wolf followed up by brass ammo, or similar combination.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for pics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#13]
i bought a nib colt sp1 carbine in 1976, 460 bucks.... i musta got raped. sold it about 7 years ago but was thinking it had 3 position stock.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Put a piston kit on it and it will be more reliable and you won't have to clean it as often.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Probably won't work right now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Probably won't work right now.

You're probably right...  Should've just left a good thing alone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]
LIAR!!

The guy on PBS told me that those things are unreliable and require constant cleaning.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
LIAR!!

The guy on PBS told me that those things are unreliable and require constant cleaning.

I think my Father-in-law forgot to consult with PBS...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Put a piston kit on it and it will be more reliable and you won't have to clean it as often.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
No pictures???????  Then it never happened!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#21]
You are not suppose to use Sweets 7.62 solvent on anodized aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]
reminds me of FALfile's "Old Dirty".
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I didn't... just on the barrel .

I think some people have an irrational fear of amonnia near firearms.  Although prolonged exposure to NH3+ ions, under some conditions, can weaken some metals, it is not like, "oh shit! ammonia got on my gun/ ammo/ whatever, time to scrap it..."

In a similar vein people have an exaggerated fear of things like WD-40.  I've heard things on this board (and others) like, "Don't wipe your gun/ magazines/ whatever with WD-40, the residual will contaminate your ammo and you will be in the middle of a life or death situation and all your ammo will be duds"

Complete hogwash.  Old Painless has done a good job of proving that.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't... just on the barrel .

I think some people have an irrational fear of amonnia near firearms.  Although prolonged exposure to NH3+ ions, under some conditions, can weaken some metals, it is not like, "oh shit! ammonia got on my gun/ ammo/ whatever, time to scrap it..."

In a similar vein people have an exaggerated fear of things like WD-40.  I've heard things on this board (and others) like, "Don't wipe your gun/ magazines/ whatever with WD-40, the residual will contaminate your ammo and you will be in the middle of a life or death situation and all your ammo will be duds"

Complete hogwash.  Old Painless has done a good job of proving that.

- AG

I'm talking about dribbling it on the aluminum receivers.  The ammonia in Sweets 7.62 is corrosive to anodizied aluminum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm talking about dribbling it on the aluminum receivers.  The ammonia in Sweets 7.62 is corrosive to anodizied aluminum.

I’ve never used Sweets, never had the need for anything that strong.

If it’s as caustic to aluminum as you say, and was used to clean the barrel of an AR, I would worry about it possibly seeping down between the barrel and receiver during cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve never used Sweets, never had the need for anything that strong.

If it’s as caustic to aluminum as you say, and was used to clean the barrel of an AR, I would worry about it possibly seeping down between the barrel and receiver during cleaning.

I've cleaned, literally, scores of AR barrels (and other rifles) with sweets.  
Is it strong? yup... nothing I've found removes copper fouling nearly as well.  
Is it overkill? maybe...
Is it highly corrosive to Anodized aluminum, the equivalent of pouring strong acid or similar on it? no.

I have a spare old anodized aluminum scope ring...  I think I'll drop it in a cup of sweets and post the results.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have a spare old anodized aluminum scope ring...  I think I'll drop it in a cup of sweets and post the results.

- AG

Do that, I’m interested in seeing the results.

I did a similar test once when someone insisted that Hoppes #9 would corrode my AR’s. I took a section of CH left over from a CCH BUIS project and dropped it in a pure container of Hoppes #9 for about 6 months. After 6 months neither the anodized or exposed sections of aluminum showed signs of damage.

I’m not doubting your success with Sweets, or saying you may be causing damage to your rifles. All I’m saying is, “If” Sweets is as caustic to aluminum as some claim it is, then the area between the barrel and receiver would be a concern of mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

I did a similar test once when someone insisted that Hoppes #9 would corrode my AR’s. I took a section of CH left over from a CCH BUIS project and dropped it in a pure container of Hoppes #9 for about 6 months. After 6 months neither the anodized or exposed sections of aluminum showed signs of damage.

I’m not doubting your success with Sweets, or saying you may be causing damage to your rifles. All I’m saying is, “If” Sweets is as caustic to aluminum as some claim it is, then the area between the barrel and receiver would be a concern of mine.

Maybe it would've been worse if you would have soaked it, then pulled it out and exposed it to oxygen in the air.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Here are the pics:

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- AG

Maybe it would've been worse if you would have soaked it, then pulled it out and exposed it to oxygen in the air.

I doubt it.  

Plus, I bet the old military RBC (Rifle Bore Cleaner) is/was stronger than Hoppes #9 and it was ok to use per the FM‘s with no warnings regarding aluminum..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top