Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2005 7:01:10 PM EDT
What is the quality and desirability of the original Colt Sp1 rifles and more specifically the carbines? Are they worth buying with all the variants available today? Thanks.Oh yeah, can the buttstock, pistol grip and flash hider be changed easily? Will the carry handle take scopes?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
great
yes
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The quality is good, but if you are looking to mod it out into something else, just go buy what you are looking for.

No point in killing a piece of history.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good guns.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is the quality and desirability of the original Colt Sp1 rifles and more specifically the carbines? Are they worth buying with all the variants available today? Thanks.

Oh yeah, can the buttstock, pistol grip and flash hider be changed easily? Will the carry handle take scopes?

The quality of Colt's products has rarely ever been a question...  complaints against them have mainly only been due to some dubious PC politics and resulting design decisions.

The buttstock, pistol grip and flash hider can easily be changed and the carry handle will take a scope mount w/o problem.  That being said, I'd agree with others, if you want a collapsable stock, Hogue grip and scope mount just buy a modern AR platform that is already set up for it instead of destroying the collectors value of a vintage peice.  It is probably cheaper to buy an AR already configured the way you want it than to buy one and mod it anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is the quality and desirability of the original Colt Sp1 rifles and more specifically the carbines? Are they worth buying with all the variants available today? Thanks.

The quality and desirability is definitely there.  I would venture to say that SP1's are one of the bargains amongst Colt products right now (compared to the prices they fetched during the ban).  I have a '73 SP1 and love shooting it.   I've always like the triangle handguards and skinny barrel.  A1 sights are among the most durable sights made.  I haven't had much experience with the early carbines - but I know the aluminum painted sliding buttstock is pretty nice on the earlier ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked clsoer at it and agree the pistol grip and flashider are fine, but the buttstock seems kind of cheap, and only two positions? So I figured a more adjustable stock might be in order. Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to rail it and all that,  just a few tweaks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I looked clsoer at it and agree the pistol grip and flashider are fine, but the buttstock seems kind of cheap, and only two positions? So I figured a more adjustable stock might be in order. Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to rail it and all that,  just a few tweaks!

I've owned an SP1 carbine since 1978 and it's still my favorite AR. Of course part of the reason is that I class 3d it, and XM177E2'd the barrel the year after I got it, so it's as close to the Viet Nam era SMG as it was possible to get to back then.  That being said, if you just have to have an updated version of a carbine, buy or build an M4gery, and leave the SP1s alone.

If you do get one, and don't like the stock length or whatever, the current M4 type buttstock fits the original tube perfectly. Except for having two less holes, it's exactly the same as Colt still uses, and you can change the butt piece w/o hurting the collector value of the rifle. Just keep the original in the closet or something
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What's a good source for an SP1 upper?

I know cdnn has them, but they are $370 and don't include bolt, carrier, or charging handle.

Any better deals out there?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know cdnn has them, but they are $370 and don't include bolt, carrier, or charging handle.

Thanks!

think that is going to be the best deal out there unless you search the equipment exchange or gunbroker
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks!

CDNN does not carry SP1 uppers.  A SP1 upper is a large pivot pin, the CDNN uppers are standard pivot pin M16/ Mil uppers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]
 I have owned 3 SP series guns.....all were flawless.  Smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]
great gun
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

CDNN does not carry SP1 uppers.  A SP1 upper is a large pivot pin, the CDNN uppers are standard pivot pin M16/ Mil uppers.

Thanks for the tip.

What other differences are there between an SP1 and A1 upper?

Also; does that mean that the CDNN upper (A1) will fit just fine on any modern lower?

Is it easy to remove the birdcage flash suppressor & install a three-prong?

What tools do I need to do that?

Thanks!
Drjones (FNG)
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The quality is good, but if you are looking to mod it out into something else, just go buy what you are looking for.

www.airforcesecuritypolice.com/invisionboard/uploads/post-3-1095644600.jpg

Hey Stickman, can I get a hi-res of this for my desktop.???
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That makes sense but I cannot afford another AR without selling my Colt SP-1 carbine. My preference is for an AR with all the bells & whistles. So,how much is my Colt worth in excellent condition (less than 500rds shot)?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
The only HAMMER forged lower out there..
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My first two AR's were SP-1's. I shot them many rounds not knowing how to service them. I sold them not cleaned, still running. They were Factory guns. Not parts guns. I believe a good factory gun is not hard to find and would want it only that way, me that is.

Clint, don't sell it. If you do, take a picture of it, write on that picture,'shouldn't have sold it'.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My first two AR's were SP-1's. I shot them many rounds not knowing how to service them. I sold them not cleaned, still running. They were Factory guns. Not parts guns. I believe a good factory gun is not hard to find and would want it only that way, me that is.

Clint, don't sell it. If you do, take a picture of it, write on that picture,'shouldn't have sold it'.

Roger on THAT!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:19:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive had my Coltguard SP1 since 1984.  Her name is Baby.  

Thats what she gets called by everyone!

Running joke in my house.

Dad do I get Baby?  

Nope, Im gonna be buried with her.

Mom, Im digging dad up!

Son, he loves that damn gun more than me!  

Other than the Coltguard finish, this is a plain jane slabside SP1.  The only mods have been an A2 Front Sight Post, Choate Round Handguards (ugly as hell, but Ive had them on so long, I cant bring myself to change them) and a Giles Sling.   And she'll shoot until the cows come home, but she hates M855.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Let me add, I have never seen another Coltguard finished AR other than mine except in pictures.  
I never really thought there was anything special about Baby except that she's mine, I've had her since I was 17, and the finish makes for a damn pretty rifle.  

Other than the finish, I never realized how sought after a slab sided, non forward assisted, round slip ringed, original Colt SP1 was.  I never liked the original triangle handguards, cut the shit outta my hand once, and promptly slapped on a set of Choates almost as soon as they hit the market.  This woulda been 86 I think.  

I went into the Marines in 85, qualified Expert on the A2, and found myself forever comparing Baby to the A2.  Oh how I wanted an A2, even came close a few times to trading her in.  

But, she was my first gun, I paid for half, parents paid the other half as my HS graduation gift, and the Coltguard finish made her different from all the rest.  After a while, thoughts of trading "up" to an A2 drifted away.  

Now, thanks to you guys, I realize that I really do have a treasure with the lack of A1 & A2 features.  

Now, if I can just find a matching 1911.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top