Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 6:19:09 PM EDT
I've been watching this auction over and over again for past few weeks and am considering buying one.  I'm not LE and don't want any type of trouble with the ATF, as I'm undergoing three form 4's...but I would like to get one if it's 100% legal.

RESTRICTED LOWER

The auction description states, "THIS RECEIVER IS MARKED "RESTRICTED MILITARY / GOVERNMENT / LAW ENFORCEMENT / EXPORT USE ONLY. HOWEVER, WE WILL SUPPLY A LETTER FROM THE ATF STATING THAT SINCE THIS RECEIVER WAS NEVER BUILT INTO A WEAPON, IT CAN NOW LEGALLY BE BUILT INTO A POST-BAN WEAPON FOR CIVILIAN USE AND IS LEGAL FOR ANYONE TO OWN."

I guess my biggest worry would be, assuming it's ok for me to own it in the first place, that I'd run across a real LE guy during a routine traffic stop and he'd freak because of the "restricted" stamping.

What are your thoughts?  

Thanks,
PBR
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I wonder "WHY"?  Why not buy a lower4 from Colt that doesn't say restricted?

I see no advantage to these lowers.   Every time you use it you have the same old discussion.  Every yoyo range lawyer hassles you.  Maybe even have an event with a stupid cop.

All of the above assumes they are legal to own.  I'm not convincved.  You ought to post this on the NFA board cause I saw a hole in the lower that I think is f or the autosear.  If so, I just don't believe the BS about the ATF says its OK.

I dunno.  WHY?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont see the Autosear photo in the pics but there is not a closeup of the rear of the lower.

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a really good reason for buying it, but it primarily seems to revolve around it being a Colt lower marked "9mm."  Admittedly, it's not the best reason to buy the lower, but I'd like to use it as a dedicated lower for a preban 9mm upper [red]ONLY[/red] if/when the AWB expires in sept.  

Thanks,
PBR
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
OK.  But I would still try and get one not so marked.  I have no idea if they are available, so maybe there is a reason you want this one.

Good luck.  Be VERY careful about this.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
"Colt AR15" is an assault weapon by name, so it does not matter what configuration the assembled gun is in. If it was manufactured after Sept. 94, it is not legal for civilians to own under current laws.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top