Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2009 7:14:56 PM EDT
I am considering buying a new in the orignial box Colt R6551 Sporter from a co-worker of a good friend of mine. It is the 20" barrel and it has never been shot. I don't know for sure when he orignially purchased it, but I believe it was several years back. He wants $1200 for the rifle. Is that a fair price or is there better deals considering the current market? It doesn't seem too bad comparitively, but I wanted a 16" barrel and collapsable stock. Can I sell the 20" barrel and what could I get for it?

I am new to ARs, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/16/2009 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea what the serial number is, so I can't tell if it is a pre-ban model or not. He did mention it came in a blue box, whereas I have seen older models in a tan box. Would the age of the rifle make a difference in pricing since it has not been shot?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure about what are their good prices are but I've seen them around for $1200 to $1400.

I used to own the same Colt R6551 which I bought in 1991, blue label box, they usually have an A2 flash suppressor, mine did not have a pinned sear block which in my own opinion a more desirable version, some later versions had sear blocks.

There are also some of them without flash suppressors which comply with the '94 AWB law, the only way to find out what year it was made is to have your friend call Colt, they will say when it was actually made.

The 6551 were made from '91 to '94 and was replaced by the Match Target series models to comply with the AWB.

For me personally if I ever get one of those rifles again I would not part it out, in my opinion they're worth more in the original factory condition because they only made them for a short period of time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 6551 Sporter Target.  It has a flash hider, no bayo lug and the sear block.  The only mod I did to it was to put a push pin w/detent on the front since the lower was already drilled (I kept the screw just in case).  If it's brand new in the box I would get it and keep it just as it is.  Get some more mags and plenty of ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
He sent me a picture that shows a flash supressor, the model says Sporter Target Model, and the serial number is 029718.

So is the the pre or post ban model?

I am thinking about getting it an just putting it in my safe and buying a cheaper or used model for plinking.

Link Posted: 2/18/2009 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He sent me a picture that shows a flash supressor, the model says Sporter Target Model, and the serial number is 029718.

So is the the pre or post ban model?

I am thinking about getting it an just putting it in my safe and buying a cheaper or used model for plinking.

Per the AR15.com serial number list S/N ST038100 and below are Pre-Ban.

Since the serial number of his rifle is lower than that it is for sure a pre-ban.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/serialNumberList.html

Link Posted: 2/19/2009 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
For that price, If you don't want it I do. If you want a 16 inch barrel and collapsable stock, I have a stag M4 that has a RRA national match trigger and surefire M73 rail on it that REALY has only 200 round thru it that I'd trade plus some of my cash  for the target sporter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top