Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2011 3:18:03 PM EDT
Is a colt preban stripped lower worth $600.00? Is that a ripe off ? A fair price? Or a killer deal?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:21:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2011 3:31:36 PM EDT by die-tryin]
You have few problems..

1) You live in a ban state and have no choice but to pay to play

2) They arent making any more Pre-Bans

3) The pickings are slim on finding them

4) Yes, that is a rip off, but I dont live in a ban state, it all depends on how bad you want it.

5) Capitalism - yea we all want it, some try to screw you while they achieve it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:29:00 PM EDT
Depends on you. You have to decide is $600 is worth the extra features. Also your paying for the name. a EA, PWS or BM would probably be cheaper and be just as good.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:40:13 PM EDT
rip off.

One can find a used Preban Colt RIFLE for $800-900ish.

It already includes a upper, worth a min of $400.. And most importantly a lower parts kit.

Buying lower parts that are Colt are not cheap.. Not much choice when some are proprietary
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:46:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stottman:

Buying lower parts that are Colt are not cheap.. Not much choice when some are proprietary

I forgot about that part. Yip, youll have to get COLT parts for the COLT rifle.

Personally, even in a ban state, id pass on that one. If you look you can find better/cheaper deals.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:01:11 PM EDT
I am curious to know, what exactly can you accomplish with a preban lower in CT that you can't with a post ban example?
Removable FH?
Collapsible stock?
Bayo lug?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:07:01 PM EDT
Folks in ban states are paying that much and more for preban Colt lowers (usually with the small parts included). Having said that, I'd advise you to do as the other posters suggested and find yourself a complete preban rifle in the EE or on Gunbroker. If you're patient you should have no trouble finding a decent preban Colt for under $1000.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:22:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zaskar017:
I am curious to know, what exactly can you accomplish with a preban lower in CT that you can't with a post ban example?
Removable FH?
Collapsible stock?
Bayo lug?

That is basically it. I know because I also live in a ban state (MA), You can have a collapsible stock, but it can't function once you get it to the length you want because it needs to be pinned in place. I was originally wanting to go the pre-ban route also, but in the end decided that it just wasn't worth the a$$raping you take to buy just a lower, when in most cases you can buy a whole rifle for the same price! I figure that once the stock is where it's comfortable, I would never really move it again anyway, and if I wanted to, I would just drive the roll pin out, and re-position it. Bayo lug? I couldn't care less about that, and would never mount a knife on my rifle anyway. The FH thing is a bit of a pain, but if you plan out your build the way you want it, that isn't a big deal either really. Not saying I wouldn't still snag a nice pre-ban if I got a fair priced one came along, but you can usually buy 6-7 brand new, perfect lowers for the same price, so that makes it really hard to justify (at least for me).

BTW OP, check into the legalities of a Colt in CT, because I was told that Colt is banned by name in the CT AWB, so I'm not sure how that would affect owning that lower in your state. Hopefully, the pre-ban status covers that anyway. Also that price is much higher than it should be for a stripped lower - even though it's Colt. You can get complete lowers in that range if you are patient in the EE on here. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:13:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2011 10:19:00 PM EDT by ToucanSam]
too much, colt pre-bans are a pain. pin sizes are wrong, some have sear blocks, etc. bushmaster, pwa, and olympic arms are considered some of the better pre-bans...also as someone else pointed out, I believe colt is banned by name in the CT AWB, but I'm not sure.

Here in NY having a pre-ban lower allows us to have a collapsible stock, removable flash hider/threaded barrel, and a bayonet lug. With a 'post-ban' rifle you'd have to have the bayonet lug shaved off, have the stock pinned in place, and a muzzle brake/comp welded on or thread protectors. Also, there's not exactly any relevant law or ruling showing that pinning a stock in place is 100% acceptable or how exactly they'd like your muzzle device welded. The safest way imo to own an AR in a state like ours is to go pre-ban. It might be pricey, but it is nice to not have to worry about the vague wording of the AWB.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:08:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2011 3:14:59 AM EDT by Pain]
Originally Posted By man-in-black:
Is a colt preban stripped lower worth $600.00? Is that a ripe off ? A fair price? Or a killer deal?
Thanks

No Colt preban rifles allowed in CT.

Colt AR-15 and Sporter banned by name.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:47:11 PM EDT
In Connecticut, both Colt AR-15 and Sporters are banned by name. Colt Carbine is the only pre ban Colt you could legally own. Expect to pay astronomical prices for the Colt Carbine since there weren't many made and they are usually purchased very quickly when someone has a chance. I saw a Colt Carbine lower go for almost 3k on gunbroker.com last year.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Pain:
Originally Posted By man-in-black:
Thanks

No Colt preban rifles allowed in CT.

Colt AR-15 and Sporter banned by name.

As stated in the last post there is a Colt preban rifle that is able to be sold / transferred in CT. It is not marked "AR15" or "Sporter." It is simply marked "Colt Carbine." There are 600 of them on Earth.
Top Top