Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 8:31:24 PM EDT
Just came across a Colt Match Target rifle; appears to be a 16" carbine with fixed stock in A2 configuration.  Upper is Colt (CMP stamped) post-ban, but lower doesn't have the typical Colt post-ban trigger block.  Serial no. is CSL 00064XX.  Price is reasonable for its condition(under $1000).
I've checked all my available references and can't find any production info on this rifle.  Short of spending $100 for a Colt Historical Letter, are there any references out there which might give me an approximate production date for this rifle?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I can think of is to call Colt directly.  They don't have email so don't spend hours (like I did) surfing their horrible website for an address.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Your rifle is a post ban, as you said, Match-Target Lightweight Model. It is similar to the preban Colt Sporter-Lightweight, but no flash suppressor. The serial number gives some clue as to it being a Light-weight model(CSL). I recently purchased its big brother with the 20 inch barrel, similar to the preban Sporter Target Model, thus the CST in it's serial number. My Colt Catalog number is MT6551; Yours should be the MT6530. Both rifles are not current Colt products. Also, my CST does not have the sear block.
 BTW, check out the Colt web site. They have updated it within this past week.

Check out the following.....[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html [/url]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info!  The rifle looks clean; no obvious abuse, and the bore was scrubbed after the last outing!  I'm not a collector of the various models, but this one might be an option!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I would sure keep that one. It should be real light and handy. A popular feature among many AR owners.
 I have the preban Colt Sporter target which was purchased in 1992. It had the Government profile barrel, which was lighter than an HBAR for a 20" barrel. The popular trend at the time was HBAR, so I purchased a Colt complete HBAR upper. I quickly sold the guvment profile upper. I have always regretted that  sooooooooooo....keep that lightweight MT. You won't regret it.

Randy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top