Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2003 8:45:08 AM EDT
I've been reading several posts about the benefits of chrome lined barrels. Just wondering if anybody knows for shure whether or not my MT6400C comes with one ?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes:

Specs for the M4:
16" M4 profile bbl. (chromed)
1/7 twist
5.56 NATO Chamber (chromed)
Flattop with handle (A2 rear sight)
Extended feed ramps
Double heat shielded heavy duty oval handguards
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Henry. Were did find that at ? Colts website doesnt specify that (or I just didnt see it).
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it a 16 inch barrel with brake or 14 1/2 with brake?
GG
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested in one and have a question.
Can it be had without the Brake? They go at shows around here for $995 BTW.

Thanks...

MM419
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a full 16.1" barrel.  With the comp it comes to 17.1" or something like that.

AFAIK you can only get it with the comp but it's only pinned on and you can easily punch the pins out.

[url]http://www.colt.com/CMCI/MTM4.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
We've been over this to death lol. Colt says no, dealers say yes. Colt sucks, some dealers know what they are talking about. I think it is, but I wont get one cause of that ugly ass muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm interested in one and have a question.
Can it be had without the Brake? They go at shows around here for $995 BTW.

Thanks...

MM419
View Quote

I saw a lot at the show in Hampton on Saturday for about the same price.  I even saw a couple, like mine, that were stamped "Colt Defense" above the safety selector.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We've been over this to death lol. Colt says no, dealers say yes. Colt sucks, some dealers know what they are talking about. I think it is, but I wont get one cause of that ugly ass muzzle brake.
View Quote

What? [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sry Im like a mosquito on crack sometimes.

I meant I called Colt customer service once and they said it DID NOT have a chrome barrel. Then I was talking to some people here and they say it DOES have a chrome lined barrel. One thing NEVER call Colt customer service, they will treat you like the scum o' the earth.

The last part was about the muzzle brake. IMHO it looks tacky.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm with you now.  I agree, Colt's customer service blows chunks.  Actually, the 6400 is the only postban civilian model with a chrome-lined bore and chamber.  The other "Match Targets" only have a chromed chamber.

The comp is ugly but can easily be replaced.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Now I'm really confused, I called Colt and they say no it does not have a chrome lined barrel or chamber and some dealers are saying yes. Wouldnt the manufacture know what they make ?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Now I'm really confused, I called Colt and they say no it does not have a chrome lined barrel or chamber and some dealers are saying yes. Wouldnt the manufacture know what they make ?
View Quote

AFAIK all ARs have chromed lined chambers and have had them since Vietnam.  And I can tell you that my 6400c has a chrome-lined bore.  Personally, I wouldn't trust anything the Colt CS reps say...they burned me once before.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems like deja vu with this question, but I also called Colt and spoke with a sales rep, who in fact confirmed what M4arc said that it is the "only" civilian AR that has the chrome bore and chamber.  This was also confirmed by Specialized Arament Warehouse, a very large dealer for Colt.  Why Colt doesn't just add that fact to their web site description of the MT6400C is beyond me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Seems like deja vu with this question, but I also called Colt and spoke with a sales rep, who in fact confirmed what M4arc said that it is the "only" civilian AR that has the chrome bore and chamber.  This was also confirmed by Specialized Arament Warehouse, a very large dealer for Colt.  Why Colt doesn't just add that fact to their web site description of the MT6400C is beyond me.
View Quote

Probably because if they added it to their website their CS reps would be responsible for knowing it!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info Henry. Were did find that at ? Colts website doesnt specify that (or I just didnt see it).
View Quote

I got the info here! So I'm assuming it's true.  

I don't understand this "the muzzle brake is ugly" discussion - it's a friggin' weapon!  Not like I'm going to take it out to dinner and then have my way with it - I won't take it out to dinner -  I just have my way with it - it's called shooting the heck out of it![img]http://www.fototime.com/88E8F0334ED99C1/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey the muzzle brake IS ugly. Not ugly cool, ugly ugly. In my experiance one does not need a muzzle brake for the MINDNUMBING RECOIL of a semi-auto .223. On select fire I get it but otherwise Ill stick with flashiders or a unadorned muzzle.

Mabey just mabey a .308 might need one but IMHO it doesnt. The only gun Ive ever shot the needs a muzzle brake is an Stg.57, 7.5x55 swiss kicks like a mule (actually its not smaller than .308 it shoots a .308 bullet, the swiss measure to the lands not the grooves).
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#17]
I personally don't think it's all that bad. It kinda adds a beefy look to the end of the barrel. I know it's loud, but I like blowing peoples hair back if they stand too close on either side of me while I'm emptying 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't understand this "the muzzle brake is ugly" discussion - it's a friggin' weapon! Not like I'm going to take it out to dinner and then have my way with it - I won't take it out to dinner - I just have my way with it - it's called shooting the heck out of it!
View Quote

What do you mean you don't take it to dinner?  I wine mine, dine mine then...[naughty]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm cheap - no dinner for you - just put out!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm cheap - no dinner for you - just put out!
View Quote

[LOL]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:11:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Its certianly ugly, but even Mr.Busmaster "ZRH" will have to admit that it looks better than their look-a-like AK74 brake.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup. I hate all forms of Muzzle brakes. Big, small, chinese, and hairy I hate em all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#23]
ZRH - I'll agree with your earlier post that ARs do not need a muzzle brake because there is hardly any recoil.  However we're not talking about muzzle brakes here, we're talking about compensators.  Muzzle brakes help reduce recoil and comps help reduce muzzle climb.  Comps do help, especially if you need a quick follow up shot.

So, technically you are right but no postban AR that I know of (in 5.56) comes with an actual brake.  While the Colt's comp, Bushmaster mini-y and AK are ugly they are also very effective and can easily be replaced for a more appealing one like a Kurt's or Cav comp.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#24]
The people at Colt should install those military lookalike brakes from EGW .They work and look the way an Ar-15 should.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Looks like a very nice weapon. Does it have a push out pivot pin in the front and what about the FCG pin diameter, large or small? TIA.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks like a very nice weapon. Does it have a push out pivot pin in the front and what about the FCG pin diameter, large or small? TIA.
View Quote

Milspec pivot pin but large FCG pins.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Milspec pivot pin but large FCG pins.
View Quote
No shit! A front pivot pin, that's a positive step foward for Colt. I hope they do away with the large diameter FCG pins as well, not that it matters functionally, it's just because I like to be able to interchange parts with other AR's or M16's if the need arises. This is the first new Colt I liked in many a year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I called Colt and the guy said "yes" they were chrome-lined.
Mine is at Wilson's right now getting that hideous Miculek comp off of it and their wannabe-flash-hider muzzle break on it. I figure if/when the ban sunsets I'll just drill out the end of that break till it's the same diameter as the rest of it (no tiny hole in the end). It will be a functional flash hider at that point, albeit a few more slits would make it better.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Oneshot, I couldn't agree with you more.  IMHO, it's the nicest rifle Colt has produced in many years.  I wouldn't have bought a postban Colt if it wasn't for this model.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top