Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 12:33:26 PM EDT
User Info Email User Reply Quote Edit Delete
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is true ... Is my colt M4 A1 14.5 upper from the Gov-Milat....? im curious if my upper may have some value your guys thoughts .he
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubt it has any value of concern.  Anymore than you payed for it anyway.  If the overall length is 14.5 it should be on a form1 reg. lower though or you have and SBR on yer hands!  Anyone can own a Colt M4 upper it is the lower reciever that changes it all. full auto, etc. etc.!  Take er easy!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The government doesn't surplus out any parts anymore and they haven't in years. I highly doubt it is an actual military upper.

Pull the handguards off of it and you'll see a month/year date stamp on it near the front sight. That'll tell you when it was made. The newer the year, the more likely its not a military one. If it was made in the mid 80's then it might be one of the first ones.

Colt 14.5 M4 barrels are expensive, but worth every penny. In your case, it doesn't matter, the older it is the more likely its a military one but then again the more likely it was shot out before you got it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope it was not shot out of i know that ..Its in pristine condition .. So it must be a extra then i guess the whole upper was definatly built by colt..    does any one else have this upper also im still wondering ...im going to try to post some pics soon...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
  I have the same Colt upper and it's an AR6921 DC.   I have it mounted on my Colt pre-ban 6550 lower.  
  It has the 14.5" M4 barrel w/step and the barrel is a 1/7 twist, chrome lined barrel and chamber.
  I sent it down to Kurt's Kustom Firearms and had him perm. install a Vortex flash hider to bring it's total length out to 16.1".
  I got it back from in Kurt in approx., 5 weeks and he did a great job on pinning and welding the Vortex on it to bring it to the required length of 16.1".
  My 6921 has the M4 stamp on the front of the reciever and it's all Colt's.   I am really glad I sent it to Kurt, but I found out later that I could've taken it to Steve at ADCO who is only 30 miles away.   I know Steve's turnaround is very fast and if I need anymore work doen, I'll take it to him.
  The AR 6921DC is the same upper as the Miltary/Police 14.5".   We civilians just have to make it legal by perm. attaching a Vortex or Phantom to bring it to the legal length of 16.1".   My lower is a preban.
Good Shooting.....
JD
NW Ohio
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pull the handguards off of it and you'll see a month/year date stamp on it near the front sight. That'll tell you when it was made. The newer the year, the more likely its not a military one. If it was made in the mid 80's then it might be one of the first ones.
View Quote

Does this only applies to M4 barrels?  I had removed my 20" Green Label handguards and did not see the date stamp.  Can someone post a pic?  TIA!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...to bring it to the required length of 16.1".

We civilians just have to make it legal by perm. attaching a Vortex or Phantom to bring it to the legal length of 16.1".  
View Quote

There is no requirement that the barrel be 16.1". If it has a barrel [b]less than 16 inches in length[/b] then it is by definition a short-barreled rifle. 16" is not less than 16" so the .1 is just an extra safeguard, like driving 54 in a 55 mph zone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
  The 16.1" is obviously a safe guard and anything under 16" is considered a
SBR (short barrel rifle)which requires a Federal Tax Stamp.  
JD
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Colt M4 bbl. upper are not a rare item.  You will see them all over this board and civies can buy them as easily as anyone.  "M4" does not make it a Military item per se.  BUT if you are in possession of one and it is on a pre-post(doesnt matter) lower you have created an SBR!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top