Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 4:46:05 PM EDT
I just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AR-15". They had an article about the M4 and its performance in Iraq. There were some photos and I spotted one of an M4 (the military version) marked
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."
I had been under the impression that all of the military m4s were marked "Colt Defense".
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:52:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jcrowl:
I just picked up a copy of Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AR-15". They had an article about the M4 and its performance in Iraq. There were some photos and I spotted one of an M4 (the military version) marked
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."
I had been under the impression that all of the military m4s were marked "Colt Defense".

I THINK that the production rollmark is added before the model rollmark.  Probably they ran out of "Colt's defense" lowers when they were doing a run of M4's and just grabbed a "Colt's Mfg Co." and completed the assembly.  I've seen a few LE Colts with the same mark.  I've also seen a few MT guns witht eh "Colt's defense" mark. It doesn't matter though, they are all made int eh same factory.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:55:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Strongbow:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

I THINK that the production rollmark is added before the model rollmark.  Probably they ran out of "Colt's defense" lowers when they were doing a run of M4's and just grabbed a "Colt's Mfg Co." and completed the assembly.  I've seen a few LE Colts with the same mark.  I've also seen a few MT guns witht eh "Colt's defense" mark. It doesn't matter though, they are all made int eh same factory.

I've got 2 MT6400cs. one is Colt Defense and the other Colt's Mfg. Co.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:59:51 PM EDT
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

All Colts made before 2002 will be marked Colts Mfg.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:03:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scottryan:
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

All Colts made before 2002 will be marked Colts Mfg.

That's sort of what I was thinking and these M4s looked well used.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:25:03 PM EDT
Not saying any of the above is not possible, but that magazine has historically been full of errors and misrepresentations.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:43:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Texkaw:
Not saying any of the above is not possible, but that magazine has historically been full of errors and misrepresentations.

well it was definitely an M4. safe , semi and burst, outfitted like a typical M4 in Iraq, and with the anodizing rubbed off in places.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:54:35 PM EDT
thrown down the driveway
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:14:12 PM EDT
I have seen them marked both ways.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:40:07 PM EDT
"Colt's Mfg. Co."
Hartford, Ct."

Hey, did they just come out with this magazine?  I swear I just picked up the Guns and Ammo's "Book of the AK-47" like 5 days ago.  I want the AR-15 version too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:41:06 PM EDT
it's normal...I've seen civilian M4 marked "Colt Defense" or SAFE-SEMI (instead of SAFE-FIRE)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:25:48 AM EDT
Never had a Colt M4A1 issued to me that had the Colt Defense on it.  Then again never had a M4 (all A1 verisons).

CD
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:35:11 AM EDT
My Colt M4 commando has the 'Colt's Mfg' mark.

Top Top