Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 3:09:40 PM EDT by remedy]
What's the best ammo to use for a 1/7 twist chrome-lined barrel? I heard that you shouldn't really use higher grain rounds and also that 1/7 tend to "burn out" after a certain number of rounds? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks,

- rem
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:19:36 PM EDT
Your barrel will last a LONG time. Probably 15k rounds or more. A lot more if you just plink occasinally.

Higher grain bullets are better for use in a 1/7 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:54:21 PM EDT
www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

1 in 7 is fine for most available rounds 55 grain and up. You should probably stay away from anything lighter than 55 grain. A 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 would probably be a more ideal twist if you were using primarily 55 gr. The 1 in 7 twist was adopted by the military to stabilize the 62 grain rounds. We have 1 in 7 twist barrels that we have run over 50,000 rds through, mostly Winchester Q3131A ( 55 gr ) and Federal 55 gr SP with no issues. This is taking into consideration that the weapons are used for duty use and not for surgical shooting. Shoot it up and don't sweat it. Plus, quality replacement barrels can be had for $200 ( Rock River Arms ).

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:08:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By remedy:
What's the best ammo to use for a 1/7 twist chrome-lined barrel? I heard that you shouldn't really use higher grain rounds and also that 1/7 tend to "burn out" after a certain number of rounds? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks,

- rem

Everything you have heard is total BS.

Best ammo for what? Plinking? Target shooting? Stockpiling? 50 yard and under practice? Termianl ballistics?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:31:57 PM EDT
Shoot what you like in the Colt M4 except some light Varmint bullets such as the Hornady SX and Speer TNT. These bullets are designed to be fragil and they can't take the high RPM produced by the faster twist barrels. The Nosler BT and other poly tiped bullets seem to be fine. I have a Colt M4 and it gets good accuracy with bullets from 45 grains up to 77 grains. I don't worry about wearing out my guns, parts are cheep and I bought them to shoot not hang on the wall.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:36:48 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys. Either I heard it wrong or the guy who mentioned it to me said it wrong. I also totally forgot about the ammo oracle, I had that bookmarked from a long time ago.

Basically I am just getting back into shooting again after a couple years off. A buddy of mine just got a new Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 4 and has nudged me into getting back into going to the range and stuff. He bought my Aimpoint CompML red-dot, so I just purchased an ACOG TA01 and am looking at either getting a new rifle for plinking a lot or maybe modding my colt. I kinda feel guilty about putting a lot of usage on my Colt, but after browsing a lot of the latest prices it looks like the sunset has really dropped the Colt prices. It even looks like dealers are selling new Colt LEO only M4A3's to the general public for around 1400 bucks average? I remember a few years back they were like $2200 and up (prebans).

Here's mine with the Aimpoint on it -

http://www.scottn.net/media/downloads/m4_0012.jpg

- rem
Top Top