Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2009 9:12:02 PM EST
OK, I know it's not a "real" AR, but any owners who have shot theirs extensively coming across any issues or problems? Overall satisfaction? Any pros and cons of how this rifle is holding up appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:05:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By hoser45:
OK, I know it's not a "real" AR, but any owners who have shot theirs extensively coming across any issues or problems? Overall satisfaction? Any pros and cons of how this rifle is holding up appreciated. Thanks.

Former Colt M4 OPS owner here. Very hard to clean, poor trigger, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:20:19 AM EST
Take it FWIW, but the general consensus that I've seen on them is that they're crap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 10:35:10 AM EST
I shot one at my local range (Colt M4 22lr - Umarex).
It shoots pretty good, and was fun. But the safety is akward, and the trigger was heavy.
Asthetically the rifle is good looking, but the magazine is long.

I'll stick with my conversion kit, and I toy with building a dedicated upper every year, but don't.

The only real "pro" I can site would be the cost (cheaper than a dedicated build). However, if you own an AR, the conversion kit is cheap and easy!

Just my two cents...
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 11:47:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2009 11:48:04 AM EST by mauiwowie]
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:09:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By mauiwowie:
This dealer didn't have good things to say about them:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140641947

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141283218

That.

Is.

Awesome.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 2:38:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2009 2:38:54 PM EST by SpecOps-13]
GO, SPIKE'S TACTICAL OR BALLISTIC ADVANTAGE OR TACTICAL SOLUTIONS, NOT COLT.

Yes, I meant to shout. so many have bought these COLTS and then sold them. I have yet to
look at one that couldn't have been made better in a garage with tools like I have, a Stone Axe
and Chisel....

Spec
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:08:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:27:04 PM EST
+1 FOR SPIKES AND YES IM SHOUTING TO
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:47:25 PM EST
Any actual owners out there with first hand experience shooting a good amount of rounds? I'm sure the dealer has reasons for not liking it, but I'd prefer any owner feedback. No offense, but I've had shop owners tell me all kinds of horrible things like "1911's aren't safe to carry and are unreliable...", "Colt guns are crap...", "Colt is out of business", "Springfield Armory is garbage, get a Colt...", ect. Of course, none of them actually owned any of them, but very opinionated. NOT to say the dealer doesn't have valid reasons, but I'd love to hear directly from any owners. Does that make any sense?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:11:24 AM EST
horse45, as an owner of the colt 22 which i had for a while now and put more than thousand rounds through it, i will be keeping it as i am satisfied with my purchase sure there will be some light primer strikes, ftf, fte, but not enough for me to go crazy and decide that the gun is crap but its a keeper for me. some mods to my colt, recently added stock and a cheap redot and borrowed the hg from my bm just for kicks

w/cheap reddot 30 round mag dump at 25yards rested, using american eagle 38gr hp and no jams

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:55:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By hoser45:
Any actual owners out there with first hand experience shooting a good amount of rounds? I'm sure the dealer has reasons for not liking it, but I'd prefer any owner feedback. No offense, but I've had shop owners tell me all kinds of horrible things like "1911's aren't safe to carry and are unreliable...", "Colt guns are crap...", "Colt is out of business", "Springfield Armory is garbage, get a Colt...", ect. Of course, none of them actually owned any of them, but very opinionated. NOT to say the dealer doesn't have valid reasons, but I'd love to hear directly from any owners. Does that make any sense?

I've got over 1500 rounds through my Colt/Umarex M4. At 1st I was getting 3 or 4 FTE per mag, but if I keep it lubed good, I have no problems.
It's super accurate
The only bitches with mine now are the crappy trigger, and the way you have to take the pot metal bolt housing apart to clean it.
I did find that it takes several hundred rounds to break it in.After that, no FTE at all.
I was shooting Federal bulk, and American eagle.
If you want a AR style 22 to just shoot, then punch the bore and spray some lube on the bolt, the Colt is ok.
If you are like me and like to detail clean it from time to time, the colt is a pain in the butt.

I also have the Smith 15-22.
It shoots very well also, but doesn't like American eagle as well as the colt does.
Lots of FTE,FTF with the AE in the Smith.
I found it shoots the best with CCI, or BVAC 22lr.
Has anyone else tried BVAC 22lr?
They seem to be loaded hot, and have a huge hollow point compared to other 22 ammo on the market.
Not one FTE or FTF with it.
I love the way Smith breaks down and you can take the bolt out.
The trigger pull is way better than the colt. Smoother than my AR.
Only thing it needs is a threaded barrel to accept a FH.

I'm keeping the Smith.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:07:55 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:46:46 AM EST
I've had my Colt/Walther/Umarex M4 Ops for about 5 months now. In that time I have put 1.5K (more or less) rounds of Federal bulk pack through it. I am not recalling more than 5 FTE. I've never had a FTF, and I've never touched the bolt speed screw. The factory setting has seemed to work perfectly.

One thing I know about the .22 is that I've shot it a lot more than some of my other guns because I can get ammo for it w/o having to reload because most of the ammo around here gets bought as soon as it hits the shelf.

I put a Simmons 4x32 scope on it, and I can hit quarter-sized groups on it from 30 yards w/o too much problem. Yes, the trigger isn't great, but I didn't buy the gun to be a benchrest rifle. I'm not a gun-smith by any means, so I have not messed w/the trigger. I don't have a gauge, so I really can't tell you the force that it takes for the trigger to break. I do know that it's more than on my .22-250, but then my .22-250 is meant to make little groups at 100+ yards.

Cleaning has not been a problem for me. Yes, it would be nice to have the bolt come out of the gun, but reallly, how much of a pain is it to hold the bolt back while you put a boresnake through the barrel? As for the bolt itself, I just hose it down with a gun scrubber and then clean up with gun patches and q-tips. This cleaning procedure isn't as through as on some of my guns, but it seems to work.

I have never fired a dedicated .22 upper, but I do have two other .223 AR's, and the Colt is just as much fun as they are.

Just my two-cents.

MO-Anglo-Saxon
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:47:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By MO-Anglo-Saxon:
I've had my Colt/Walther/Umarex M4 Ops for about 5 months now. In that time I have put 1.5K (more or less) rounds of Federal bulk pack through it. I am not recalling more than 5 FTE. I've never had a FTF, and I've never touched the bolt speed screw. The factory setting has seemed to work perfectly.

One thing I know about the .22 is that I've shot it a lot more than some of my other guns because I can get ammo for it w/o having to reload because most of the ammo around here gets bought as soon as it hits the shelf.

I put a Simmons 4x32 scope on it, and I can hit quarter-sized groups on it from 30 yards w/o too much problem. Yes, the trigger isn't great, but I didn't buy the gun to be a benchrest rifle. I'm not a gun-smith by any means, so I have not messed w/the trigger. I don't have a gauge, so I really can't tell you the force that it takes for the trigger to break. I do know that it's more than on my .22-250, but then my .22-250 is meant to make little groups at 100+ yards.

Cleaning has not been a problem for me. Yes, it would be nice to have the bolt come out of the gun, but reallly, how much of a pain is it to hold the bolt back while you put a boresnake through the barrel? As for the bolt itself, I just hose it down with a gun scrubber and then clean up with gun patches and q-tips. This cleaning procedure isn't as through as on some of my guns, but it seems to work.

I have never fired a dedicated .22 upper, but I do have two other .223 AR's, and the Colt is just as much fun as they are.

Just my two-cents.

MO-Anglo-Saxon

Couldnt agree more, I love my .22 colt. I dont see why people are saying it feels like airsoft parts or whatever. The Smith to me does because guess what...it is made of plastic, not like the colt!
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:03:40 PM EST
I got my 10 yr old son one, we have about 500+ rnds thru it. No firing issues, FTF or anything. He does not I really care if you have to rotate the safety 180 degree (big deal) we don't care about the fake rivets on the housing. At 100 yrd he can put a hurting on a coffee can. I lot of ppl are whining about it it's not a real big deal. I have a R/C F-15 airplane, I'm not whining that it can't fly @ Mach 1.5, since I know it ain't real. But it works.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:01:01 PM EST
What stock is that? I love it
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:32:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By PimpedGSG:
What stock is that? I love it

Me Too!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:39:02 PM EST
the stock is a copy of the original magpul m93 which has not been in production for a while now. a local airsoft store has them and noticed it will fit the colt, so i picked it up. not bad for $ 70bucks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 7:11:02 PM EST
I've got the M4, had a couple issues up front - cheap ammo / fte. After 300 rounds or so it really improved - keep the feed ramp clean and keep it lubed up.

Took some patience but she's a keeper. Quite accurate and lots of fun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:20:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 10:21:10 PM EST by Julien]
I have one, and I'm having fun with it.
It's not a match gun, but it does what I ask it to do. There are drawbacks, such as trigger pulll, safety lever rotating to 90 degrees , and awful magazines.
I adressed two of the three issues : safety lever has been modified to work like the original, and I modified the mag to looks like a PMag
I'm waiting for the MP15-22 to get out here to purchase one, but I would keep my Umarex, especially since I customized it.
http://ar15france.com/brd/download/file.php?id=362

Since the picture was taken, I put on a Aimpoint replica on a wilcox mount, the pistol grip has been modified to look like a M16A1 grip.
Top Top