Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2002 4:52:11 PM EDT
I thought I read here where a distributor was selling Colt marked 14 1/2 inch heavy barrels.  Does anyone remember any details?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.sawlesales.com/[/url]

Part number SA02012

$450 - OUCH!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
S.A.W. was sold out as of last week and could not say when they would be getting more. As they put it, "Until Colt’s military demand subsides there will be few if any of these available."
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#3]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3088[/img]

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The heavy barreled M-4A1s replaced most of the M-4A1s in SOF use early last year. Model 921HB They are a heavy barrel made to still take the 203. Unless you look under the handguards, you dont notice. They are a bit heavier.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#6]
And where I work we had a few Q.C. problems with the heavy bbl. design in the M-4s.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And where I work we had a few Q.C. problems with the heavy bbl. design in the M-4s.
View Quote

Just curious, could you elaborate?

Thanks

Ariel
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster sells a 14.5" Heavy Machinegun barrel which lacks the M203 notches.  A good barrel guy, like Kurt Wala could spin them on quickly and for a lot less than $400!  

But, personally I find the heavy barrel too heavy for general use.  Massive amounts of AUTO firing, maybe, but not normal SEMI use.  I had one of these BM heavy barrels spun down to M4 profile for general use.

If M16 ammo development continues on track I may go back to a lightweight 10" bbl like on the XM177E1.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Would fluting that heavy MG bbl. lighten it significantly?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I would love a barrel with a 14.5" lenght light under the handguards and heavy outside. Sort of an M4 without the cutouts.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well....Ariel

A little over 10% (100+ M4s were down) of newer heavy barreled M4s' where I work were down until very recently (a few new fixes seem to have cleared up the probs-we'll soon see). Failures to extract and failures to eject for the most part and some also  had problems with bolt carrier rebound.

The first fix was with the "black" extractor spring then the "donut" and the weapons still refused to work. A heavier buffer was also added (to help combat the carrier rebound issue). So Colt sent some "Loaner" guns and about 10 or more percent of the new loaners went down also. I would guess Q.C. went downhill at Colt for awhile but the new ones I am getting don't seem to have the Q.C. issues that the 1st batch I saw had.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Ariel --

Kurt Wala can spin this for you too.  Just start with a 14.5" Bushmaster HMG barrel.  A bbl I really like is the lightweight Dissipator he turned for me a couple of years ago.  

16" so I can play with muzzle devices without dealing with the NFA and with full length handguards I never grab a hot barrel.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.sawlesales.com/[/url]

Part number SA02012

$450 - OUCH!
View Quote

Actually- I think that barrel isn't a _Colt_ Heavy barrel- The last time I saw a Colt heavy M4 barrel for sale on these boards (I think from Pete-in-NH?) the price was ~$800.
Ouch ouch!

- Let me add that the barrel sold above probably is a great barrel itself- Larry Elmore is one of the most knowledgable and helpful  guys I've ever talked to.  He won't sell you junk.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Chuck I know about how good Kurt's work is , but he is very busy. Good for him, but bad if one is in a hurry. I will look into getting the HBAR and sending it to him to have as a spare.

KMFDM strange to hear colt having these problems, I was under the impression that all new Colt M4s had the stronger spring and insert.

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Kurt's wait is only 2 weeks thats not long at all for someone in the firearms industry.  There are gunsmiths out there with a wait of over a year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#16]
bushgun,

There are 3 heavy M4 barrel variations that I am aware of. One is the picture from Canadian Tactical, second is similar, but with only notches on the sides, the third is turned down from the notches forward. All are ARDEC requests to Colt. They are Colt produced but ARDEC's design and are a special add on to current inventoried M4's already in the system. The Army ordered 1500 initialy of the M4 HB's drawing number 12991850 and 12991849, which would make them darn scarce to the public, but some have been showing up on the EE boards indicating that latter production is ongoing.

The one shown in CT's pic must be current production on HB M4 versions. I agree that $400 plus is a lot of money for a barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kurt's wait is only 2 weeks thats not long at all for someone in the firearms industry.  There are gunsmiths out there with a wait of over a year.
View Quote

Kurt just quoted me 6 to 8 weeks on a project. He is fast by Gunsmith standards, but sometimes it is easier ( but more expensive ) to buy. Other times what you want does not come off the shelve.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]
The pic that Canandian Tactical posted is the current USGI M-4 heavy barrel. My soldier has one on his weapon. (I got to keep my light barreled M-4A1)We got ours early 2001. I have seen drawings of others, but they were just supposed to be concepts. Not the final adopted design.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My soldier
View Quote

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#20]
" My soldier" means just that. I am a GI, and a Sargeant. I am in charge of him. Just like someone saying "My boss" or "My employee"
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#21]
How close is a 6721 barrel to what we're talking about here?  That's a 16" heavy barrel.  I see the cut in Kevin's example under the handguard, and of course the cut for the 203, and the length.  Any other differences?  and sir, how did your soldier and his colleagues like the feel of the heavier M4 after lugging it around?  Do the advantages (I'm guessing heat dissipation- any others?) outweigh the extra weight?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Ariel:

Which model of spring? There are currently 3 types of Colt factory springs and inserts that I am aware of. The heavier extractor black insert spring (aka the "Black" spring)was on all of the above mentioned guns. I have seen in quite a few cases that the spring is just a quick fix, fairly often I see the gun again in about 600-1200 rounds after changing out one unless a "Donut" is installed and the usually I don't see for quite awhile.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#23]
I have never seen a 6721 barrel; But basically, foward of the front sight tower its identical to the light weight M-4 barrel. Under the handguards, its almost identical to a Bushmaster (only one I have seen) 16" HBAR. Only real difference is that there is the flat sided cut for the 203.

As for the weight, its noticable, but not really. By the time you put an optic, RAS, PAQ-4, the thing weighs a ton anyway. My soldier was happy, as he had an M-16 before.

In the 7 years or so that I have had an M-4A1, with shooting it 3 or 4 times a month, 600 or so rounds per session, I have only put it on auto maybe 10  times. Thats not counting just ammo burning. The only time I have ever been taught to use auto is during break contact drills, "mad minute" base defense, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ariel:

Which model of spring? There are currently 3 types of Colt factory springs and inserts that I am aware of. The heavier extractor black insert spring (aka the "Black" spring)was on all of the above mentioned guns.
View Quote

That is the one I was on about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top