Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/18/2003 4:29:31 AM EST
Greetings folks. I'm new to the board and new to AR-15's, so please forgive me for a very basic question. I recently picked up a Colt LEO Carbine (A2) and I plan to add optics and a light/pistol grip up front. Because of the fixed handle, I know I have to use a cantilever mount for the optics. Regarding the fore end though, it appears to be a standard fore end but flat on the top and bottom with 4 evenly spaced holes on both sides. Is this a type of mounting rail system or am I going to need to replace it in order to mount a light and pistol grip up front? Again, if it is a foolish question, please excuse my ignorance. I'm a long time pistol and SMG shooter, but new to these rifles. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:46:02 AM EST
Sounds like your standard handguard. The holes are just holes for venting. One option is to just buy a rail that mounts onto the bottom of the handguard using screws through the holes. Advanced Armament has package deals with the rail, vertical grip and light for around 150. Or you can go with rail systems such as the KAC RAS or ARMS SIR, or even the less expesive Fobus M series.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:48:56 AM EST
Do they look like this? [img]http://www.specialoperations.com/Weapons/Features/M4/m4doub1.jpg[/img] Does your rifle look like this? [img]http://world.guns.ru/assault/m4carbine.jpg[/img] If so, these are the standard carbine handguards; non-free floated, without accessory rails. You can mount a forward grip and a light to these handguards, but not as effectively as you could to a RAS ([url]http://quarterbore.com/kac/kacrasii.html[/url]) or SIR ([url]http://www.armsmounts.com/new.html[/url]) system.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:44:48 AM EST
Yep, that is it! Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the info. Guess I'm off to do some shopping! Gonzo
Top Top