Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/27/2004 9:50:04 PM EDT
I recently purchased a 6920.

When the stock is in the fully collapsed position, the buffer tube is receesed about 1/2"-1". The release lever does not hold this position, fully collapsed. I do not have to squeeze the lever to expand the stock.

Was it assembled wrong at the factory?

I know on my SP1 Carbine, the buffer tube is flush with the bottom of the stock in the collapsed position, and requires squeezing the release lever to expand. On my 6920 it is not, it does not hold the fully collapsed position at all. I can pull on the stock and it expands to the next position without squeezing the release lever.

Please help! Do I need to send it back to Colt?

lumberjack
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:32:49 AM EDT
Mine is only recessed about 1/4" max and it DOES hold the fully collapsed position.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:38:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KScoltAR:
Mine is only recessed about 1/4" max and it DOES hold the fully collapsed position.

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:51:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LUMBERJACK:

Absolutely impossible. Didn't anybody tell you that all Colt's are perfect and everything else is a phony!?

Sorry for the answer. I would have to look at it but my guess is the buffer tube is out of spec. It seems to me that it would be pretty hard to install it wrong (i.e. screw it too far into the receiver) because the buffer retainer pin would stop it before going that far (~1") in. Just to rule out the stock itself, switch the stock between the 6920 and the SP1.

If it is the tube, you will probably have to send it back as I do not believe Colt is in the habit of sending out replacement parts but I could be wrong about that? That might be an interesting problem as Colt only wants their LE guns in the hands of LEO's. I'd be curious to hear how they would handle a warranty issue on an LE gun for a non-LEO owner?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:29:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2004 4:30:31 AM EDT by canters]

Originally Posted By LUMBERJACK:

When the stock is in the fully collapsed position, the buffer tube is receesed about 1/2"-1". The release lever does not hold this position, fully collapsed. I do not have to squeeze the lever to expand the stock.

I know on my SP1 Carbine, the buffer tube is flush with the bottom of the stock in the collapsed position, and requires squeezing the release lever to expand. On my 6920 it is not, it does not hold the fully collapsed position at all. I can pull on the stock and it expands to the next position without squeezing the release lever.

Please help! Do I need to send it back to Colt?LUMBERJACK

The buffer tube being recessed inside the buttstock when in the fully collapsed postion is normal for that version of the Colt stock. Your SP1 buffer tube being flush with the buttstock is also normal.

As far as the stock not locking in the closed position, if this is the case, that is NOT normal. I have never heard of this happening with factory assembled Colt, but I guess anything is possible.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:57:31 AM EDT
Guys,

I appreciate the answers. It did not seem right that the stock would not hold the closed position. As far as Colt honoring the warranty for a LEO rifles for a non-LEO owner, I am curious also. I will call Colt and find out. I really hate to fix it myself, because I am adament about keeping my rifle in original factory configuration. As you know the retainer nut is peened. I do not want to alter it myself, but if it means Colt will keep my rifle if sent back, screw Colt. I'll do it myself. I'll let you guys know what Colt's response is.

lumberjack
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:22:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StewartTR:

+1

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:31:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4Kid:

Originally Posted By StewartTR:

+1

+1

Me three
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:09:30 PM EDT
Yes

Colt will honor the warranty on my 6920. I spoke with a Certified Armory who diagnosed the problem with my stock. The forward hole is drilled to far forward about a 1/8" causing it to not latch. They told me to ship rifle and that they would pay shipping both ways. I will be without my rilfle about 2-3 weeks, not bad considering that Colt Defense is ramped up with Dept. of Defense contracts.

lumberjack
Top Top