Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2004 8:41:56 PM EDT
what is so damn special about these particular guns? I have no clue, ar they military spec.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
They will make your schlong grow at least 4"  just by picking one up !!

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one and I am now a certified he-man.  I have to beat them off with a stick.  Honest.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know when mine comes in
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
But seriously--  Colt has a certain collector appeal that no other AR can touch, and the 6920 is relatively close to a genuine Military M4.  And some people thaink that the LEO/Military stamp might enhance its collectability/cool factor.  Other than that, they're just reasonably good qulity but over-priced ARs with odd-sized  fire control pins.  You can build your own that's at least as good for less, but it won't have the resale value of a genuine Colt.

At least that's my $0.02.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Look at the top of the page.  See the Search tab? Click on it, fill the box with "LE6920", search in "AR-15" and go back one month.

You will have more than a clue once you're done reading all the hits you get.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]
O.K.  I don't care about resale value all that much.  I just want to get another really nice one (AR) that's a shooter.  I was actually going to order a RRI AR1291 (I think?  Wilson fully lined chrome bb., Quad rail hand guard and Hoague Grip).  Do I need to rethink this?

I have a preban Colt (I've just owned it that long) and a post ban Bushmaster.  I will say this.  The Colt is a tighter weapon and has functioned flawlessly for me for probably 18 years.  But it is an original HBAR and it's a big gun.

The Bushmaster is a cooler weapon, but it's a CAR configuration.  It's also shooting impressive 3 round bursts.  Unfortunately this is not one of my Class III Weapons, so it needs to go back to the factory as soon as I've got a back-up.  

This is not Bushmaster's fault though, it's me.  I like the Bushmaster and would buy another one in a minute.  It's like, I have never in my life bought a brand new Colt 1911 that didn't shoot full auto out of the box.  Can't explain it?  Just me.  

But do I want a Colt, or to try a RRA (I've never had one of theirs)?      
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
My LE6920 is teh awesome.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Bushmaster is a cooler weapon, but it's a CAR configuration.  It's also shooting impressive 3 round bursts.  Unfortunately this is not one of my Class III Weapons, so it needs to go back to the factory as soon as I've got a back-up.  

I have seen a couple Bushies do this because of improperly heat treated fire control parts. There were both pre 94, however.

I like RRA, but you can also look at it this way. Theres Harley Davidson and then the clones. You can buy a Harley, ride it a few years, then sell it for nearly what you paid for it. It's just about the same with Colt. It will not depreciate as much as the other makes do, and they are still the standard of quality for production ARs. Yes, they do have odd size fire control pins and sear blocks, but you already stated you're not looking for class III.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#9]
You couldn't have read one of the FIFTY other threads on this gun, JETHRO?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This has been talked about?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This has been talked about?

Not in the last hour! C'mon it was time to revisit the topic!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I own 4 ar's, all Colts, for last 2 years I've drooled over the 6920 at the LE section of Colt's website.  I promised myself if the AWB ever expired I'll get one of these.  Well, I got 2 on order, dunno if they'll ever come in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to admit if I were not living in NY I would be on the waiting list for an LE6920 as well.  My two SP1's need a "youngster" from their family.

I have wondered if it would be possible to get a LE6920 that has been disassembled including the stock so that I could put on a fixed m4 stock and NY legal upper.  In pieces, it would not run afoul of the NYS AWB.  I could then keep the original parts for the day I get out of here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I order mine the day of the sunset and received a week later.  I am thinking of leaving it in it's original form.   My she is beautiful.  The BRD has got ahold of me baddddddddd.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
What?  The Colt bashers must be getting tired of repeating themselves.  Actually, everybody bought a LE6920 just to rub Feinstein's fur the wrong way......and Schumer, two Clintons, and Kerry and Edwards, too.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What?  The Colt bashers must be getting tired of repeating themselves.  Actually, everybody bought a LE6920 just to rub Feinstein's fur the wrong way......and Schumer, two Clintons, and Kerry and Edwards, too.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this is off topic, but can anyone purchase LE6920 from SAW or do you have to be LE or military?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
They will sell to civilians with the proper paperwork or via FFL transfer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Don't forget the large pile of cash...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Yep you can buy from SAW.  I bought one a week ago today and it should ship tomorrow (with their reliability package) to my FFL.  I never got the credit card bill in yet, so I there is a delay in the pain. :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
i want a 6920, but CT AW laws wont let me get one. damn it!

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
what is so damn special about these particular guns? I have no clue, ar they military spec.

What other rifle can you sell for nearly twice what you paid for it with in 2 weeks?
I've got one on order and I plan on holding onto it for a long time. It is going to be my last AR purchase for quite sometime with a new baby on the way.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So SAW is not selling these in accordance with Colt's edict that only LE types can buy one?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The fact is there is nothing really special.

For me, I like Colt.  I would want something that looks like military, although we all know the military one has a 14.5" barrel, has smaller FC pins, and of course the real thing is fully automatic.  The other thing that seems to be special is the LEO Restricted markings, and that will only be available for a while, and it may be a collectors item at some point.  Also, there is the fear of a Kerry presidency really clamping down on AW type guns.  And of course, the artificial shortage caused by Colt itself by saying this is for LEO only... And the AWB just sunset, and there is a pent up demand.

I had been thinking about getting one but I can't see paying a whole lot over retail.  $1100 maybe. But not $1500.   Let's see if Clyde Armory can get me one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So SAW is not selling these in accordance with Colt's edict that only LE types can buy one?

NO I don't believe that is correct.  What I was told was that Colt isn't changing their business policies, such as commercial firearms are sold to commercial dealer and LEO firearms will remain with LEO distributors.  They are NOT saying that they cannot be sold to non-leo, but they are saying that they are not opening up distribution to all colt dealers for "Now" legal private sales.

This is what the leo dealer that I bought my LE6920 from.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO I don't believe that is correct.  What I was told was that Colt isn't changing their business policies, such as commercial firearms are sold to commercial dealer and LEO firearms will remain with LEO distributors.  They are NOT saying that they cannot be sold to non-leo, but they are saying that they are not opening up distribution to all colt dealers for "Now" legal private sales.

Interesting!  This FFL said specifically that Colt would not allow him to sell the LE6920 to non-LEO's.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I heard also. There's a post somewhere here on Colt's official position stating that their first priority are to serve their  Mil and LE customers. Nowhere in the letter did they state that only LE personnel can buy LE designated rifles. Sure is hard to squash bogus rumors seemingly perpetuated by Colt detractors. SAW is probably one of the bigger Colt suppliers in the country and they will sell to civilians. I don't think they will jeopardize their good standing with Colt by going against their position on LE sales.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#28]
This was taken directly from the BATF website.

Q: Are SAWs (semiautomatic assault weapons)and LCAFDs marked “Restricted law enforcement/government use only” or
“For export only” legal to sell to civilians in the United States?

A: Yes. SAWs and LCAFDs are no longer prohibited. Therefore firearms with the restrictive
markings are legal to transfer to civilians in the United States and it will be legal for nonprohibited
civilians to possess them. All civilians may possess LCAFDs.

Here is the link to the page: www.atf.gov/firearms/saw-facts.pdf
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top