BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:30:08 AM EDT
1. Coming this year?
2. Civilian legal like the 6920?
3. Quick barrel change?
4. Any reason for the change to chrome bolt?
5. Any commonality with LW, POF, HK416?
6. MSRP?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1. Coming this year?
If you believe what you read...yes but late this year at best

I have heard August/sept time frame, and also from SAW that they aren't even built yet and aren't sure when they will be. But that they will. Id imagine the first ones show up Oct Nov but in small numbers

2. Civilian legal like the 6920?

Yes, these look like the 6920. But the concerning part is the 6921 lower. But then again, those do not have to be on the NFA registry which will create another cottage industry for those lowers

3. Quick barrel change?

?

4. Any reason for the change to chrome bolt?

Can't figure that out except to further the "it runs cleaner, and is easier to clean once you do have to do so" benefit.

5. Any commonality with LW, POF, HK416?

No- Best way to bury the competition is to render their product useless

6. MSRP?

early? $2,000
Once they get out...........1,600 or so

Of course all of this is conjecture, but all we have at this stage.

Several dealers are taking deposits and creating wait lists already so  the buzz is on
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
1. Coming this year?  Only if they are on time.
2. Civilian legal like the 6920?  Legal, but the same restricted sales policy.
3. Quick barrel change?  Not even close.  Requires a special wrench to install the castle nut style barrel nut.  It looks like it will also require some sort of ratcheting wrench due to the small less than 90 degree window you have to work through when the bottom rail section is removed.
4. Any reason for the change to chrome bolt?  There were a mix of chromed and parkerized parts used, not all the bolts or internals were chromed.  Just like Sig had a mix of parts used on the 556 displayed.
5. Any commonality with LW, POF, HK416?  Only flash hiders and things that fit on rails.
6. MSRP?  Probably high to begin with, and then add in gouging and demand.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I would like quick barrel change but it isnt a deal breaker. I will be very torn between the 1020 and the 556. My only reservation is the 1020 piston is very new and unproven, while the 556 action is mature and well developed. Both SIG and Colt support their products well though.

It's also scary having 4 piston formats. Choosing poorly means you'll be saddled with something obsolete with impossible to find spare parts.

And then there is the Colt mark up,..

but overall the 1020 is exciting stuff. And while I dont especially like Colt whores, I hope Colt does well, innovates and shows the USA still can put out a gun that rivals anything from FN, SIG, HK, GIAT, and Steyr
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Bit of a colt noob and hijacking here

I have no idea what these model numbers refer to and how to tell them apart. Not much experience with the Colt way of doing things.

Any help and info would be great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
6520 is a 16" light weight barreled A2. Barrel twist is 1/7"

6721 is a 16" heavy barreled flat top A3. It has a 1/9" twist.

6920 is essentially a semi auto 16" barreled M4. It has a flat top and a 1/7" twist barrel.

6450 is the 16" barreled 9mm AR15.

These are all of the ban free Law Enforcement models. If you're looking into a Colt AR15, I suggest you start with one of these.

As for the LE1020. *cough*

I could live with $1600.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
They had one at SHOT. There are two models LE1020 & LE1033. LE1020 is Title I, LE1033 is Title II ( 11.5 inch barrel). Both are safe /semi.

Not really like a 6920/6921; one piece upper receiver in IRS, different front and rear sights, etc.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#8]
guys where is the SHOT SHOW thread that showed the 1020.....????  there were some pics of Ken Elmore holding one.....

can anyone link me?

thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The bolt is not chrome lined, rather, it is lined with an andvanced coating called UltraChem (Nickel Boride) by UCT Coatings.  Allegedly, it allows the weapon to function without lubrication and Colt has the exclusive rights to it.  

I believe the Military took a look at it but decided against it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My only reservation is the 1020 piston is very new and unproven

Colt has been running a gas piston longer than anyone... the oldest systems in use today are the T-65, Rino and the Colt. The current system that Colt is showing may be new to you, but it has been around at least a year or so
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So is everyone elses piston.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#12]
So how much accuracy do you lose with the Colt piston?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I havent purchased anyone else's piston either. And it isnt LE1020 vs LW vs POF vs 416. It's LE1020 vs SIG 556 which is a proven and mature platform
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I havent purchased anyone else's piston either. And it isnt LE1020 vs LW vs POF vs 416. It's LE1020 vs SIG 556 which is a proven and mature platform

SIG is not even in the equation. Include the XCR and SCAR/ARM May as well include a Daewoo if you're going to include the SIG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SIG is not even in the equation. Include the XCR and SCAR/ARM May as well include a Daewoo if you're going to include the SIG.

It's my thread. I will determine what is in the equation. The point of this is to determine if I want an 556 or 1020 in the 4th quarter. The XCR is a contender as well. I have no interest in the SCAR

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
1600!!!

you could get a real piston based rifle in the form of a sig 556 and covert it to a 552,

come on America, there has to be at least 1 john browning, or eugene Stoner out there who can develop a new weapon, whats it been 40 years since a new military rifles was made in america.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Colt has been running a gas piston longer than anyone... the oldest systems in use today are the T-65, Rino and the Colt. The current system that Colt is showing may be new to you, but it has been around at least a year or so

Didn't a Colt rep get quoted from Shot as saying they only had 15,000 rounds through this particular gas system?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't a Colt rep get quoted from Shot as saying they only had 15,000 rounds through this particular gas system?

Yep  look here:10-8
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yep  look here:

I don't believe that they like being linked to here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I also think that $1600 would be about right.  If you buy a 6920 at $1200 and add a larue rail you're up to $1500, and adding $100 to that for a gas piston and continuous rail seems pretty reasonable.  I'm up in the air as to whether the gas-piston thing is for me or not, but at least the price seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
. . . And while I dont especially like Colt whores, I hope Colt does well, innovates and shows the USA still can put out a gun that rivals anything from FN, SIG, HK, GIAT, and Steyr

Colt whores?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just read that quote, and to qualify it...............

It came from the same guy who pulled a -look when the prospect asked about cold hammer forging barrels.

Seriously, I am not certain Colt sent the engineers to Vegas, but should have had a deeper understanding of technology, competition, and marketplace buzz.

My $02. ....but  I am neither engineer, nor industry insider.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope this posts also generates some info on the "coatings' operation Colt also acquired
and if they will be applied to this project...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It came from the same guy who pulled a -look when the prospect asked about cold hammer forging barrels.

Seriously, I am not certain Colt sent the engineers to Vegas, but should have had a deeper understanding of technology, competition, and marketplace buzz.

I did not mean for the 15,000 round count to be a bash on the 1020. In my opinion it just highlights that it's still a relatively new system.

Trust me, I'm very excited about the 1020. I have placed myself on a waiting list.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep  look here:

I don't believe that they like being linked to here.

Er um..... bad blood?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did not mean for the 15,000 round count to be a bash on the 1020. In my opinion it just highlights that it's still a relatively new system.

Trust me, I'm very excited about the 1020. I have placed myself on a waiting list.

I hear ya' !  Me too.

Curious as to who Mr. Rogers (on 10-8) was referring to when he said:

have had the opportunity to use and observe two types. One ran like a sewing machine (and it should, considering) but may not have done very well in certain official tests for a variety of reasons.
The other was problematic, and not viable for anything except sensational pics.

while not conclusive by any means, he does carry a lot of influence in his remarks

So any idea?

POF
Hk
L-W
ARES
Colt (which I do not believe he could have T/E'd by the date comment was made)

I do not want to imply any of these are problematic as I wouldn't know. I have yet to even lay eyes on one of these first hand.

Like I stated........just curious
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top