Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2008 4:51:26 PM EDT
Hello All,
New to the forum. New to rifles (a handgun guy). New to AR's Need some advice. Always wanted an AR. Didnt realize I can have one being in the Republic of NJ.
Not a hunter, just for target & eventually competition.
Visited a local gun store. He just got in a Colt Competion Target HBAR with a 16'' barrel & a detachable handle with adjustable sights, no flash & no telescopic sight. Said he thinks its about 5-6 years old. The rifle looked very well maintained & clean all around. He said he would take $850 for it.
Now mind you I am totally new to AR's.
Is this a reasonable price for it?
Should I just get a new Busmaster or RRA?
Is a 16'' legal in any competition?
Am I limited to COLT only accesories. Heard a lot of Colt rifles are very particular about mating to other parts.
Thanks for any input you can give to this newbie
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Price sounds resonable.  Shouldn't have any issues with parts not working together. as for competition I have no clue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Colt Hbar in 20" and have nothing but good things to say.
I shoot the AE tactical xm193 55gr.

Get it, you'll end up with more
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 20" Match HBAR. If I were buying a Colt HBAR I'd look for one with a 20" barrel. Reason: the 20" can be used for CMP Service Rifle Competion. The 16" is not a legal length for CMP Service Rifle. That's just me. If you have no interest in competing with that rifle in Service Rifle, then I guess barrel length does not matter...

You should look into CMP, however. If it looks interesting then by all means look for a 20" version that meets the requirements. Here are the rules: CMP Rules

EMT: Just noticed this was post #1 for you. Welcome to ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 16" is not a legal length for CMP Service Rifle. That's just me. If you have no interest in competing with that rifle in Service Rifle, then I guess barrel length does not matter...

Grey: I didnt notice anything in CMP rules saying no 16" barrels. It does say it has to be a service issued rifle or the civilian equivlance. I am to presume there werent 16" barrels issued?

Thanks for the welcomes
Just joined the AR15 club. Pick up the my Colt tonight. Payed $800.
Any "must haves" that I need to get?
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#5]
ammo, mags... pictures for us.... the usual =)
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the Black Rifle Disease club, we just say it "BRD".

I'm not sure if they changed the rules about using 16" AR carbines but my uncle borrowed my Colt 16" SP2 carbine with collapsible stock to qualify to get his USGI M1 Garand rifle, he shot the match and got his nice Garand.

To be sure just ask your local CMP office about it and if not ask about if they have any informal match that allows it.

You would need a USMC parade M16 sling for general use and match.

Other tactical slings that are popular are Blue Force Gear Vickers, Gear Sector and Viking Tactics two point slings.

Also get extra mags (10 rounds only in NJ?), 44MAG dealer (link on top of the page) sells D&H and C Products 10 round and other mags.

Les us know how your AR shoots.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
That sounds like a reasonable price for the 16" competition heavy barrel.  I bought a new 20" Colt Competition heavy barrel AR during the AWB.   I have since gone into BRD full stride.  My upper had the plain barrel but after the ban I had the barrel threaded and put on an A-2 flash hider.  After buying a couple of RRA lowers with the RRA NM triggers I got to where I hated the colt.  The trigger in my Colt rifle was terrible.  The steel was so soft it wouldn't hold a consistent pull from day one.  I hated not having the front take down push pin.  I hated the oversize trigger pins.  I had an extra standard trigger laying around so I drilled the trigger and hammer pins out to fit the Colt.   At that point I at least had a decent trigger pull without spending a fortune.  The Colt 1 in 9 chrome lined barrel is very accurate so when a friend was looking for an AR I sold the Colt lower with a 16" upper.  He's happy and has since installed a RRA NM trigger made for the large pins.  I think these RRA NM triggers are out of production now.  The Colt upper now rides on a RRA NM lower and I really like it.  IMO the civilian Colts are overpriced!  I think Colt is required to keep their quality control up on Federal government contracts and everything else is really so so.  A local PD had Colt carbines ordered from a Colt Law Enforcement Dealer in Pa.  After waiting over a year they finally gave up after receiving several updated delivery dates.  The Chief was a big Colt fan from single action Army's, 1911's and diamondbacks.  Personally after building several AR's I'm content with good quality parts and not concerned if they say Colt.  To me I look at each gun on its own merits as every company will let a looser through because of mass production. Just my two cents but there are a lot of other AR's that will do anything a Colt will and last just as long if not longer and for less money.   I even like horses but they don't have to be on my guns!
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#8]
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll100/ah141nj/AR/IMG_7336.jpg

Thats all I can upload now...I am at work have
As for ammo...I havent really havent had that much to play with. I just picked up a couple of boxes of cheap stuff last night to make sure it shot.

Any suggestions for a 1/9 twist?
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good,You got a good deal I bought mine last month at 1000.00 bucks. Mine is a Colt Match target competition Hbar II  16 inch barrel. I don't shooting competition but I have shot alot of rounds through mine already and it is 100%. You also can get a 22 long rifle conversion kit for them and they will be alot cheaper to shoot and gives you alot more trigger time. Welcome to the ''BRD" and enjoy it
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Mine is a Colt Match target competition Hbar II  16 inch barrel.

Thats exactly what I have.

What do you feed yours?

Havent really gone ammo shopping yet.

Iron sights or scope?

Thanks for all  the welcomes.

Hope you guys still feel that way after I ask all my newbie questions.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I purchased a Colt Match Competition HBAR II in 1996 and have put about 8000 flawless rounds through it.  It will shoot MOA with handloads if I do my part.  

You made a good choice.  There is no bad Colt AR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top