Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2017 1:16:31 PM EDT
Mods if this isn't retro, please move or delete.  I figured the retro knowledge base here might be the best group to help.

I just purchased a new Colt factory Commando upper minus BCG, CH, and rear sight/carry handle from a member.  I'm just doing research before it arrives, because it's part of the fun.  I've been googling for 2 days.  

I'm having a hard time determining what models had bayonet lugs?
Maybe keener eyes than mine can confirm, is that a lightweight contour and .625" under the gas port?
Are those skinny handguards?  If so do you think they should be 6 or 7 hole?

I'll know all soon enough, but wondering what the history of this model could be.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like double heat shield, current M4 (fat) handguards.  Correct for this model.   With the A2 F/H I'm guessing the barrel is .750.  Ought to be fun to play with.

Here's a link that may help you out from the vaults.:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/698035_Colt_and_the_Euro_Commando.html
pictures half way down.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got some skinny handguards to try on it.  Can't find much information about bayonet lugs on 11.5" barreled Commandos.

Is it true that the commandos have a slim profile barrel under the handguards?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like double heat shield, current M4 (fat) handguards.  Correct for this model.   With the A2 F/H I'm guessing the barrel is .750.  Ought to be fun to play with.

Here's a link that may help you out from the vaults.:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/698035_Colt_and_the_Euro_Commando.html
pictures half way down.
View Quote
Thank you for the link.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It appears that what you have is the LE6933 upper. It seems that most of the 6933 uppers have the bayonet lug.

Colt M4 Commando

The Colt M4 Commando (Model 933 and 935) would have either an 11.5" A1 profile 1/7 barrel (.625") or an 11.5" A2 profile 1/7 barrel (.750"). Handguards would be the double-shielded M4 variety. As far as the bayonet lug goes, I have seen them with and without. Not sure when they started coming without them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It appears that what you have is the LE6933 upper. It seems that most of the 6933 uppers have the bayonet lug.

Colt M4 Commando

The Colt M4 Commando (Model 933 and 935) would have either an 11.5" A1 profile 1/7 barrel (.625") or an 11.5" A2 profile 1/7 barrel (.750"). Handguards would be the double-shielded M4 variety. As far as the bayonet lug goes, I have seen them with and without. Not sure when they started coming without them.
View Quote
Yup.  the 6933 appears to still be in production, and currently comes with the M4 handguards.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone.  The bayonet lugs was throwing me.  I'll see if the barrel is dated when it arrives and let you know what's under the hood when I have the grips off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Colt M4 Commando

View Quote
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree.  It's actually the other way around, Colt 11.5" barrels have been coming out of the factory without a bayonet lug since they first came out with for the XM177E2 in the 60's.  No bayo lug on the Colt webpage that you linked either.  As for A2 .750" FSB on a 933?  I don't think they've ever left Colt like that.

The other thread does link to a Commando style Colt but it's special production for Italy and the box says it's a 6921, not a 6933.

For the OP, what and where are the barrel markings?  What's the barrel dia forward of the FSB?

It's possible that this barrel has been cut down from 6720 or something else.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree.  It's actually the other way around, Colt 11.5" barrels have been coming out of the factory without a bayonet lug since they first came out with for the XM177E2 in the 60's.  No bayo lug on the Colt webpage that you linked either.  As for A2 .750" FSB on a 933?  I don't think they've ever left Colt like that.

The other thread does link to a Commando style Colt but it's special production for Italy and the box says it's a 6921, not a 6933.

For the OP, what and where are the barrel markings?  What's the barrel dia forward of the FSB?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Colt M4 Commando

Not my pics or upper, but these are from a current EE ad for a Colt LE6933 upper receiver group. The barrel diameter appears to be .750" at the FSB (note size difference between the legs of the front sight base and the end of the barrel) and it definitely has a lug.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Colt certainly has done some odd things over the years.  If they are coming out of the factory that way now then it is fairly recent, meaning most will have .625" FSB and .610" forward of that.  I'd be interested to see what it's called on the box.  That upper looks very similar to the one linked in the other thread but it was labelled 6921-12ita or something like that.  

I'm curious why they'd go to .750" but keep the lightweight profile forward of the FSB?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I found this.  Does this clarify any of the questions that I asked or have arisen in the thread?  I don't know enough colt history but thought maybe the description and box may help.  Not sure if this where mine came from, but looks similar.  Mine isn't here yet:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/colt-6933-conversion-kit-upper-receiver-assembly-w-bolt-and-charging-handle-new.html

Original Colt Commando 6933 Conversion Kit upper receiver assembly, 5.56x45mm, 11.5" barrel, full auto bolt carrier, flat top rail with M4 flip up battle sight, NEW in BOX

Sold as an assembly.

You won't find BRAND NEW uppers like this anywhere else!
These came out of the Colt factory years ago and have been stored away until we discovered them!
These boxed Colt Factory uppers have an 11.5" barrel, and a M4 full auto bolt carrier.
Perfect for an SBR or a pistol, these uppers have M4/MaTech flip up battle sights already installed.
Comes with a bagged muzzle cap for the A2 flash hider, and two-piece adapter pivot pin.
These are equipped with a carbine length handguard that has an aluminum heat shielding inside, protecting your support hand from excessive heat.

These conversion kits have NEVER been fired or even pinned onto a lower receiver, so there are no marrs on the bolt face or the upper receiver.
Factory packed with manuals and all original items included.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I found this.  Does this clarify any of the questions that I asked or have arisen in the thread?  I don't know enough colt history but thought maybe the description and box may help.  Not sure if this where mine came from, but looks similar.  Mine isn't here yet:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/colt-6933-conversion-kit-upper-receiver-assembly-w-bolt-and-charging-handle-new.html

Original Colt Commando 6933 Conversion Kit upper receiver assembly, 5.56x45mm, 11.5" barrel, full auto bolt carrier, flat top rail with M4 flip up battle sight, NEW in BOX

Sold as an assembly.

You won't find BRAND NEW uppers like this anywhere else!
These came out of the Colt factory years ago and have been stored away until we discovered them!
These boxed Colt Factory uppers have an 11.5" barrel, and a M4 full auto bolt carrier.
Perfect for an SBR or a pistol, these uppers have M4/MaTech flip up battle sights already installed.
Comes with a bagged muzzle cap for the A2 flash hider, and two-piece adapter pivot pin.
These are equipped with a carbine length handguard that has an aluminum heat shielding inside, protecting your support hand from excessive heat.

These conversion kits have NEVER been fired or even pinned onto a lower receiver, so there are no marrs on the bolt face or the upper receiver.
Factory packed with manuals and all original items included.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/hound46/d9fcea12aa701e5f52950e554bfa81d5_zpsanf7qyic.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/hound46/9cb04e74bace57b96a3db9f8ac6dd31b_zpswxjhiy4r.jpg
View Quote
Looks pretty much like the one that I posted above, though that seller said it was a pull from a complete 6933 carbine. Maybe the box belongs to whatever upper he bought to replace it.

Site sponsor ArmsUnlimited has the LE6933CK kit available for $620 shipped. They only show one pic and it doesn't have the details that Apex shows, but it looks to be the same.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-11-5-inch-Commando-Upper-Receiver-Assembly-p/le6933ck.htm

Apex has a good picture of the end of the barrel and the FSB. If I had to guess, I'd guess that step down just past the FSB is about .125". Colt is probably doing the .750" journal so they don't have to source .625" sight bases.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Looks pretty much like the one that I posted above, though that seller said it was a pull from a complete 6933 carbine. Maybe the box belongs to whatever upper he bought to replace it.

Site sponsor ArmsUnlimited has the LE6933CK kit available for $620 shipped. They only show one pic and it doesn't have the details that Apex shows, but it looks to be the same.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-11-5-inch-Commando-Upper-Receiver-Assembly-p/le6933ck.htm

Apex has a good picture of the end of the barrel and the FSB. If I had to guess, I'd guess that step down just past the FSB is about .125". Colt is probably doing the .750" journal so they don't have to source .625" sight bases.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x800/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/4/24jun16_6933ck_mid06.jpg
View Quote
The box was just on the website associated with what looked like a similar front sight base and barrel profile.  I should have by the end of the week and date maybe and measurements for sure will be clarified.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone k now how much APEX wanted for there 6933 upper assembly?
Ther wed site shows sold out

Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Botach has them for $799

Colt LE6933 11.5 Complete Upper
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I justified starting this thread from a progression of the colt commando perspective.  I appreciate everyone's help with information.  I'll end it with a report and pictures.  Retro included.

The upper arrived just as described.  Under the M4 handguards was Colt's number "13629". No date I could find.  A W or M on the chamber end top of barrel.  Barrel has a lightweight contour just like I was wanting.  The receiver is marked "C" with a square forge code.  That just happens to match the carry handle forge code I got from stag on an SBR upper.

I'm glad I researched with your help.  I was going to cut down a pencil barrel and build an upper.  This route was probably cheaper and I've got a legit colt commando upper.  Almost forgot...I replaced the M4 handguards with skinny 6 hole colts.  The stock is MandA.  My new favorite carbine.  Retro feel to it.  The removable carry handle is out of place on an early commando, but OK for my needs.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top