Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2004 6:25:47 AM EDT
I have been reading a few threads here the past few days where it has been said Colt does not chrome line their barrels, only the chamber. How long has this been going on? I have a 1990 mfr. Colt HBAR and a pre-94 mfr. Colt Gov't. Carbine and I have always assumed both chamber and bore were chromed. Am I correct?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#1]
tagged, mine is from 1999 and I have always wondered the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the barrel.  All 'Govt Type' barrels are fully chrome lined.

Starting in the late 1990s Colt stoped chroming the bores of some of their civilian line.

So SPTiger  you're in the clear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the model 6400  carbine is cahmber and bore but I think the match target rifles they have now is just chamber.My first AR was a blue label HBAR 6601 that had bore and chamber chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a comparison chart floating around here that says something to the effect that Colt quit chrome lining the bores of the HBARs sometime in the mid '90s.  There is no hard and fast cutoff point as to when this happened, so there will obviously be many exceptions to this "rule".
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone have a pic of what chrome looks like from the muzzle end?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a pic of what chrome looks like from the muzzle end?

Sorry no pic, but it's easy enough to figure out for yourself. Pull the suppressor if it has one, wipe the edge of the barrel with a cleaning patch soaked w/bore cleaner, and then with a dry patch. If it's chrome lined, you'll see a dull silver ring around the edge of the muzzle, the same color as the ring around the edge of the chamber.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top