Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 10:23:57 AM EDT
Colt Sporter AR-15 .223

Went by the local pawn shop and inquired about the stock. The guy brought out a Colt Sporter AR-15 with 3 magazines and it's supposed to come with a metal case. He also said it's got over 1K of work done inside. Price tag on it was $1399 but he'd take $800 + tax

The only mod I recognized on the outside was the carry handle. But I'm a total NOOB.
Sounds like a great deal to me but how sound of a purchase is it from a pawn shop?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:27:36 AM EDT
$1000 of work inside?

It must have a solid gold bolt carrier.

Sounds shady, but then again pawn shops usually are.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:38:27 AM EDT
Ok, even without the 1K of work. What do you think of the price?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:42:17 AM EDT
First off your pawn broker is FOS..If it is a Colt and you can buy it for 800 do so..If you can't afford it IM so I can buy it..
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:53:09 AM EDT
I'm going to go back up and take another look at it. Anything I should look for?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:03:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ftwm:
$1000 of work inside?

It must have a solid gold bolt carrier.

Sounds shady, but then again pawn shops usually are.

A gigantic +1 on this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:20:33 AM EDT
Took another look at it. I saw no signs of it even being shot, but I'm a noob. BTW it comes with 5 mags.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:40:41 AM EDT
Buy it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:46:38 AM EDT
The upper will have Clot on it but you need tolook at the barrel for markings
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:54:11 AM EDT
Got the serial # CH011617
If I read that right its pre-ban rifle
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:55:29 AM EDT
Call this number and they will tell you over the phone.

(800) 962-2658
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:05:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ftwm:
Call this number and they will tell you over the phone.

(800) 962-2658

Thanks, they must be busy.

Here's site I used.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:17:42 PM EDT
Manufactured in 1993 Pre ban.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/30/2009 3:53:10 PM EDT by Headnsouth]
What does the Pre ban do for me? I've seen many ads proclaiming its a pre ban rifle.
is it anything like Corinthian leather? :D
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:01:08 PM EDT
If Georgia is anything like Michigan right now you can bet that there are at least 50 guys in your town that would love to grab a "Colt AR-15A2 HBAR" for $800.  To boot it has "no signs of it even being shot" and has 5 mags.  

Bet it don't sit long if you didn't pick it up yet.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:57:25 PM EDT
I am pretty close by to you, let me know where this rifle is located and I will go buy and take a look at it for you.  You know...just to look after your interests brother  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:05:17 PM EDT
OK OK I can take a hint.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:08:47 PM EDT
probably doesnt have a push style pin front takedown pin
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:18:24 PM EDT
About the only thing " preban" would do for you now is if the Libs renewed the assault weapons ban and made it retroactive to the 2004 expiration of the old ban, you would still have a legal rifle.     Those late preban Colts were rather strange animals that were an attempt to make a more politically correct assault rifle.   The rifle probably doesn't have a bayonet lug and will have some mods to the lower to make it harder for someone to convert it to full auto, such as larger trigger and hammer pins and an unmachined area where an autosear would go.   Still with the current market $800 is a hell of a price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:48:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wild_Man:
About the only thing " preban" would do for you now is if the Libs renewed the assault weapons ban and made it retroactive to the 2004 expiration of the old ban, you would still have a legal rifle.     Those late preban Colts were rather strange animals that were an attempt to make a more politically correct assault rifle.   The rifle probably doesn't have a bayonet lug and will have some mods to the lower to make it harder for someone to convert it to full auto, such as larger trigger and hammer pins and an unmachined area where an autosear would go.   Still with the current market $800 is a hell of a price.

Thanks for the great info.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:19:51 AM EDT
If your new Colt () has a large takedown screw instead of a pushpin I have an adapter that will convert it to pushpin-so you can get rid of that damned screw. I'd be happy to donate one to a new Colt owner

If you want it just shoot me an e-mail or instant message.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 7:34:28 AM EDT by 69cutlass]
I purchased this one from a former military guy who bought a 6520 and had a amourer friend at Camp Legune convert it with colt barrel, colt stock set ––basically to make a clone of his issue rifle.

I paid 460 cash and traded 1500 rds of privi partisian 5.556 ammo. ––-so guess it was around 1100 bucks or so, I felt pretty good about it and its my first full lenght service type rifle ––pretty darn nice.

800 sounds like a good deal if its all colt to me

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:07:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 8:29:25 AM EDT by negative1]
About 3 weeks ago I did a trade for a NIB. Bushmaster A3 20" HBAR.  It had just been delivered to the dealer about an hour before I got there.

I gave the dealer a Russian SKS, a Chinese SKS, and $100 for the Bushmaster!

I almost felt dirty.  

That's the only good deal that I have had in an AR lately.

The Colt is at a good price.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:13:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:
If your new Colt () has a large takedown screw instead of a pushpin I have an adapter that will convert it to pushpin-so you can get rid of that damned screw. I'd be happy to donate one to a new Colt owner

If I knew what that was I'd look for it. As soon as I get the rifle I'll figure out what it is and get back to you. Thx urock!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:14:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 69cutlass:
I purchased this one from a former military guy who bought a 6520 and had a amourer friend at Camp Legune convert it with colt barrel, colt stock set ––basically to make a clone of his issue rifle.

I paid 460 cash and traded 1500 rds of privi partisian 5.556 ammo. ––-so guess it was around 1100 bucks or so, I felt pretty good about it and its my first full lenght service type rifle ––pretty darn nice.

800 sounds like a good deal if its all colt to me

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/bucknailer63/gunpics049.jpg

The one I'm looking at looks identical to yours. The innerds who knows?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:15:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By negative1:
About 3 weeks ago I did a trade for a NIB. Bushmaster A3 20" HBAR.  It had just been delivered to the dealer about an hour before I got there.

I gave the dealer a Russian SKS, a Chinese SKS, and $100 for the Bushmaster!

I almost felt dirty.  

That's the only good deal that I have had in an AR lately.

The Colt is at a good price.

Almost?
for what about 5 minutes?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT by Headnsouth]
$848 out the door.
This rifle must have sat in closet for years, very little wear if any.  
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7713/ar1500resize.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9573/ar1503resize.jpg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:51:40 PM EDT
You SCORED.  I have one that looks just like that in the safe that I bought in 1994.  Mine is a true A2, no detatchable carry handle.  If yours is supposed to be an A2 I would be suspect that the upper is not Colt.  I am no expert on Colt and my memory does not go back 15 years if Colt made the Sporter HBAR with a detatchable carry handle.  They may have and called it a flat top I think.  You should call Colt and have them check the S/N and see exactly what it was when it left their factory.  Also check to see if the barrel is a 1:7 twist.  For current market conditions you did well, especially with the mags.  Now go shoot it and give us an AAR from the range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:20:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tbougie1:
The upper will have Clot on it but you need tolook at the barrel for markings

the barrel says CMP 5.56 NATO1/9HBAR
Can't find any markings on the upper.  I did find a cleaning kit in the butt. :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:27:00 PM EDT
You may have picked up this:

R6701             Sporter Competition HBAR (Special limited edition production run) A2/S-1/Flattop/FA/Deflector/ 20 in./HBAR/1:9/Ribbed Handguards/No Bayo Lug/A2 FH

It's listed here:

Colt Variants

The CH serial number is consistent here:

Big Hammer

Even if it's not, it's a nice rifle!
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:31:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 1:38:49 PM EDT by Headnsouth]
Originally Posted By ar556223:
probably doesnt have a push style pin front takedown pin

I'm assuming this is the front take down pin?
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3508/ar1506resizeo.jpg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:34:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 1:37:49 PM EDT by Headnsouth]
Thanks I'll check those sites. Here's another pic of the innerds. I forgot to mention it also came with a metal case. No great shakes but a case none the less. :)
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7505/ar1505resize.jpg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:41:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 1:42:30 PM EDT by Headnsouth]
Originally Posted By RLR350:
You may have picked up this:

R6701             Sporter Competition HBAR (Special limited edition production run) A2/S-1/Flattop/FA/Deflector/ 20 in./HBAR/1:9/Ribbed Handguards/No Bayo Lug/A2 FH

It's listed here:

Colt Variants

The CH serial number is consistent here:

Big Hammer

Even if it's not, it's a nice rifle!

I guess the only way to know for sure is ask Colt?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:52:23 PM EDT
Looks like a great score!

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:52:41 PM EDT
Are you trying to figure out if the upper was original?  If so you are looking pretty good up to this point.

Did you take the bolt carrier group out?  Also, what are the markings on the right side of the upper receiver?

The bolt carrier should have a "C" on the left side and the bolt will have MP or MPC.  The bolt will most likely have some short diagonal lines behind the lugs.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:03:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RLR350:
Are you trying to figure out if the upper was original?  If so you are looking pretty good up to this point.

Did you take the bolt carrier group out?  Also, what are the markings on the right side of the upper receiver?

The bolt carrier should have a "C" on the left side and the bolt will have MP or MPC.  The bolt will most likely have some short diagonal lines behind the lugs.

You're speaking Greek to me being this is the first time I've really held an AR15. But I'm learning as I go. Actually I'm very surprised how easy it comes apart.

Yes, the bolt carrier has a C and the bolt has MPC.  I need to find a manual on this rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 7:11:09 PM EDT by tnw50cal]
That's a colt model 6700 competition HBAR––it says so on the left side of the lower receiver right?  Upper should have a C with a stylized AF after it on the right side above the forward assist. The barrel is not chrome lined. Still a great rifle at one hell of a good price, I own one too. Congrats.
OH,in your picture that' the rear take down pin––- not the front.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:13:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Headnsouth:
$848 out the door.
This rifle must have sat in closet for years, very little wear if any.  
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7713/ar1500resize.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9573/ar1503resize.jpg

Big time score. Competition HBAR, I had one that was much used with 2 factory 20s that I sold in December for $1200.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:22:29 PM EDT
I think you got a great deal since I just sold my match HBAR for $1500. I didn't even have it for sale, I was talked into selling it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:20:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tnw50cal:
That's a colt model 6700 competition HBAR––it says so on the left side of the lower receiver right?  Upper should have a C with a stylized AF after it on the right side above the forward assist. The barrel is not chrome lined. Still a great rifle at one hell of a good price, I own one too. Congrats.
OH,in your picture that' the rear take down pin––- not the front.

I can't find a model # anywhere. 10-4 on the take down pin. The front is a screw.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6492/ar1507resize.jpg
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:48:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2009 5:49:41 AM EDT by Swatter911]
Good catch Headnsouth!  Welcome to BRD (Black Rifle Disease).  There is no cure.  Here is a link to the owners manual with maintenance instructions:  -10 Manual.  Read up on that fine weapon and learn how to take care of it.  I think you really lucked out with your find, so make sure you treat her well and have fun shooting her!

BTW, welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:54:47 AM EDT
You did great and it is a good thing the pawn broker did not know what he had or that would have been around $1500+. The guy who pawned it must have really got screwed becuase the pawn shop always makes money.  Welcome to the world of AR's. The Colt will only go up in value.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:04:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Swatter911:
Good catch Headnsouth!  Welcome to BRD (Black Rifle Disease).  There is no cure.  Here is a link to the owners manual with maintenance instructions:  -10 Manual.  Read up on that fine weapon and learn how to take care of it.  I think you really lucked out with your find, so make sure you treat her well and have fun shooting her!

BTW, welcome to the site!

Thanks Swatter, I was looking for the manual. :) Everyone has been very helpful on this site. I appreciate spoon feeding. :D
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:11:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

The rear take is a pin and the front is a screw. Which are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 7:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2009 8:04:03 PM EDT by tnw50cal]
I should have said that the model number(6700) is not stamped on the receiver,only Competition HBAR is. You can buy factoy Colt front push pin,detent and detent spring from SAW for about $28.00 shipped,and convert the screw pin that holds the upper and lower receivers together at the front to a push pin like the one in the back. I did it's easy. (you don't need any adapter)  Colt made the Model 6700 from 1992 to 1994. They made 19,500 of them. Again,you got a great rifle at a super price. If you click on Industry on this forum, then Colt there is more about it and on some of the topics is a link to SAW––-buy a black extractor spring insert(from SAW since you're paying for shipping anyway) while you,re at it and put that in too. I have the 1992 Colt catalog and I'm going to try to Email the page listing the Model 6700.
Ok, I tried the email thing through the site and I can't attach the file, so email me at GNewkirk1@aol.com and I'll send the picture regular email.
And the guy above that said $1500.00––-that's what I paid for mine NIB not long ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2009 5:30:25 AM EDT by Going4Broke]
Very nice. . . . I wish I could steal without going to jail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:31:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tnw50cal:
I should have said that the model number(6700) is not stamped on the receiver,only Competition HBAR is. You can buy factoy Colt front push pin,detent and detent spring from SAW for about $28.00 shipped,and convert the screw pin that holds the upper and lower receivers together at the front to a push pin like the one in the back. I did it's easy. (you don't need any adapter)  Colt made the Model 6700 from 1992 to 1994. They made 19,500 of them. Again,you got a great rifle at a super price. If you click on Industry on this forum, then Colt there is more about it and on some of the topics is a link to SAW––-buy a black extractor spring insert(from SAW since you're paying for shipping anyway) while you,re at it and put that in too. I have the 1992 Colt catalog and I'm going to try to Email the page listing the Model 6700.
Ok, I tried the email thing through the site and I can't attach the file, so email me at GNewkirk1@aol.com and I'll send the picture regular email.
And the guy above that said $1500.00––-that's what I paid for mine NIB not long ago.

Thanks for the great info. :) Again this forum is fantastic and the members are the best. UROCK!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:39:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Going4Broke:
Very nice. . . . I wish I could steal without going to jail.

LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:52:10 AM EDT
Hey man great buy !!!  I have a Colt AR15A2 HBAR since 1986 ...  It's my favorite.... Paid about $600 NIB back then.... Listen... Go to the maintenance section and read the stickies at the top about maintenance on these rifles. It will help you out alot. From cleaning it properly and also to lubing it  correctly . There's a wide variety of good lubes and CLP's....  A very good basic is Breakfree. I use the aresol can to clean with and the  Breakfree LP ( or CLP )  in the squeeze bottle to lube with... Everybody's got there own way. I was taught  Military way and then modified it once I became a civilian....  I don't white glove clean anymore. But I still clean good. There is a difference....   I can detail clean for an hour. I can regular clean in 15 minuets. I can SHTF clean it in 3-5 minuets and it will run as long as if I took an hour, and be as reliable. Just got to know the system and what it takes to keep her happy.  Great job , my fellow Ga boy.....

PS.. I use a OTIS pull through kit for my  cleaning. I would get a pull through or a coated one piece rod, for your nice rifle and use the buttstock kit in an emergency / field usage when it's all you got.   Also since yours seems to be NOT chromed lined , I would keep a very light coat of oil in your barrel and chamber while in storage and not being used... Just dry patch it BEFORE you  go shooting.  One of the several down falls to the early M16 in Vietnam was the unchromed barrels. In the wet conditions and lack of knowledge  and cleaning kits on the rifle and how to clean it , they would rust up and help cause stoppages.... Not that you should have that problem... JUST for your own info deal.... Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 5:55:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
Hey man great buy !!!  I have a Colt AR15A2 HBAR since 1986 ...  It's my favorite.... Paid about $600 NIB back then.... Listen... Go to the maintenance section and read the stickies at the top about maintenance on these rifles. It will help you out alot. From cleaning it properly and also to lubing it  correctly . There's a wide variety of good lubes and CLP's....  A very good basic is Breakfree. I use the aresol can to clean with and the  Breakfree LP ( or CLP )  in the squeeze bottle to lube with... Everybody's got there own way. I was taught  Military way and then modified it once I became a civilian....  I don't white glove clean anymore. But I still clean good. There is a difference....   I can detail clean for an hour. I can regular clean in 15 minuets. I can SHTF clean it in 3-5 minuets and it will run as long as if I took an hour, and be as reliable. Just got to know the system and what it takes to keep her happy.  Great job , my fellow Ga boy.....

PS.. I use a OTIS pull through kit for my  cleaning. I would get a pull through or a coated one piece rod, for your nice rifle and use the buttstock kit in an emergency / field usage when it's all you got.   Also since yours seems to be NOT chromed lined , I would keep a very light coat of oil in your barrel and chamber while in storage and not being used... Just dry patch it BEFORE you  go shooting.  One of the several down falls to the early M16 in Vietnam was the unchromed barrels. In the wet conditions and lack of knowledge  and cleaning kits on the rifle and how to clean it , they would rust up and help cause stoppages.... Not that you should have that problem... JUST for your own info deal.... Cheers WarDawg

Again, great info. Thx!
Top Top