Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/29/2004 2:30:11 PM EST
All,

I spoke to someone offering a Green Label A2 AR-15 colt rifle for sale and claiming that Colt ran an advertisement in Shotgun News stating that they will stop production of the AR-15 after 2005 due to poor sales and stiff competion from Bushmaster (and something of the like).

I e-mailed Annie Gardiner of Shotgun News. Rob Walker of Shotgun News responded that they have no record of Colt purchasing Ad space in Shotgun news in 2004. Now obviously, the gentlemen who made this claim was trying to motivate me to buy this A2 with the expectation of limited supply.

>>My records indicate that Colt Firearms has not advertised in Shotgun News in the '04 calendar year. I suggest you try www.ar15.com those guys seem to know all the rumors and their validity.<<

>>The Colt website has AR rifles for sale in six different configurations. <<

I called Colt Firearms on thier 800 number and got the run around.

Perhaps I can stop here. But I ask the AR15.Com on-line community is Colt Firearms still going to manufacture and sell their AR-15 products in and past 2005?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:51:43 PM EST
I hope they do that way when the military contracts run out the company will fold quicker
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:02:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By Crapht:
All,

I spoke to someone offering a Green Label A2 AR-15 colt rifle for sale and claiming that Colt ran an advertisement in Shotgun News stating that they will stop production of the AR-15 after 2005 due to poor sales and stiff competion from Bushmaster (and something of the like).

I e-mailed Annie Gardiner of Shotgun News. Rob Walker of Shotgun News responded that they have no record of Colt purchasing Ad space in Shotgun news in 2004. Now obviously, the gentlemen who made this claim was trying to motivate me to buy this A2 with the expectation of limited supply.

>>My records indicate that Colt Firearms has not advertised in Shotgun News in the '04 calendar year. I suggest you try www.ar15.com those guys seem to know all the rumors and their validity.<<

>>The Colt website has AR rifles for sale in six different configurations. <<

I called Colt Firearms on thier 800 number and got the run around.

Perhaps I can stop here. But I ask the AR15.Com on-line community is Colt Firearms still going to manufacture and sell their AR-15 products in and past 2005?

You're going to get alot of varied answers, but unfortunately nobody knows and most of the replies will be speculation, although they will be presented as gospel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:04:31 PM EST
f*ck colt

go bushy, they are on OUR side
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:10:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Freakzilla:
f*ck colt

Ditto !
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:21:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:21:42 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:26:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By BallisticTip:

f*ck colt

Ditto !

What they said ^^^^
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:30:39 PM EST
Didn't take long for the Keystone Cops to show up...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:40:27 PM EST
Colt RULES!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:53:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:56:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 4:02:06 PM EST by Darkest2000]

f*ck colt

STFU already.

Not trying to defend Colt, but some ppl just have to seek every goddamn chance they find to bash Colt, it's getting to the point where it's irritating. plus the response is irrevelent to the original topic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:04:30 PM EST
for as much as im pissed at colt myself ( have 2 colt, 2 bushmaster) i would rather colt NOT go out of business.

the loss of another company in America is bad and the loss of another GUN company in America would be worse.

i would really like to see that USMC Colonel or General (retired) do SOMETHING to get them back on track.

are colts pricier than the others? yes. are they better than the others? thats open to debate. ive never had a problem with mine.

if colt got their act together and started to market their wares the way the revitalized s&w has or the way rock river has, i would probably buy another.

wishing them a fast demise is in my opinion the wrong way to go...

david
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:12:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By ltdave:
for as much as im pissed at colt myself ( have 2 colt, 2 bushmaster) i would rather colt NOT go out of business.

the loss of another company in America is bad and the loss of another GUN company in America would be worse.

i would really like to see that USMC Colonel or General (retired) do SOMETHING to get them back on track.

are colts pricier than the others? yes. are they better than the others? thats open to debate. ive never had a problem with mine.

if colt got their act together and started to market their wares the way the revitalized s&w has or the way rock river has, i would probably buy another.

wishing them a fast demise is in my opinion the wrong way to go...

david

+1
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:25:51 PM EST
Screw colt!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:27:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 4:30:21 PM EST by El_Roto]
I agree, this guy is pumping you for extra dough. See what he says when you confront him with the fact that the Shotgun News can't back up his story and watch what he does to wiggle out of that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:34:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By M4Kid:
Colt RULES!

Darn tootin'!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:36:15 PM EST

Colt RULES!

Colt believes you should not own one of thier ARs, How can you say they rule?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:39:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By POOR_MAN:

Colt RULES!

Colt believes you should not own one of thier ARs, How can you say they rule?

Since you live in Texas, I'm assuming that you don't work for Colt so how would you know what they believe? Sounds like another one added to the herd to me...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:42:47 PM EST
Why shouldnt we wish them a fast demise they are not team players as they like to SUE other gun manufacturers,so I dont want colt to go away mad I just want them to go away.I agree that any demise of a gun company cant be good for the industry over all but when one company starts suing other companies they certainly dont care about the company they are going after.Its like these guys who build custom choppers,they compete against eachother but they are bikers weather you are competition or not theyll help you if you need it.If your bike dont start they will help you start it because thats what it means to be a biker.The same goes for shooting I dont know how many times that I gave away a part at the range if I had it or a tool to help fix a problem because we as shooters should be close knit.Its like on this board even if I dont agree with another member or sometimes we slam eachother and things get a little nasty I would still help if we were shooting side by side and you needed something from me to get your gun going again....colt dosent see things this way wich is evident by them always suing other gun makers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:55:29 PM EST
If true , I'll keep a couple boxes of these around just for out good friend Bradd_D. Don't worry Bradd, we'll help you thru this crisis.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:57:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:59:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By G-CODE:
If true , I'll keep a couple boxes of these around just for out good friend Bradd_D. Don't worry Bradd, we'll help you thru this crisis.

www.illustration.com.au/package/images/tissues.jpg

I think some of the Bushmaster pundits need it more than me. That's where all the tears are coming from. Ironically, people are upset with a company that they claim they wouldn't buy a gun from anyway. Hmmm...reminds me of some of the women I have dated. They just bitch to be heard.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:01:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Originally Posted By model927:
Why shouldnt we wish them a fast demise they are not team players as they like to SUE other gun manufacturers,so I dont want colt to go away mad I just want them to go away.I agree that any demise of a gun company cant be good for the industry over all but when one company starts suing other companies they certainly dont care about the company they are going after.Its like these guys who build custom choppers,they compete against eachother but they are bikers weather you are competition or not theyll help you if you need it.If your bike dont start they will help you start it because thats what it means to be a biker.The same goes for shooting I dont know how many times that I gave away a part at the range if I had it or a tool to help fix a problem because we as shooters should be close knit.Its like on this board even if I dont agree with another member or sometimes we slam eachother and things get a little nasty I would still help if we were shooting side by side and you needed something from me to get your gun going again....colt dosent see things this way wich is evident by them always suing other gun makers.

WTF are you talking about? If a company stole my design I would file a law suit as well.

That's a rhetorical question. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:04:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:12:46 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 5:14:16 PM EST by G-CODE]

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

I think some of the Bushmaster pundits need it more than me. That's where all the tears are coming from. Ironically, people are upset with a company that they claim they wouldn't buy a gun from anyway. Hmmm...reminds me of some of the women I have dated. They just bitch to be heard.

Bradd, I'm a Colt fan. You're a Colt extremist. There's a difference
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:14:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

Bradd, I'm a Colt fan. You're a Colt extremist. There's a difference

My mom always said I should be good at something.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:19:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:02:54 AM EST
I hope colt is not going away. I love my pony gun, even if I couldn't get a bonet lug, or a flash hider when I bought it. (damn that clinton)
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:32:10 AM EST
Id rather experiance the enjoyment of building my own weapon then buying a Colt. Some people are hard core Colt followers and thats fine, but to me its just a name. They dont support gun owners like many of the other manufactuers. the wont sell individual parts unlike other manufactureres and the are over-priced unlike the others. I built both of my rifles with my own two hands for the same price i would have had to spend to get a Colt.

Its just a name( and inflated price) , nothin else!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:58:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:50:50 PM EST
It's what you use to keep your hat on your head. Bonet is another word for hat, right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:53:46 PM EST

I heard just today Sept 30,04 that Colt may go belly up. Rumor mill? Or fact?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:19:37 PM EST
To QCMGR its not a colt design.They didnt originaly design it so if what you say is true colt has a lot of suing to do as Bushmaster isnt the only company making ARs..steal the design colt hasnt had a fresh design since the singleaction peace maker WTF back at ya
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:26:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:28:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:30:11 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:37:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2004 7:51:58 PM EST by tintedtahoe]
Hmmmmm - my wife has a sister who's boyfriends mother has a friend who's daughters boyfriend knows a guy who is dating a girl who's mother said that Harley Davidson is going out of businnes.......yadda,yadda,yadda

Colt ain't going out of business. You guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:55:49 PM EST
Who gives a crap about Colt, but that dude was feeding you a SERIOUS line of BS. Yeah, I'm suuure Colt would take out an ad telling everyone they are going to stop making AR15s.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:09:14 PM EST
All of you guys who sit and bash Colt, Have never had a dealing with Colt. Those of you who sit and say they suck and they dont want our money, are wrong and way off base.

My advice to you is go and buy a Colt, or try a Colt, I'm sure a Colt owner would be more than happy to let you shoot their AR.
Or just give Colt a call, I am certian that you will be surprised at the level of service you will recieve, barring that you dont sit there and ask stupid questions.

All I can really say is Colt isnt going out of the AR business to the best of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:31:06 PM EST
Ah ha I get you.To dpmmm I have owned a colt my first AR was a late model blu label 6601 HBAR and at that time when I tried to get spare parts from the company there was no asking them for nothingand I found out the hard way the parts were larger diameter when my disconector went and I needed a replacement,they were no help,they just kept telling me "send it back we will fix it"and all I needed was a disconector as it would have been way expensive to ship it to them and then yhey quoted me with a mandatiry hour charge for labor $65 plus the part and shipping,shit all I needed was a $6 part.Thats why I hate colt because I have experienced them and their product.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:08:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:34:59 AM EST
From what I have heard Colt is having trouble keeping up with Military contracts. That is their bread and butter in the rifle market. As for Chrome lined barrels,I am told by an ex US Army sniper that CLBs are less accurate than the non CLB. I own 2 Green label Colts and have not had a problem with either except firing the old battle packs of S.African ammo.I will get another Colt and I may also get a Bushie or a RRA. They are all good rifles in their own right.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:28:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By QCMGR:

Originally Posted By model927:
Ah ha I get you.To dpmmm I have owned a colt my first AR was a late model blu label 6601 HBAR and at that time when I tried to get spare parts from the company there was no asking them for nothingand I found out the hard way the parts were larger diameter when my disconector went and I needed a replacement,they were no help,they just kept telling me "send it back we will fix it"and all I needed was a disconector as it would have been way expensive to ship it to them and then yhey quoted me with a mandatiry hour charge for labor $65 plus the part and shipping,shit all I needed was a $6 part.Thats why I hate colt because I have experienced them and their product.

Translation:

I concur. Dpmmn I owned a Blue Label 6061 HBAR. My issue is I once ordered parts from Colt and they would not or could not provide parts. When my disconnect failed I discovered Colt used non-standard parts. I requested a replacement and Colt’s answer was to send my complete rifle back. Due to the cost, this was not acceptable. I was disappointed they would not just send me a $6 part.

Nice. Sentences are our friends
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:44:01 AM EST
only colt cust svc experience i had was with a handgun. the service was MUCH better than the gun.

my 20" colt runs like a swiss watch.

the fsb is on straight.

the magwell is the right size.

and it's not purple.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:58:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By SNorman:

Nice. Sentences are our friends

anyone else find this funny?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:02:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2004 10:03:50 AM EST by BRONZ]
Go bushy, go PURPLE
Top Top