Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:32:16 AM EDT
Hi,

I just saw a second-hand Colt AR15A3 at a local gun shop. The shop owner told me it's a Commando with a shorter barrel (10.5"). The serial number is LBD001949. I'll be very grateful if someone can tell me more about this, like the type of the upper, lower, handguard, etc.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9567/coltar15a30rg.th.jpg

Regards from Finland

Tonttu
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#1]
u have a bigger pic ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Serial number places it as a Colt 6721, should have been made in about 1996.  We have a 6721 data base here:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=271173

I would guess it left the factory like this:

LBD 001949 gray finish, CAF upper forge code, carry handle forge code?, old style buttstock, modern M4 /nut/buffer/four position receiver extention, mag fenced lower, small pivot pin hole, weep hole not drilled, large trigger pins, SPORTER half round bolt carrier, blue extractor buffer, roll marked COLT'S MFG CO. INC, no pinned in sear block, LEO roll markings on right side, blue lable box, 16" barrel, peel washer for flash suppersor, no "T" numbers on top of receiver, barrel marked C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR

IF that short barrel is factory original it would be marked something like this under the handguards:

C MP CB 5.56 NATO 1/7
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like a 6933 to me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It sounds like a 6933 to me.

Does the 6933 have a LBD serial number prefix?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I was wrong on that Eric. I could not find anything on a 6721 with a 10.5 upper. The 6933 doesn't start with a DB it starts with a LE. Maybe they put a different upper on it or they had it cut down.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hi,

I just saw a second-hand Colt AR15A3 at a local gun shop. The shop owner told me it's a Commando with a shorter barrel (10.5"). The serial number is LBD001949. I'll be very grateful if someone can tell me more about this, like the type of the upper, lower, handguard, etc.

img215.imageshack.us/img215/9567/coltar15a30rg.th.jpg

Regards from Finland

Tonttu

Serial prefix puts it as a AR15 A3 Tatical carbine 6721

Specialized Armament has some of these

-------------------------------------------------
AR6721SP

MODEL AR6721, SPECIAL PURPOSE, .223 10in BBL 1/9 HBAR, ENTRY TEAM VERSION OF THE STANDARD AR6721

CLASS III

INDIVIDUAL OFFICER & AGENCY (WITHOUT FET) PRICING AVAILABLE

------------------------------------------------

Dont understand how one of them will have made their way to Finland so soon.
These have not been out too awfully long, Not even sure they would be on the Tactical Carbine lower.  (LBD) since they are class III I would think they would be just like the 6933's
May be a parts gun
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the AR6721SP an actual Colt product or a custom built variant created by SAW?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the AR6721SP an actual Colt product or a custom built variant created by SAW?

If I remember correctly, It is a factory bilt rifle
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi,

Thank you all very, very much!

I don't think I can find another one here in Finland. Have to bargain with the owner now. hank
Tonttu
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Are ARs hard to come by in Finland?

Simon
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi,

There are several importers in Finland and we get AR's from Bushmasters, Colt, Sabre, etc. Many (as in pratical shooting) have Bushmaster 16" or 20". But we hardly get all the models, especially LE models. Besides, permits for short barrel rifles are really hard to get. The importers only place orders once or twice a year. Nowadays exporting firearms (and parts as well as other equipments) from the States is complicated. So it takes ages to get one. Many popular models, like Bushmaster Modular Carbine, are sold out right away.

Tonttu
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I understand that exporting is really quite difficult and time consuming. Does it make any sense then to import complete weapons? Surely the way forward would be to import parts and conduct assembly in Finland.

I would imagine that it would be easier ( and possibly better) to buy in barrels from Sako-Tikka or Lothar-Walther  and building the guns to spec. Quite a few AR components are now being produced inside the EU, which are a lot less difficult to get to than US product.

I would imagine warranties are very difficult to maintain in the EU for US products......

A stack of raw forgings is a lot cheaper to hold than fisnished uppers.....

Simon
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Simon,

Even raw forgings require an export license from Dep't of State. It's f**ked up, but we'll have to play with their rules.

Yes, building from parts is the way to go over here.  Sadly, Sako doesn't manufacture chrome-lined barrels, so the only barrel I have from them is the one on my SPR. It shoots great though.  For my other builds I wouldn't touch anything other than US-made parts. In a pinch I could take Sabre parts, but Oberland Arms I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole.

Here are links to pics of what I have in my safe.
11.5" shorty RRA
14.5" Bushmaster M4 clone
18" SPR clone

An M16A2 clone will soon follow... Bushmaster 20" gov't profile, 1/7"....

To stay on topic: Tonttu, check out the barrel markings to see if it's really a Colt. It might be that the barrel has been swapped or perhaps butchered down from 11.5" or something. Also check the forging marks on the upper and carry handle. For that price it should better be the real deal...

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:51:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh yeah...I know that. But you don't have to buy from the US...... More importantly, forgings are cheaper than finished product which emans for the same number of Euros , you get more potential guns.

Lothar-Walther certainly have a chrome-lined as OEM.

If you're inetersted, I'll hook you up with some people doing really good parts in the Eurozone, primo grade shizzle.

Sorry about being OT...

Simon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top