Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:13:44 AM EDT
This question is for anyone who has removed a loctited Colt buffer tube from their lower. I've got an MT6601 that I'm trying to pull the tube off of. I've tried heating the loctite with a hair dryer (no heat gun),as well as with a basic flame from a lighter. I initially tried twisting using the grip to pivot the receiver (buffer is locked down),but I'm afraid that I'll mess up the threads where the grip screw goes into the lower. Now I'm using a 5/8" wrench for the flats on the end of the tube,and a piece of wood through the mag well as a lever to twist the receiver off of the tube. Still no luck as the wood keeps breaking. Has anyone used a propane torch (how much heat?) Any ideas for more leverage? Pipe wrenches (did it wreck the tube?) Strap wrenches?
There doesn't appear to be any staking. My top stock bolt used a red loctite,which I assume means that the buffer tube uses a similar threadlocker.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top