Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/21/2003 11:59:40 AM EDT
Has anyone tried this before?

In my search to make Uzi magazines a bit more reliable in the Colt System I'm thinking of getting a 32rd Colt spring from Wolff and testing it in a 25rd Uzi magazine in my RRA 9mm.

Of course I'll have to do some trimming or expect some decrease in mag capacity. I'd gladly opt for a super reliable magazine that holds only 20 rds than a 25rd unreliable one.

So far I can only put in 15 rounds for 100 percent reliability. Anything above that is a crap shoot.

Good Shooting
Red
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:43:09 PM EDT
It sounds like you're having a problem similar to mine. In my case the problem seems to be that while the UZI mag is in the gun as far as is possible, where the mag lips butt against the upper receiver, the feed ramp is still too high and I frequently get jams where the nose of the round is jammed above the chamber. I stoned a couple of shallow grooves into the feed ramp and it got better. The last 10-15 rounds seem to almost always feed just fine. I suspect that it's because the UZI mag is designed with feed lips that feed rounds at two different angles depending on where the follower is. When the mag is full rounds feed flatter, hence the grooves in the ramp. There is a pronounced difference in cyclic rate and ejection on full auto. The UZI mag runs unevenly and slowly. My Colt mag runs VERY smooth. We've all heard it but Colt and UZI mags [b]ARE NOT THE SAME[/b]. They are similar but do not have the same feed lips. The Colt mags (mine at least) feeds the rounds from a slightly more tipped up angle than when the UZI mag feeds them flat. Right now I'm debating between spending hours with a stone an file cutting the two grooves deeper or sending it to someone and doing my part to help the economy. I suspect that your problem has nothing to do with mag springs. Followers and lips maybe but not the spring.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:33:00 PM EDT
JED can you post pics of the grooves you are talking about? thankx Gary
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:25:04 PM EDT
I think Dave Hineline might have what what you are looking for. I looked at the HAHN block at Brownells, and I can see the a partial of the cut, but you may not know what to look for.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:31:27 PM EDT
I rely on the generosity of others for my digital pics for the time being. David Hineline has a pic that was the inspiration for my hack. Look at where the bullet nose would first touch the ramp, then draw a line up the ramp that the path of the bullet would follow. The groove should start out [b]maybe[/b] 4-6mm wide and taper to nothing by the time it gets halfway up the ramp. That's how I'm doing mine. David H's pics show something more severe.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:12:44 PM EDT
Just FWIW .... I spoke with the folks at Wolff Gun Springs this week and they said the 20% extra-power springs they make for the Colt 32-round 9mm mag work just fine in Uzi 32-rounders. They do not list them on the web site or label the packaging as such, but if you call 'em up to order Uzi mag springs, they will send you the Colt model.
Top Top