Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2016 10:16:21 AM EDT
Long time absence from here but have a real stumper… I have a factory Colt 9mm lower and factory upper. I bought a new "ramped" bolt as I could not find a .170" 9mm hammer. The ramped bolt as far as I understand allows the use of the standard AR hammer. Installed it yesterday and just working the action, the hammer does not reset if I keep my finer on the trigger and I get hammer follow. If I keep my finger off the trigger, the hammer resets… Any ideas on whats happening?  Perplexed and frustrated as I just spent $$$ on that new ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there such a thing as too much ramping on a bolt? Maybe thats whats going on…?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
yes there is such a thing

may also be an issue with your disconnector
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nvm
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried it on another lower. Same hammer follow… narrows down the disconnector issue I guess. Must be a bad bolt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Usually its an issues with the trigger and the hammer.  Some hamers dont get pushed down enough by the ramped carrier to reset it.  Try a different trigger.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you have a rounded hammer or a notched hammer?......this can/will happen with a notched hammer and a ramped bolt.....
View Quote

[b][/b]I have a standard Colt hammer, .170 hole size and cannot find a dedicated 9mm hammer which is why I went with the ramped bolt. I think the bolt may be "over ramped". The bolt does the same with a different lower so I am pretty confident its the bolt. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll update the solution.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

[b][/b]I have a standard Colt hammer, .170 hole size and cannot find a dedicated 9mm hammer which is why I went with the ramped bolt. I think the bolt may be "over ramped". The bolt does the same with a different lower so I am pretty confident its the bolt. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll update the solution.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
do you have a rounded hammer or a notched hammer?......this can/will happen with a notched hammer and a ramped bolt.....

[b]This is your solution --

The hammer you want is essentially a neutered M16 hammer,, it the missing material from top of Sporter hammer (notch) that bottom of 9mm cannot push hammer down far enough to hook disconnect finger to shelf on hammer..[/b]

[b]I trimmed tail off the hammer to reduce/eliminate the hammer tail from hitting disconnect, suspect the wedging of hammer is what cause pin breakage/hole egg.. I have not broke pins in the 13yr it been 9mm & 223[/b]

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Eureka!! This may be the issue. The .170 hammer I have has a FLAT front, not rounded. Its not a "9mm" hammer, but the flat front one.. not rounded like your picture. Now I need to find a rounded one in .170 pin size. Any ideas where to get one?
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eureka!! This may be the issue. The .170 hammer I have has a FLAT front, not rounded.....  Now I need to find a rounded one in .170 pin size. Any ideas where to get one?
View Quote

Get ahold of DPMS,, seems they may have carried a .170 hammer, and Bushmaster (Hartford Horsey)...

Got pic of offending hammer ??

Worst case, send me hammer, I have a tool-Die welder friend that could likely fill it in, then profile it..
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, there is a supplier.  I've ordered from them before.  I ordered such a hammer myself previously.

I am guessing you want this...
Hammer Assy (7A), Semi-Auto, Type I, 0.170

You may have this...

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the help. I may just order from Specialized Armament. I'll post the results when they happen. I forgot how to do pics but will get reacquainted with the process and post pics. Thanks again everyone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, there is a supplier.  I've ordered from them before.  I ordered such a hammer myself previously.

I am guessing you want this...
Hammer Assy (7A), Semi-Auto, Type I, 0.170
http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/products/sa21175.jpg

You may have this...
http://www.specializedarmament.com/images/products/sp63165.jpg
View Quote

This.... I just had the same problem with a Geissele S3G.... the hammer is just that much shorter, that It would not allow the reset to catch while holding the trigger back.

My .154 pinned lower was an easy fix with a ALG ACT.

So a hammer / trigger like the one RacyCarr has shown should work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey folks. Problem solved by the rounded hammer. Easy fix but hard on the wallet $$$$$$$. Ouch, $70.00 hammer!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top