Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 10:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 10:20:39 PM EDT by pieceofstink]
I was at my FFL's today checking out a Colt 9MM Carbine and some 32 round mags. My FFL was in Panama in1989-90 in the Army. He said during the assault/invasion there was a bunch of Marines who had Colt 9MM Machine Guns. The Marines were not any kind of a special operations unit as far as he could tell. Any info on this?? What kind of Marine unit would dump their rifles and go with a sub machine gun?? Was it a test? Just wondering. An interesting tidbit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:48:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pieceofstink:
I was at my FFL's today checking out a Colt 9MM Carbine and some 32 round mags. My FFL was in Panama in1989-90 in the Army. He said during the assault/invasion there was a bunch of Marines who had Colt 9MM Machine Guns. The Marines were not any kind of a special operations unit as far as he could tell. Any info on this?? What kind of Marine unit would dump their rifles and go with a sub machine gun?? Was it a test? Just wondering. An interesting tidbit.

BS meter is pegging .
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:03:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 3:06:36 AM EDT by Lumpy196]
At the time USMC Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team (FAST) units used the Colt 9mm subgun and there were several pics from the invasion showing them.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:07:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
At the time USMC Fleet Antiterrorism Security Team (FAST) units used the Colt 9mm subgun and there were several pics from the invasion showing them.

+1

There is an article about the FAST teams in the GunDigest Book of Assault Weapons, 3rd edition, with several pictures of the team with the Colt 9mm subgun in combat in Panama.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:09:19 AM EDT
I guess your BS meter is full of BS. Typical "asshat" response from one of the "regulars " on this site. If you can't contribute anything to the conversation except for negativity, then why don't you stay out of it?

To those who actually provided some good info, thanks. I have both Black Rifle and Black Rifle II, and neither text talks about the Marines using a 9MM Colt sub gun.

What year was that issue of Gun Digest put out??
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 7:23:42 AM EDT by Colt_SBR]

I was at my FFL's today checking out a Colt 9MM Carbine and some 32 round mags.

Are you going to get the 9mm?

I have one and love it. The price of 9mm Colt mags have been going down, slowly. If you get one, check the EE for more mags unless your dealer can give you a good price. I picked up three 20 rounders from the EE.

Thanks for the topic and thanks for the responders with the information.

Colt_SBR

Found this on www.specwarnet.com/americas/fast.htm

The USMC has seen fit to equip its FAST units with a wide array of weapons, and equipment to help them accomplish their mission. The FAST units arsenal is known to include M-16A2 rifles (some rifles have been fitted with sniper scopes for the units designated marksmen), M-16A2/M-203 40mm grenade launchers, Berretta M-9 9mm pistols (some with attached tactical lights), HK MP-5 9mm SMGs, Colt 9mm SMGs, Remington 870 shotguns, M-249 5.56mm Squad Automatic Weapons (SAWs), M-60 7.62mm GPMGs, Browning .50 Cal. HMGs, MK-19 40mm HMGs ( automatic grenade launchers), 60mm mortars, AT-4 88mm, and SMAW Anti -tank rockets.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:34:55 AM EDT

Exactly right.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:00:05 AM EDT
Yes-even though it goes against all that is rational to spend as much on a 9MM carbine as it would cost to get a .223 carbine, you just can't deny that the 9MM Colt is very cool. But since I already have a 6920, 6520, and a few different SP-1's, (CDNN Frankenguns-but all Colt) I think I'll get the 9MM. My dealer just got about 20 32 round mags from a guy who died and had them stashed. Brand new, and marked "Law Enforcement/Govt. Use Only" on them.

Out of curiosity: Does the Colt 9MM come new with the 20-rounders, or the 32-rounders? Or is it like the rifles, and can come with either?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:07:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GomerPyle:

Exactly right.
www.hunt101.com/img/309161.JPG

I remember that picture. I really like the 9mm AR set up I have and was scared away from the Colts due to the cost of the magazines. I really think the shorter barrel is the ticket on the 9mm ARs. The 16" look funny and I think that there has to be a point where you stop getting extra FPS out of 9mm barrels.

I wonder if the 9mm was a more viable option 16 years ago in Panama when body armor and the like was less wide-spread.

Spooky
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:10:12 AM EDT

Out of curiosity: Does the Colt 9MM come new with the 20-rounders, or the 32-rounders? Or is it like the rifles, and can come with either?

It could come with either.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:08:20 PM EDT

I guess your BS meter is full of BS. Typical "asshat" response from one of the "regulars " on this site. If you can't contribute anything to the conversation except for negativity, then why don't you stay out of it?

To those who actually provided some good info, thanks. I have both Black Rifle and Black Rifle II, and neither text talks about the Marines using a 9MM Colt sub gun.

I checked the book and can't find a date anywhere. It's got a red cover with a picture of an HK PDW on it, if that helps.

Here's my 9mm shorty, the more or less permenant home for my RDIAS.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:19:31 PM EDT

Tis what happens when one opines without proper research or experience...

LB
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 12:49:16 PM EDT

Chill out. Cut him some slack. He learned something new. That's what ARFCOM is all about
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:02:40 PM EDT
Not to hijack this thread but I just got back from Panama. We even went down a few wrong streets and ended up where the majority of the invasion actually happened. They still dislike Americans in that "zone". I hear that there is still bullet damage to some of the buildings. I've spent a lot of time down there but that was the first time I was in this section of town.

I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:14:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AWACER:
Not to hijack this thread but I just got back from Panama. We even went down a few wrong streets and ended up where the majority of the invasion actually happened. They still dislike Americans in that "zone". I hear that there is still bullet damage to some of the buildings. I've spent a lot of time down there but that was the first time I was in this section of town.

tinypic.com/9r37f8.jpg

I have more pics if anyone is interested.

flippin' post em' man what ya waitin' fur??
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:09:28 PM EDT
Neat, didn't know that.

Did any other parts of the US Military use this rifle?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:24:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 3:29:36 PM EDT by rpd5127]
I was in Panama for the invasion in December 1989.

I never saw any Marines with anything other than M-16's or M-60s.

I guess they got some new toys and kept them real close to the vest. Great for CQB, but not much else.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:25:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 3:34:07 PM EDT by model927]
To KODIAK-AK just another example of so little time here as a member but the mad dash to get the post count up.At least he could have admitted he was wrong.I have been there but at least I can concede that I dont know it all all the time.The Colt 9mm carbine is sweet every time I have seen it in military use its been with those Marine units.Not for nothing but the people still saying its crap....youve seen the above pictures I assume and I beleive there were pictures in soldier of fortune on this as well.You edited your response...must have saw the pictures.Damn all these newbies shooting first and asking questions later.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:06:36 PM EDT
The gunsmith that I used to use (he is retired) was also a Class III dealer and had some of the FA 9mm Colts, they were a blast to shoot, very controlable.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:37:06 PM EDT
My brother got a M16 and picked up a drop in 9mm mag block, along with a buncha mags, a while ago.

He dropped in the mag block and hasn't looked back. He only shoots the M16 with his 10.5" 9mm upper.

I've shot it and had to get a Colt 9mm carbine. So, I got the carbine.

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:53:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Colt_SBR:
My brother got a M16 and picked up a drop in 9mm mag block, along with a buncha mags, a while ago.

He dropped in the mag block and hasn't looked back. He only shoots the M16 with his 10.5" 9mm upper.

I've shot it and had to get a Colt 9mm carbine. So, I got the carbine.

I'm thinkin' about doing a silenced 9mm upper now that my M4 is almost done. I figure if I can't go full auto I might as well go short and quiet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:57:39 PM EDT
Wow . You find a thread on page three with no responses and post what you think and the SHTF while you are at work cause ya think something sounds like typical gunshop comando BS .

And Variablebinary , Thanx for the benifit of the doubt . I did learn a few things on this thread 1 I learned USMC FAST did use 9mm Colt sub guns in Panama , AND I learned whose threads not to bother with .

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:12:27 PM EDT
Didn’t know that the FAST teams used those guns.

Way cool.

I don’t know how effective the 9mm arf is in combat, but on the range, it sure is a blast. One of my favorites. Not to turn this thread into gun pRon, but I’ve had my little 9mm SBRed arf for several years now and think it’s one of the most fun little carbines out there.

If you have the ability, I’d highly recommend it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:
I'm thinkin' about doing a silenced 9mm upper now that my M4 is almost done. I figure if I can't go full auto I might as well go short and quiet.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:32:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rabbit9:

www.hunt101.com/img/309749.jpg

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

What can is that? Who's is it? How well does it work?

I'm thinking I might like to go integrally silenced, or like the one Henry from Title 2 posted on page 8 in the Pistol Cal pic thread (5 inch barrel with a 3 lug suppressor).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:07:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:09:06 PM EDT by Rabbit9]

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

What can is that? Who's is it? How well does it work?

SWR Omega.

VERY Well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:58:57 PM EDT
My 9mm colt came with 2 32 round mags. Got several others from SAW le sales, bit pricy BUT after blasting who knows how many mags. I have yet to have a malfunction.
Top Top