Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2012 6:21:38 AM EDT
Does anyone else find the fit and finish on the new 6920s lacking? I just picked a new one up from my FFL yesterday and it seems really inferior to my old Colt Match Target. I am hoping the fit can be improved with an accu-wedge (which the MT came with from the factory), but am already thinking about sending it out to get refinished. I tend to keep and shoot my guns forever, and don't mind if they get scratched or worn with use, but this just doesn't have a good feel to it. Thoughts?

Also, any suggestions on a durable finish and vendor for refinishing? Apologize in advance if this has been discussed in another thread - I'll use the search function next.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been looking at buying one from my local dealer.....it is one of the magpul models....The anodizing on it seems very thin, im sure it will wear fast, but i guess it doesnt matter
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought colt's were not reknown for their fit and finish?
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#3]
None of those things will have any impact on the function of the rifle.  You have a great carbine.  Skip the acuwedge and get out and shoot your new rifle!
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 6:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought colt's were not reknown for their fit and finish?

Not entirely. lol

Overall quality? Yes.  But with fit/finish, they're kinda hit and miss.  Back when my family had the gun shop, we would only get in 6-8 of them at a time, but there would always be one or two where the finish basically looked like shit.   Most looked pretty good, but not all.

I'm pretty picky about finish (one reason I own no Colts at this time), but I couldn't care less if the upper and lower has a little wobble.  Doesn't hurt the accuracy at all.  Plus, part of the beauty of the AR platform is being able to use different uppers on the same lower...you'll never get one lower to fit perfectly with multiple uppers, and I like the option of using multiple uppers, so I just ignore it.  

If it's really bad, you can throw an accu-wedge in, but those things are a big pain in the ass when you're trying to pop the takedown pin out.  I bought one and ended up throwing it away. lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not going to play kool-aid drinker and tell you hey, it's a Colt and they make guns that work under ridiculously hard conditions and the finish shouldn't matter...

If you want a 'pretty' AR with flawless finish inspect it carefully when you purchase, Colt AR's tend to be flawless in function but not always from a cosmetics standpoint.  If the finish is important to you wipe it down with an oiled cloth to inspect it when you take delivery, I own several Colt AR's with cosmetic imperfections but they all function perfectly and are used hard and show no indication that the cosmetic blemishes are creating any sort of issue.  

Before you start improving things shoot it and see if the Accu-wedge on the 6920 is really needed, I've always thought they were a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, 'slop' in the AR platform doesn't affect the rifle's accuracy, only the minds accuracy, but there's nothing wrong with a little OCD when it comes to your weapons...

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
None of those things will have any impact on the function of the rifle.  You have a great carbine.  Skip the acuwedge and get out and shoot your new rifle!

While your statements are entirely true it doesn't address the OP's question.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not going to play kool-aid drinker and tell you hey, it's a Colt and they make guns that work under ridiculously hard conditions and the finish shouldn't matter...

If you want a 'pretty' AR with flawless finish inspect it carefully when you purchase, Colt AR's tend to be flawless in function but not always from a cosmetics standpoint.  If the finish is important to you wipe it down with an oiled cloth to inspect it when you take delivery, I own several Colt AR's with cosmetic imperfections but they all function perfectly and are used hard and show no indication that the cosmetic blemishes are creating any sort of issue.  

Before you start improving things shoot it and see if the Accu-wedge on the 6920 is really needed, I've always thought they were a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, 'slop' in the AR platform doesn't affect the rifle's accuracy, only the minds accuracy, but there's nothing wrong with a little OCD when it comes to your weapons...

Yep, very simple solution...just look at it in person before you buy it. The "rougher" looking ones we got always went to someone who was gonna beat the hell out of it anyway...law enforcement, varmint hunters, etc. Sometimes we'd offer them a couple free magazines to take the ugly one and they'd jump on it.  For someone like that, it's a no brainer to take the free stuff when the rifle is gonna be beat up anyway.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Right before New Years the Colt Talo LE6920MP-B we'd ordered arrived at the FFL... now this Talo was for my Lady and she wanted 'perfect', we looked at 3 different LE6920's and took the most perfect one.  This is a crappy picture but you can see the shiny marks on the delta ring, the lower had flaws as well.  It was funny, my dealer also got in the SP6920 you see in this image and because it arrived with the old style M4 Gen II stock instead of the silly SuperStoc I bought it without more than glancing at it... The finish on this SP was perfect.  The Talo was completely degreased with brake cleaner, I touched up all the flaws with a Birchwood Casey Super Black pen and then completely wiped it down with CLP... all the flaws disappeared, but even a limited edition like the Talo LE had finish issues so it's not unheard of at all.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a new 6920. The finisj is really pretty darn nice. There is one little bump the side of a pinhead in the upper finish and the carry handle does have a thin look to the finish on the front . I was surprised how well matched a black the upper and lower are. My other colts have been grayish. Mine has minimal wiggle between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My le6920 finish was lacking at first. After lots of use and lots cleanings over time the finish now looks almost as nice as one of those shiny new larue pics.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. The more I look at it, the more I get used to it. My only point of reference was the older Colt, which was a lot nicer, and just wanted to make sure mine wasn't unique. Actually, the upper has a great finish. It's just the lower that seemed rough to me, but as others have mentioned, that would happen from a bit of use and cleaning anyway. I'm sure the fit difference is just due to the accu-wedge in the older Colt. I'll shoot it a while and see if it still bugs me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top