Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 5:30:32 PM EDT
I am interested in purchasing one of these and was wondering if some of the better informed members can share the differences and opinions on both.

The Colt would run a few hundred more and I am wondering if in performance and value if it worth it? I think the Colt is all mil-spec. and the major components MP tested. I am not sure about the Bushy. Which did you buy and why?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
AGNTSA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my bushy, never owned a colt, but you can't get any better then 100% reliability (my bushy)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Short version:
The Bushy is awesome, the Colt is slightly more awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Some hate Colt due to trigger pin sizes
Some hate Bushmaster because their receivers look purple.

I predict you will get a little of both crowd giving you useless answers.

Bottom line both are excellent duty weapons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Colt 6920 and used to have a bushy.  The bushy was not bad, but it is really tough to beat a 6920.  If you get the Colt 6920 you will not regret it.  I promise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Colt 6920 and used to have a bushy.  The bushy was not bad, but it is really tough to beat a 6920.  If you get the Colt 6920 you will not regret it.  I promise.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
sorry, i double tapped the submit/reply button
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You also will not regret getting a Bushmaster. I say you get which ever you can get a better price on, I have the exact same model of Bushamaster you looking at and it's never let me down, no matter how bad I abuse it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Get Both..

c'mon

--VT
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]
flip a coin  
heads get a colt
tails BM
pros cons IMO
parts for the BM are slightly easier to get  
colts fit and finish are better most of the time and gernally a "nicer gun" ,  but if a colt has bad finish it is really shitty , I would  want inspect a  new colt before i bought it

I would have no problems just ordering a new bushmaster sight unseen

either will probably last forever and give you good service

me im not biased aI have 2 BMs a colt and a RRA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Do what I did.  Get the Colt 6920.  Then, get a Bushy 20 inch later as well.  I mean, you HAVE to have a carbine and a rifle.  I've got an ACOG on the rifle for paper punching, and an EoTech on the Colt for a more self-defense oriented rifle.    

PS, I like both, but I can tell the slight quality difference in the Colt.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Topical thread HERE.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do what I did.  Get the Colt 6920.  Then, get a Bushy 20 inch later as well.  I mean, you HAVE to have a carbine and a rifle.  I've got an ACOG on the rifle for paper punching, and an EoTech on the Colt for a more self-defense oriented rifle.    

PS, I like both, but I can tell the slight quality difference in the Colt.  YMMV.

[/quot

Or do what I did, get the 20" Bushmaster first, then a Colt 6920. Both are great and 100% with all types of ammo especially Wolf. The finish is a little nicer on the Bushy if that means anything, but both are great weapons.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
The Colt is "worth" perhaps $25-$30 more in terms of the additional MP testing and other minor issues.

If you can find them at roughly equal prices, get the Colt every time - but I personally wouldn't pay even $100 more for a Colt.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I own both:

Top is the Patrolman Carbine, bottom is the LE6920:

In recent years I have noted that Bushmasters attention to detail and QC has dropped while their prices have steadily increased.  The last 5 bushmaster that I have purchaed (in the last 18 months) have ALL had to go back to the factory for one reason or another.

Bushmaster has also begun to get "shady" in their buisness practices.  A few weeks ago I placed an order for a barrel assembly and 4 tall front sight posts.  Both items were ordered at the same time.  At the time the website had the barrel for $225, they charged me $235 (said this was the new price), they didn't give me my 5% LEO discount, and they shipped the barrel in one package and charged me $18 shipping and shipped the 4 front sight posts (not the front sight tower, just the sight post) in a different package and charged me $9 shipping.  I could have put the 4 front sight posts in a very small padded envelope and shipped them for less than $1.  Both packages were shipped on the same day and arrived at my place the same day.

This isn't the first time I have Bushmaster do stuff like this.

When comparing the Patrolman's carbine to the 6920, I notice that the attention to detail on the 6920 is better, the upper to lower receiver fit on the 6920 is much better, finish is better (if that matters to you), the Colt has a 1/7" twist, the Colt has M4 feedramps, the Colt has a F marked front sight base, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The Colt is a much better gun in my opinion if you give each gun a close look.  That being said I purchased all 3 of my 6920's toward the end of the ban on Dept Letterhead for $954 each.  I don't know that I would be willing to pay the $1,400+ price tag that some dealers are wanting for the 6920.

A more enomocial choice would be the Stag Arms M4 carbine.  I have purchased 3 Stag Arms guns in the last 6 months and I'm EXTREEMLY impressed with them.

I wrote this 4 or 5 months ago for a friend who lives here in Colorado and had planned on getting a Colt LE6920 once he got back from Iraq:

I've got 3 Colt LE6920's and I paid around $950 each for plus $100 to have Ken Elmore at S.A.W. do his reliablity upgrade on a each gun.

CMT is Contentinal Machine and Tool (not to be confused with LMT Lewis Machine and Tool). CMT and Stag Arms are the SAME COMPANY. CMT / Stag is the sub-contractor who makes Colt's uppers, lowers, etc, and they also make the same parts for Rock River Arms.

I had heard a lot of good things about CMT / Stag and have had the chance to check out quite a few of their guns recently. I am very impressed with the fit, finish, qulaity, and features on the Stag Arms guns.

When comparing my Colt LE6920's to factory Stag Arms M4's here are the only difference I noted:

-Stag has a 1/9" twist barrel, the Colt a 1/7" (but both have the Colt M4 feed ramps). Barrel twist is a non issue as most of us shoot 55 grain to 62 grain ammo 99% of the time.

-The Stag finish was about 1 shade darker, you had to look had at both and be in direct sunlight to tell the difference.

-The Stag has a Colt mil-spec buffer tube, but has 6 positions instead of the 4 on the Colt buffer tube....Because Stag makes Colt's buffer tubes, they are the same spec....Both Vltor and LMT SOPMOD stocks will fit perfectly on the Stag tube.

-The Stag handguard only had 1 heat shiled.

-The Stag has a M16 style bolt carrier that covers the firing pin. The Colt has Colt's nuetered bolt carrier group. I prefer Stag's bolt carrier group.

If you got to www.stagarms.com they only offer 3 different carbines and 1 20" flat top AR15A3. On Stag's website the guns start off at $900 and go up. NONE of Stag's dealers (that I could find) carry COMPLETE Rifle / Carbines. BUT many of the dealers carry COMPLETE UPPERS and COMPLETE LOWERS (you just have to put the upper on the lower and close the pins).

www.eaglefirearms.net in Brighton, CO. carries the COMPLETE Carbine lower for $215 and the COMPLETE M4 upper (no carry handle) for $429. That is $644 (plus tax, shipping, and transfer fee....still under $700) for a COMPLETE M4 carbine, that is pretty much the same thing as the Colt LE6920. Excluding tax, shipping, transfer fee, you can buy 2 Stag M4's for the price of the average LE6920 (average civilian price on a Colt 6920 is $1250 to $1350).

I just bought 2 complete Stag Carbine's (minus the barrel). I'm putting Rock River Arms mid-length barrels (custom countoured for me by ADCO Firearms) on both guns.

Take care and stay safe

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
They are pretty much the same.  You mostly pay a little extra on the Colt for the name.  Just go with whatever your gut instinct is.  This decision has been beat to death and every time it's just a toss-up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to have a Bushmaster, but got rid of it when I couldn't get over my constant, nagging wonderings about why I hadn't chosen the Colt.  I now have the 6920 and haven't looked back, not even for a second.  However, I've been in the service for almost eleven years and the M4 has been my duty weapon for a while now.  Essentially, I am a Colt loyalist due to my military experiences and the desire to have the closest possible thing to my M4, which the 6920 does moreso than the Patrolman's Carbine.  

I know that'll get a rash of shit from everyone, but I still feel that way.  The Bushmaster is great, as are some of the others, but for a guy who has relied on Colt for more than a decade and in OIF, my LE6920 is simply the only right choice for me, and no arguement will make me feel foolish for paying more for a very similar firearm.  Of course, I'm picky as hell!

If you're not attached to Colt service weapons like I am, then you'll probably never wish you had gotten the 6920.  If you are, though, my personal recommendation is obvious.  In any case, you'll have a fine firearm and a lot of fun.  Good luck!PS - Due to Colt's restructuring and the undeniable Colt following everyone loves to poke at, if you do get a LE6920, the value will probably never go down if you take care of it.  Your Bushmaster's value will, simply because Bushmaster is easy to get and has no plan to cease civilian sales and manufacture.  In that respect, though, Bushamster famously has better civilian customer care - if you care about those things.  Okay, now I'm done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Jeff, how do you sling up those bad boys?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Jeff, how do you sling up those bad boys?

Single point slings.....if you look carefully between the castle nut on the buffer tube and the lower receiver you can see the single point sling plates (one is darker than the other).

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top