Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2004 7:54:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 7:55:17 PM EST by pinepig2]
I'm hoping to put together a more ideal (for me) Colt LE patrol rifle than the stock models. What I'd like is 6721 with a lightweight 1x7 barrel, as used on the Colt 6520 carbine. I can get the 6721 at a good price, but the only 6520 barrel/front sight assemblies in stock that I'm aware of are $400 at SAW Sales. I don't want a Bushmaster barrel, or any barrel that does not have the M4 height FSB.

One thing to verify beforehand: do both the 6721 and 6520 have the M4 feed ramp cuts?

Another, longer-term, option is to build from the ground up on a 6721 lower, if they are available (outside of SAW). If anyone has them, please email/IM me.

The final, more complicated, possibility is to go with a high quality 16" stainless barrel (1x8 ok), if they can be obtained in a lightweight profile that would fit an M4 FSB (I don't have a source for the appropriate FSB, either). It would have to be lighter overall than a 16" M4 barrel (6920), or it would defeat my purpose. Also, slots/flats for the FSB would have to be cut, and a coating that matches the stock parkerizing applied. The carbine would have to look stock to get approved for duty. Slapping on a 6520 barrel seems like a easier/better option (I think that's something I could handle myself).

I appreciate any input.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:46:06 PM EST
A thought just hit me: the FSB on the 6520 barrel won't be the correct height for a flat top. Damn!

Is there even a FSB manafuctured that will provide the correct height for a flat top when mounted on a lightweight profile barrel? I'm assuming a FSB for an M4 or heavy barrel will not fit on a lt. wt. barrel, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:59:04 AM EST
Don't you think it would be easier to build this rifle? BTW. The Colt 6721 has a heavy-barrel.

Sammy

Originally Posted By pinepig2:
A thought just hit me: the FSB on the 6520 barrel won't be the correct height for a flat top. Damn!

Is there even a FSB manafuctured that will provide the correct height for a flat top when mounted on a lightweight profile barrel? I'm assuming a FSB for an M4 or heavy barrel will not fit on a lt. wt. barrel, but I could be wrong.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:25:02 PM EST
What is an M4 height FSB? Is the sight base shorter??? What barrels have them. How can I tell???
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:02:43 PM EST
The heavy barrel I'd take off and sell. Due to the scarcity of new Colt parts at reasonable prices (not SAW), building from the ground up doesn't seem like an easy proposition. I can't even find a 6721 lower.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:06:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By KurtVF:
What is an M4 height FSB? Is the sight base shorter??? What barrels have them. How can I tell???

It's a taller FSB that's fully compatible with the taller rear sight that flat-tops have. I know colt M4/6920's have them, there are probably others. I think there is a marking ("F"?) on the FSB indicating the taller ones, but other experts should chime in to verify.
Top Top