Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 7:31:35 AM EDT
I have a Colt that I would like more information on.  I am suspecting that it is the so called 6701 limited edition based on the serial number.  The gun says Sporter Competition HBAR and has a serial number of CH001###.  It came with a colt stamped ARMS #5 mount.  It is a flattop and has no bayonet lug.  I have been told before it was a limited edition 6701 but have never verified this with colt and am not really sure what is special about the gun.  Anybody here have any info on these and what they are worth?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My reference states that the R6701 Sporter Competition HBAR was the same as the R6700 except for the scope base.
It also states that it was one of the Colt models that came from the factory with the infamous "Accuwedge" as original equipment. There's no indication that I can find as to how many were built.  The reference implies that the R6700 Series was the first to use the flat top receiver.
Wouldn't have a clue as to value, but the scope mount would undoubtedly be worth something to a collector.  The "CH" prefix serial number was used for "Pre-ban Competition HBARs" and the last serial number made was CH019500.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My reference states that the R6701 Sporter Competition HBAR was the same as the R6700 except for the scope base.
It also states that it was one of the Colt models that came from the factory with the infamous "Accuwedge" as original equipment. There's no indication that I can find as to how many were built.  The reference implies that the R6700 Series was the first to use the flat top receiver.
Wouldn't have a clue as to value, but the scope mount would undoubtedly be worth something to a collector.  The "CH" prefix serial number was used for "Pre-ban Competition HBARs" and the last serial number made was CH019500.

Does your reference note anything about brass deflectors on either model?  I've seen a chart that says the 6700 doesn't have the brass deflector and the 6701 does.  I'm thinking the chart I was looking at is not accurate.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The reference is "Black Rifle II" for what its worth.  

It shows a picture of the "R6700CH Sporter Competition HBAR Range Selected" and it DOES have a brass deflector. The R6700CH was sold with a factory fitted 3-9X scope. The inference is that the basic riifle is otherwise identicle to the R6700/6701. There are no other pictures of the 6700/6701 series rifles and nothing in the supporting text that addresses brass deflectors on this model.  My guess is that all of the R6700 series do have brass deflectors but I can't back it up with any data.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.  I need to get that book.

OP - One of the easiest ways to get info is call Colt Customer Service, 1800 962 COLT.  I had them check an SP1 for me a couple months ago and it only took a few minutes, once you get a human that is.  I'm pretty sure they offer some type of authenticity document for a fee.

You can also try the Colt Site under Industry.  They may be able to help.

Nice rifle either way!

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 to the last post. Call Colt and they will be able to tell you right off what model it was and the year or production. If you want it for about $75 the will send you a signed letter of record from their historical/archive department telling you all that info plus the original disposition of the gun (whether it was a special order or if it was sent to a specific shop or distributor).

-RH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top