Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 6:17:57 PM EDT
Guys:   I'm looking hard at this particular Colt AR, and I would like to read your commentary.

The muzzle brake; How is it attached?  Is it possible to simply run the gun without it?  Fit and finish the same as other Colts?  Thanks for your feedback.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine is just perfect - fit and finish is superb, but I have heard that some are not.  I have a Bushmaster Varminter and the fit and finish are about equal, although the stampings on the metal lool a bit clearer on the Bushmaster - so what?  Muzzle brake is attached by pins - why would you want to shoot without it?  It makes a lot of noise, but it is a gun, eh??[img]http://www.fototime.com/0850583B96F650C/standard.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guys:   I'm looking hard at this particular Colt AR, and I would like to read your commentary.

The muzzle brake; How is it attached?  Is it possible to simply run the gun without it?  Fit and finish the same as other Colts?  Thanks for your feedback.
View Quote

Fit and finish are good.  If you want close to an M4 without a RAS or anything, this is the one to get.  I have/had two "problems" with mine.  The big Colt fire control parts and the f'ing compensator.  Take a punch and a hammer, and preferably a friend to hold the weapon and [u]gently[/u] tap the pins out.  About half an inch back there will be a groove on top and one on the bottom.  It will shoot fine like that.  However if you're a gun show commando like me and want "the look", you have some choices.  The muzzlebrake that comes on the rifle is the loudest I've ever heard.  There are set screw ones offered by a few companies and they're easy to remove in case you might want to add a true FS [b][u]if[/b][/u] the ban sunsets. Kurts Kustom Firearms has several fake flash suppressors and several compensators he can put on for you.   Fulton Armory has what they call "the look" it's a fake FS, it requires some modification to your barrel.  Me223, here on AR15.com also does muzzlebrake and I believe FFS work.  But, trust me you don't want that brake on unless you're going to use it in a three gun match.  With earplugs it was as loud or louder than a 30.06 without any hearing protection. It makes leaves, grass and dirt fly if you shoot prone.  

Good Luck,

TS

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys:    That is what I wanted to know.  The extra noise and flying debris are the two negatives I have read about before.......but I've never had a brake, so thought I'd ask.  I would just leave it off until the sunset, then have a real flash suppressor installed.  Thanks again for the input.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
F&F are fine on mine. Haven't seen bad before so I don't know what to compare it to. The comp is loud but not nearly as loud as the one on the Bushy M4gery (Mini-Y comp).

I really like mine and it rocks in 3-gun. I'm looking to get an EOTech for it soon.

Edited to fix my poor grammar.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 6400c and it's great.  Fit & finish on mine is perfect.  I don't think the brake is that bad.  I've shot it indoors and outdoors without noticing any blast.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
F&F are fine on mine. Haven't seen bad before so I don't know what to compare it to. The comp is loud but nearly as loud as the one on the Bushy M4gery (Mini-Y comp).

I really liked mine and it rocks in 3-gun. I'm looking to get an EOTech for it soon.
View Quote

If the Mini-Y is louder than that Miculek, I'd demand a refund from Bushmaster.  At least the Miculek comes off.  That's just me.  However it works for you, it's a good gun.

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I would (try to) give some advice on the EOTech, but I'm not an expert at it.  Look on the Sights, Mounts, etc board and look for Chen Lee, SMGLee and EOTech.  The AA battery version has easier batteries to get, but it is harder to mount forward.  Chen Lee also has a good article about the EOTech and mounting one an the Maryland AR15 site.  

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
F&F are fine on mine. Haven't seen bad before so I don't know what to compare it to. The comp is loud but nearly as loud as the one on the Bushy M4gery (Mini-Y comp).

I really liked mine and it rocks in 3-gun. I'm looking to get an EOTech for it soon.
View Quote

If the Mini-Y is louder than that Miculek, I'd demand a refund from Bushmaster.  At least the Miculek comes off.  That's just me.  However it works for you, it's a good gun.
TS
View Quote

I've owned both (got rid of the Bushy) and the Mini-Y (IMO) is definitely louder. This from someone who bedded down literally under the gun of a 155mm during a fire mission. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would (try to) give some advice on the EOTech, but I'm not an expert at it.  Look on the Sights, Mounts, etc board and look for Chen Lee, SMGLee and EOTech.  The AA battery version has easier batteries to get, but it is harder to mount forward.  Chen Lee also has a good article about the EOTech and mounting one an the Maryland AR15 site.  

TS
View Quote

Thanks! I just pinged CMMG about the 511's he's advertising on the EE.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Fit and finish on mine were great. I love the "M-4 Carbine" marking on the lower. I'm waiting for the upper to come back from Wilson's where I'm having their wannabe-flash-hider muzzle break installed. Then on with the RAS, Aimpoint on railgrabber, and ARMS #40 BUIS. Afghanistan, anyone?!  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fit and finish on mine were great. I love the "M-4 Carbine" marking on the lower. I'm waiting for the upper to come back from Wilson's where I'm having their wannabe-flash-hider muzzle break installed. Then on with the RAS, Aimpoint on railgrabber, and ARMS #40 BUIS. Afghanistan, anyone?!  
View Quote

Sounds like we're going pretty much the same way...

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TS
View Quote

I've owned both (got rid of the Bushy) and the Mini-Y (IMO) is definitely louder. This from someone who bedded down literally under the gun of a 155mm during a fire mission. [BD]
View Quote

Damn, that thing's got to be loud.  And to hear people bitch about the AK brake on the Shorty AK.

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I love mine.  I got it a year ago.  I put one of these on mine.

[img]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductImages/1040_3.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.sogarmory.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine is just perfect - fit and finish is superb, but I have heard that some are not.  I have a Bushmaster Varminter and the fit and finish are about equal, although the stampings on the metal lool a bit clearer on the Bushmaster - so what?  Muzzle brake is attached by pins - why would you want to shoot without it?  It makes a lot of noise, but it is a gun, eh??[url]http://www.fototime.com/0850583B96F650C/standard.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Hey 88balanced.

Where did you get your 6400? What did it set you back? I have been thinking about purchasing one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I was also wondering what you guys do with the top handguard on the M4.  I will transfer my 38EX Swan sleeve and Aimpoint M2 over to the M4, but I understand the top portion of the handguard gets in the way.  Is there some kind of rail system that will match up with the ARMS Swan for the handguard upper?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was also wondering what you guys do with the top handguard on the M4.  I will transfer my 38EX Swan sleeve and Aimpoint M2 over to the M4, but I understand the top portion of the handguard gets in the way.  Is there some kind of rail system that will match up with the ARMS Swan for the handguard upper?  Thanks.
View Quote

That's true about the ARMS sleeve.  The GG&G will clear the handguard.  I believe that the Samco M4 handguard will allow the ARMS sleeve to clear, but haven't actually seen it. You can file down the handguard to make it clear, I've seen pictures of that.  Then there's always the three letter acronym rail systems, RAS, etc.

Hope that was some kind of help,

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fit and finish the same as other Colts?  Thanks for your feedback.
View Quote

Fit and finish are good.
View Quote

When I said (just) good, I meant excellent.  I've had mine for about a year.  Never been in a case, no dings or screwed up finish.  Unless you count brass on the brass deflector. [}:D]

TS
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Hey 88balanced.

Where did you get your 6400? What did it set you back? I have been thinking about purchasing one.
View Quote

I got it at Scottsdale Gun Center, he admits he is the "gun "wh^$e" - his prices are reasonable, although for the M4, it was under $1,000, but not by much since he said they were hard to get.  Still, I haven't seen them for less anywhere in the Phoenix area - most shops want to charge about $1,100, which I think is way too much.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hey 88balanced.

View Quote

I got it at Scottsdale Gun Center, he admits he is the "gun "wh^$e" - his prices are reasonable, although for the M4, it was under $1,000, but not by much since he said they were hard to get.  Still, I haven't seen them for less anywhere in the Phoenix area - most shops want to charge about $1,100, which I think is way too much.
View Quote

I have had a hard time finding one at local gun shops. I wonder if Specialized Armament Warehouse has any in stock.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hey 88balanced.

View Quote

View Quote

Under $1000 w/ tax is a steal.  $1100 w/ tax is a decent buy, unless you see one at a gunshow on a Sunday evening.

TS

BTW: pg. 45 SGN 4/21/03 price: $999.00
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Got my 6400C from ozarkguns.com for 969 + 20 shipping to my FFL.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#22]
There's one for sale now in EE for $900.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#23]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=13987[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=13987[/url]
View Quote

Please explain. Looks like a KKF A3TB. ?

I ordered a KKF A2 FFS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=13987[/url]
View Quote

Please explain. Looks like a KKF A3TB. ?

I ordered a KKF A2 FFS.
View Quote

It is one of these:

[img]http://www.sogarmory.com/ProductImages/1040_3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#26]

I have had a hard time finding one at local gun shops. I wonder if Specialized Armament Warehouse has any in stock.
View Quote

I know Bear Arms in Scottsdale has them in stock, at least as of last week.  Don't recall the price, but I think it was $1,100.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I picked mine up from ArmyInf over on the EE.  I think I paid $975 with shipping.  My local dealer FINALLY got one in stock and he's asking $1070.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I picked mine up from ArmyInf over on the EE.  I think I paid $975 with shipping.  My local dealer FINALLY got one in stock and he's asking $1070.
View Quote

Good deal.  You'll enjoy it.

TS

BTW; bigsapper, "it" is a sogarmory A2 look-a-like set screw comp.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top