Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 5:40:28 AM EDT
Does Colt make a 1/7 14.5 w/Phantom Perm attached? If so who on the board carries them?
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
no, AFAIK Colt doesn't manufacture such a barrel. their barrel come with the standard A2 FH
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
no, AFAIK Colt doesn't manufacture such a barrel. their barrel come with the standard A2 FH

Frens is correct, also as far as I know

I am not even aware of a dealer that will do it for you, unless maybe Specialized Armament

They sell the barrels, and sell Vortex FH's so they will probably fix you up. LINK

They sell only new stuff and are top of the heap for Colt parts, and complete firearms

Otherwise, you can look through the Equipment Exchange for something. Team Member skich sells M4 barrels (new, Colt) so maybe he could get it done for you.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the barrel, have ADCO perm attach a FH for 16 inches OAL.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't need a colt, bushmaster makes them in exactly what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#5]
No it doesn't have to be a Colt. I can drop the the Bushy in my Colt upper.

Speaking of uppers, who makes the Colt upper? I was at a Fun Show this weekend and I saw a Stag lower with an upper that had the Key-hole marking on it like my Colt but no C.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster barrels are pretty much the same as a COLT barrel... Bushmaster uses 4150 steel and chrome lines their barrels... The only difference is that the Bushmaster will have an A2 type FSB and comes standard with 1/9" twist ratio unless you request one with 1/7"...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No it doesn't have to be a Colt. I can drop the the Bushy in my Colt upper.

Speaking of uppers, who makes the Colt upper? I was at a Fun Show this weekend and I saw a Stag lower with an upper that had the Key-hole marking on it like my Colt but no C.

COLT uses several different forge companies forgings... They usually finishes their own uppers...

If the upper you seen only had the keyhole marking all by itself, its a good a guess as any as to who finished that receiver... Possibly CMT/STAG finished it since the AR was built off of a STAG lower...

Below are a few different forge manufacturers codes:

AF – Alcoa Forge
AH – Anchor Harvey
Picture of Bird Head – Cardinal Forge
Keyhole – Cerro Fabricated Products
K - Kaise
M - Martin Marietta

Below are a few finishers codes:

P - CAPCO
L - LAR
C - COLT
D - Diemaco
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#8]
SKICH on the EE has Colt 14.5 SOCOMs for a real good price - just ordered 2 from him.  Talon Arms has an extended A2 FH that looks really nice so that it can be used with a 14.5 to get to 16.1".  The standard A2 pinned on a 14.5 is too short - hence all the Vortex pinners you see.

CMMG has them mil spec with a standard A2 but they went with a 14.7 inch barrel so the standard A2 pinned will be a legal 16.1ish or so......

dunno know why but I love the 14.5 M4s old school with iron sights and a first gen 2 position stock.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Buy the barrel, have ADCO perm attach a FH for 16 inches OAL.

Brian

+1 ...... you won't have to wait long with ADCO either. I just sent out an old Bushy barrel to ADCO to have the end threaded and a Phantom attached. I sent it out this past Sat. and I just got an e-mail today with the return tracking number. I'll have my barrel back in my hands Thursday....... less than a week from the point I sent it out. As stated on these forums a million times (now a million and ONE) ADCO is on top of their game.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought an upper from Tony's custom uppers at a gun show in Fredericksburg Va. about a month ago. The tag said COLT A4 FLATTOP upper. It has contoured 203 mountable barrel marked with
C          MP 5.56 NATO 1/7. It did have an A2 FH but I have since replaced it with a YHM-28 the barrel with closed bolt measures 14.5" If this isn't a colt then I got ripped off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't buy a 14.5 barrel without an NFA form can I?

I would like to get a Colt 14.5 SOCOM from skich and send it to ADCO for the Perm.

I would rather keep my Colt  a Colt if I can. I just think the 14.5 profile looks so much better.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I can't buy a 14.5 barrel without an NFA form can I? You can buy it... Just don't install the upper onto the lower until the flash hider is permanently attached...

I would like to get a Colt 14.5 SOCOM from skich and send it to ADCO for the Perm. Very good choice of barrel and gunsmith...

I would rather keep my Colt  a Colt if I can. I just think the 14.5 profile looks so much better.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bought an upper from Tony's custom uppers at a gun show in Fredericksburg Va. about a month ago. The tag said COLT A4 FLATTOP upper. It has contoured 203 mountable barrel marked with
C          MP 5.56 NATO 1/7. It did have an A2 FH but I have since replaced it with a YHM-28 the barrel with closed bolt measures 14.5" If this isn't a colt then I got ripped off.

From your description, you definitly have a COLT barrel...

C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7

C = COLT
M = Magnetic Particle Inspection (similar to Magnaflux)...
P = Proof Load Firing has been performed...
5.56 NATO = 5.56x45 NATO chamber...
1/7 = 1/7" twist ratio barrel...

What Kind of identification markings are on the receiver?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
On the right  hand side just behind the brass deflector and above fwd assist there is a symbol that looks like a fish or somewhat like a padlock almost. The Upper is mounted to a RRA A2 lower.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
On the right  hand side just behind the brass deflector and above fwd assist there is a symbol that looks like a fish or somewhat like a padlock almost. The Upper is mounted to a RRA A2 lower.

That's what we call a "keyhole" and would indicate that it is a "Cerro fabricated product" forged receiver...

Without any other markings on the receiver it would be hard to identify who did the final finishing of the receiver...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Without B/BC I paid $450 I was pretty sure it was a Colt because the markings are the same as what is on My Marine Corps service rifle but when I saw this post I was a little shocked. So if you were mythbusters would you say that it is possible that Colt offers 14.5" barrels?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top