Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 7:16:28 PM EDT
I have seen very few photos of collapsible stocks on rifle length AR's.  Is there a reason(s) why putting a collapsible stock on a rifle is such an uncommon practice?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Some people just dont like the look.. then you have the guys that just dont think to do it because its not the "tacticool" thing to do. Then there are the guys that just like the fixed A2 or A1 stocks.
I actually like the settup and i have seen quite a few people on here that are happy with it...the function is much better for me.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Rifle length upper on a adjustable stock carbine lower is my favorite configuration.Works perfectly and is very functional.
For regular run of the mill .223 Rem ammo,to include wolf, run the CAR weight buffer.If you primarily shoot true 5.56 NATO an H or H2 will be more in line with what you want for a buffer depending on the ammo.Otherwise run a standard Colt 4 coil extractor spring and black insert.
Some folks say the configuration is unbalanced....I have two Armalite M15A4 SPR 20" uppers on LMT Defender SOPMOD stock lowers with ADM Recon mounts holding Burris Tac 3x9x40 and the balance point is right at the delta ring.In my opinion perfect.
Canada has been using this configuration for sometime.Do a web search for the C7A2.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
i just put a BCM 20" upper on a BCM lower, with a sopmod stock. i will try it for the first time today, if it is nose heavy shooting [don't feel like it now] i will add batteries to the storage space in the stock. the main reason i did used this configuration, is simply because i didn't want to have to change the receiver extension, and buy an A2 stock. i think it will be just fine,, besides i like my collapsible moved forward 1 hole, for shortened length of pull. i emailed a more knowledgeable  shooter than myself on this board and he suggested i use a standard carbine buffer, and it will be GTG it looks real nice, and you KNOW this BCM will be a good shooter..
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Fairly common, actually.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to the Colt Canada/Diemaco website you will see them in use in the Canadien military.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I always liked a 20" barrel rifle and collapsable stock.

Carbines with fixed stock were never my taste though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
those A2 stocks are not a total loss though, as you can carry spare parts [ a lot, actually], oil, cleaning gear or whatever in them. this,, along with a "stow-a-way" pistol grip [i carry a spare bolt in mine] will give you some repair parts, in the field, or woods. i guess i shot a h-bar so much in NRA matches, i just like them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Best configuration out there for my personal shooting habits.  You retain all the velocity accuracy and reliability of the full length gas system while still having improved mobility.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool.  This is all good news to hear.

I looked through the thread entitled "AR Family Picture Thread" and there wasn't a single 20 incher with a collapsible stock.  I also looked through the "Official AR15.com Picture Thread...Part 20".  I only went through about six or seven pages, but don't remember seeing very many of them.

I think, perhaps, I will give a collapsible stock a try.  I was mainly worried that I wasn't seeing pictures of them because it threw the balance way off or something to that effect.

dan1802 - what hand guards are those?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Longer barrels weight more. Fixed stocks generally weigh more to help with balance.

I use a heavy collapsible stock on my 18" gun(ubr).
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cool.  This is all good news to hear.

I looked through the thread entitled "AR Family Picture Thread" and there wasn't a single 20 incher with a collapsible stock.  I also looked through the "Official AR15.com Picture Thread...Part 20".  I only went through about six or seven pages, but don't remember seeing very many of them.

I think, perhaps, I will give a collapsible stock a try.  I was mainly worried that I wasn't seeing pictures of them because it threw the balance way off or something to that effect.

dan1802 - what hand guards are those?

the handguard on my rifle is a C-more free float rail.
as far as the balance issue, my rifle is perfectly balanced and is very nice to lug around and fire..not to mention easier to store away.
Id suggest a beefier stock such as the CAA stock i have installed that has a little more weight to it and also gives you a place to store either batteries or a extra bolt/fireing pin , lub ect ect.. the extra rubber pad on that stock is very nice aswell and helps grip your shoulder but not get stuck to your shirt when down on a sling.. I use that stock on my POF AR aswell and its worked well for me.
im sure there are tons of other stock options that would fit your need.

and i know what front heavy is shes a bit front heavy but not bad.
my other rifle with same style stock..id give them a try

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I run a 20" lightweight along with Magpul's ACS. Balance is right at the magwell, I'm in love with this rifle.

If you want to do it, don't worry about whether it is "tacticool" or not. Run what works for you, not what others think should work for you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i just put a BCM 20" upper on a BCM lower, with a sopmod stock. i will try it for the first time today, if it is nose heavy shooting [don't feel like it now] i will add batteries to the storage space in the stock. the main reason i did used this configuration, is simply because i didn't want to have to change the receiver extension, and buy an A2 stock. i think it will be just fine,, besides i like my collapsible moved forward 1 hole, for shortened length of pull. i emailed a more knowledgeable  shooter than myself on this board and he suggested i use a standard carbine buffer, and it will be GTG it looks real nice, and you KNOW this BCM will be a good shooter..

welll,,, my shooting buddy and myself test-fired this bad-boy today. i used 4 different brand mags, 5 types ammo of from 50gr fed to 75gr priva––without a burp. [as expected]] i'm gonna leave this rifle in this configuration, feels good. i had about forgot how smooth a rifle length shoots, and this one is dead-nutz accurate. really glad i put this together––-another keeper.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Stone knives and bear skins.  Folks are living in the dark age and don't know whats best.  They also tend to think it looks goofy.  

Here is mine.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
they look damn sexy to me

i call for a 20 inch/carbine stock picture thread!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it all depends on what sort of LOP you like to have.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If I ever do up a 20" build I'll probably go with a UBR.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top