Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2003 4:13:16 PM EDT
Just curious how many of you use fixed stocks on your preban carbines.  I've been thinking of replacing my collapsible stock with a fixed for one main reason - I end up extending the collapsible stock to an A1/A2 position anyways before shooting.  

I know the collapsible is "cool" and can only be had on a preban rifle, but is it really practical.

Interested in your opinions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I was just talking about this topic today with a friend. My theory is, all Preban AR15's will be converted the collapsible stock carbines and all Postban's will the fixedstock rifles. Of coarse, this will change next year if the AW Bill sunsets.

You can always buy a carbine receiver extension and use the Vltor stock (both carbine and rifle stocks fit the carbine receiver extension). Another option is the Magpul M93, and with the M95 rifle stock upgrade. With those options, why have a fix stock preban?

ls
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Collapsible.
I find that a position shorter than fully extended works best for my body.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a collapsible on mine.I'd prefer an A1 stock but like the collapsible feature for storage reasons.I hate the sloppiness of the collapsibles but plan on buying a Magpul in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Collapsible.  I prefer a shorter lenght of pull, and the length depecds on how much or how little gear I have on.

Redbone, do you have an evil monkey living in your closet?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the collapsible. I too don't extend it all the way. I like it because I can adjust it shorter for body armor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Redbone, do you have an evil monkey living in your closet?
View Quote

My wife thinks I have an evil monkey living in my pants, but that's another story [:O]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a nice old SP1 carbine with the colapsible stock, like the cool factor and compact storage factor, it fits into a really short soft case that does not scream GUN when you see it.

Another pre-ban 16" I took the colapsible off and installed a regular A2 buttstock.  This one I shoot quite a bit and since I have a beard when it gets pinched in that sloppy stock when getting a cheek weld you loose your concentration momentarily!
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:13:42 AM EDT
[#8]
A1 stock offers the best balance of compact size and good ergonomics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 2:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an A1 on my A2 and a Vltor on my Carbine.

Like Knight, I like to adjust to what gear I have.  Usually 1 to 2 notches from closed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:04:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Ask a SEAL sniper.  For their job, many prefer A1s.  No silly laws or cool factors affecting their choice.

(edited to add:  Yes, even their CQB/entry duties, not just Ghilli suit 308 bolt gun stuff. SEAL sniper is a misunderstood job and might not have not been the best example)

BUT ANYWAY:...I love my Colt ribbed collapsible.  More versatile.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I just picked up a pre-ban lower primarily for the collapsible stock. Being able to adjust the LOP on-the-fly makes a rifle much more versatile IMO. IF you want to be able to get into a solid CQB stance, you need a short LOP. If it's winter and you're shooting with a jacket on, being able to adjust the LOP allows you to achieve a comfortable hold. If you're shooting prone, a longer LOP is more comfortable.

The lower is just bought has a RRA 6 pos. stock on it but I'm seriously considering a Magpul M93 in the near future. I like the fact that it allows the user to pre-set different LOPs. I can see that being really handy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the Colt M4 stock on 2 of my prebans, however, my wife prefers the A1 stock on hers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife prefers the 6-pos. collapsable stock because she gets a better cheek hold than with a fixed stock... for this reason we got a preban.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top